Choralflange versus Boss CE-1 or Voodoo Labs Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fibber_McGee, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Fibber_McGee

Fibber_McGee Member

I'm searching for a warm chorus pedal, analog is a must, and I want to know some opinions on which of these pedals can produce that vintage sound. I know the choralflange is a dual effect, but the chorus is more what I'm interested in. Let me know what you think....

2. erksin

erksin Member

How 'bout the Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble? It's a CE-1 clone with true bypass...

If you can stomach digital, the DLS Chorus~Vibe is a fantastic vintage-sounding unit for much less than the RetroSonic or the Fulltone and it's stereo...

Mad John likes this.
  3. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

I have the Choral Flange and the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus. The Voodoo lab is a more 80's style of chorus effect while the ChoralFlange strikes me as a bit more modern/HiFi. If you want true vintage chorus I would go with the original Fulltone Dejavibe. That screams early 70's and the "Bridge of sighs" setting is just killer. I have them all because I love all 3 flavors. You may have a preference but none of them are a wrong choice IMO.

4. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

the Retro is the closest thing(86%) to the CE~1, experiance talking.

Mad John likes this.
  5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I haven't tried the Retro-Sonic yet, but when I think "warm", "analog", and "vintage", (add 'lush' if you'd like)... I think of my Analogman Clone Chorus. I agree with TA... I owned the Choralflange and thought it was a bit thin and clinical sounding.

-Ben

6. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

I just got a Retro-Sonic unit. It's amazingly warm, and a great sounding chorus. It's not cheap and uses a 12V wall wart, but I think it's worth it.

7. Yek

Yek Member

I have a Choralflange but if I had space and money I would buy 4 of them, for Leslie, flanger, chorus and vibe settings. I hope the new Fulltone 19" device in 2006 will make this happen.

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

:confused: Why 86%

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I have a Choral Flange, Analogman Mini Clone Chorus, and the CH-1.

First of all, the CE-1 is a nicer sounding chorus than the CH-1 (which never really satisfied me). There are sme mods you can get done to the CE-1 (I think I'd like to have th CH-1 modded).

To my ears, the ChoralFlange does that airy, shimmery "don't notice it till it's off" thing to perfection. With the mix set more towards the chorusing sound, it does warm up. The Mini Clone does that vintage, warm "swishy" chorus thing nicely. Both the ChoralFlange and Mini Clone do a good fast Leslie. The CF basically does a great Hughues and Kettner RotoSphere, which does a great Leslie (did a side by side comparison with a friend in a band I was in).

The Mini Clone captures the Leslie's warmth but can feel just a bit "oscilation-apparent" and not as smooth (did that comparison 2 weeks ago). That said, you can order a Mini Clone with the lighter adjustment that Analog Mike says makes it a bit more "airy," more like a TC Chorus).

Brett

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

11. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

The Voodoo Lab was disappointing - just not alot there. I read one review that said there was only 1 really usable setting - and I realized they were right! I sold mine the next day.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Let's see:
    Voodoo lab-good middle of the road chorus, doesn't do anything perfectly but does most things well.
    Analogman/Small Clone-Minimal control, nice retro chorus, most settings sound great.
    CE-1 I really like these, and since they're only around $200 used in good shape (add a few bucks for true bypass) why not go with what you really like?
    CE-2 A completely different chorus, thick, chewy, really nice for distorted and mono sounds but really loses a lot of the high end-not useful for acoustic.
    Pearl Chorus-a real sleeper, 4 knobs, excellent basic tone and clean enough for acoustic.
    Choral/Flange-I like it, but not enough to use it on my board.
    TCF-very clean and sweet, this is the one I use most of the time.

13. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Retro-sonic! It's central on my board and for my sound. I use it with two amps: one dry, the other with the Ensemble. And I can compare it with many, more pertinently the Choralflange, Maxon CS9, and the DOD 690. I liked both, but not enough to keep. The Choralflange was great and I should really get another because it is a bit brighter than the Retro-sonic Chorus Ensemble. Personally, that's not what I was wanting, though: crisp and bright and hi-fi just seemed the wrong vibe. The only other I'd consider is the Maxon CS9, and I'd have kept that too if I had had the cash. It's a great pedal, but was a bit murky for me and had some unusable sounds. All in all, the R-s ended my chorus search and I'm back to playing instead of tweaking. Took a long time to settle and it really is one of the ultimate personal tone searches. Have fun and have patience!
    :)

14. msp

msp Member

I have owned the analogman chorus and currently own the retro-sonic ce-1 clone

it has been stated prior that the ce-1 clone is only 86% of the origonal. this may be true.............but i feel like the opposing 14% are improvments on the origonal.........the retro-sonic is a clone built to modern specs ...it lacks the problems that are affiliated with vintage gear

i think there are pobably no better chorus stompers than the analogman and retrosonic........to my ears they are equal competitors the quality is the same and the tones are rich and organic

the retro sonic wins to my ears but if i were to own a AM bi-chorus i would reconsider......as this would be more of a realistic competitor in a live situation

both stand toe to toe and have there own strengths

Mad John likes this.
  15. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I emailed AnalogMike about the possibility of building a "dual-chorus" which would be 2 Mini Clones in series in a Bi-chorus sized box. He said he was messing with somethng like that just for kicks but didn't think there would be much of a demand for it.

One thing that sounds very nice is the Mini (fast Leslie swirl) going into the CH-1 (slower shimmer). Since the Mini dominates, the CH-1 supports it and gives it a slightly "slippery" feel, sort of the audio version of a heat shimmer.

Brett

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

TC Electronic chorus/flanger, A/DA Flanger (amazing chorus)...

17. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've owned all three.
    Didn't like the VooDoo at all - bright
    CE-1 has too many issues- tone sucking/expensive
    Choralflange is very nice- sounds real good/versatile/built well

IMHO if your looking for a warm analog chorus you can't go wrong with a Boss CE-2. I've used one on every gig I've played since the early 80's & have never found anything I like better.