Chops builder

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by PLEXIBLE, May 28, 2008.

1. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

Any love for Frank Gambale's Chops builder instructional DVD? I've used his Monster licks and Speed picking instruction for years and have learned alot.

2. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I have both. Meh... they are OK I guess. I love Frank but I never really got anything out of the DVD's

The way he and Zucker for that matter play scales with the up/down/down thing is totally foriegn to me. So I skipped it on the vids and in Jacks book. I dont need to play linear scales at blazing speed.

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I played along with it for awhile a few years back ...
    but really didn't find it all that useful in the long run ...

With that being said... I'm a huge fan of Gambale and have learned a great deal from him
    about the application of jazz theory ... even more then I have sweep picking ...
    Though at one I really did get into sweep picking ... something I don't use too much anymore ...

However, everyonce in a while I get carried away with it ...
    as I did somewhat in this youtube video:

Shamelessly Wanking Santana

4. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I came to the realization while working on this stuff.....I don't really ENJOY the sound of sweep-picking, mostly. It's impressive....and ok in very, very small doses.....but that's it, for me.

I feel the same way about Dimeola-style typewriter alternate pick shredding, BTW.

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Hallelujah and amen!!! And I thought it was me.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

So you guys (Brian and Jim) hate my playing in that video 'eh ..:-(

7. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Dude......you always sound good.

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Joseph!!

You're kidding right?? It's Gambale and DiMeola that I could never wrap my head around.
    I'd rather have one Lucidology CD than all of theirs combined. I'm not blowing smoke, I'm quite serious.

9. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

After watching your youtube video, I would have guessed that you worked on these techniques. Maybe by osmosis, Nice playing. Thanks for the response Dickie. :BEER

10. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

+1 on the application of jazz theory. I wish you would carried away more often. There is a time and place for sweep and speed picking etc.. BTW, Nice playing.

11. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

What about in other styles such as Gypsy Jazz. Django may have been the first sweep picker. I agree with you that any technique can be over done. I enjoyed checking out your website.

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Thanks....

That's why I said "mostly".......anything, in moderation is perfectly cool.

I also tend to enjoy the raw, more imprecise nature of Django's sweeps.........

Don't get me wrong, Gambale's playing is wonderful....and I really like a lot of it, especially his more recent work........but that much sweeping can feel a little mechanical....to ME, of course.

As to the question at hand.........the "Speed Picking" DVD is good if that's what you're looking for......the "Chopsbuilder" might be useful, but I can't get past the silly Olivia Newton -John- like presentation to bother with it.

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Thanks You guys ... I was just playing wit yas ...:BEER

Thanks for the compliment ...
    & yes .... Gambale is actually a great teacher when it comes
    to Jazz theory ...

14. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

If I could sweep pick and play like those guys I would... but I can't.
    I appreciate all music and different player's techniques. I may not bond with a particular music but I do relate to the time and effort they've put into perfecting ther craft. Sometimes I do love a good polka!

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Hating the sound of a guitar technique is silly IMO. It's like hating regional accents. They are all tools. Anything in large doses gets old but these are all techniques to employ in your arsenal. The interesting thing to me is utilizing techniques to go beyond the typical stylistic borders you encounter. I find that most of the closed minds I encounter on message boards come from folks who have already predined what is and what isn't acceptable in a given genre. For example, shredding over a blues or bending notes in jazz.

My novel concept is to play from the heart and not worry about best practices. Just let the music speak for itself. Don't prejudge a technique. It's up to *YOU* to make it interesting, not someone else.

16. gennation

gennation Member

Maybe someone (not me) should come out with a DVD called Music Builder. I'm sure sweeping and alternating picking would have to be part of it, but it could be use for "music" instead of just as "technique". Music consists of many techniques.

17. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Well thank you very much. Really though, Im a hack. Im not saying I dont do some sweep stuff now and then but I didnt get what I do from Frank. Its kind of a mix and match thing of just playing the chord shapes.
    I am however incorporating some of the sweep stuff from Jacks book which really did open it up for me with the 9th, 13th etc... arps. I love Jacks take on it and it sounds awesome to me.

Yeah maybe by osmosis. I think we all incorporate something from the players we dig and I really love Franks playing and writing.

Thanks again for the compliment. I appreciate it.

18. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

And that is spot on!!!

19. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Who said they "hate" anything? Straw Man.

What I said was......I don't enjoy the sound of sweeping, especially when overdone.

That's not a rip on anyone who does it, or who likes.....it's a perfectly valid statement of personal choice.

Fact is....certain techniques produce certain sounds.......obviously, we can enjoy certain sounds or not.

Another example......generally, I prefer the sound of bare fingers on string vs nails........now, that doesn't mean I'm dismissing the entire classical guitar genre or anything, but it is what it is.......a preference.

What's the problem?

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

no problem. Didn't mean to implicate you in my reply.