• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

chord melody recordings please

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Hey all, I was wondering if you folks could recommend some great guitar chord melody recordings. I already have the quintessential Joe Pass Virtuoso cd's, tons of Lenny Breau and a Jimmy Bruno recording. I figure there must be some other jems out there that I'm not familiar with. Thanks

PS; Did Pat Martino ever record a solo guitar record? That would be mind blowingly cool!

ando

Silver Supporting Member
joe pass 'blues for fred' is one i like alot...check out 'artistry' by martin taylor..anything by martin taylor...also, a disc by ron affif called 'solotude'...great stuff...i just picked up a disc called 'world of fingerstyle guitar' that's pretty good too..

Strung Up

Any Johnny Smith, George Van Eps.

Mundell Lowe, Ted Greene, Joe Beck, Gene Bertoncini, Howard Alden, Lenny Breau, Philip DeGruy, Jimmy Ponder, Jack Wilkins, Joe Diorio, John Hart, John Stowell

Somewhat further afield: Steve Khan, Ralph Towner, (acoustic) Bill Connors, Egberto Gismonti, just about any Brazilian guitarist . . .

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. How did I forget to mention Ted Greene!

musicman1

Bucky Pizzarelli (a true master of the style), Tony Mottola (another chord melody master but you have to get through his "pop/muzak" work to get to it), Al Caiola, Vic Juris, George Van Eps, Johnny Smith, Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Charlie Byrd, Gene Bertoncini, Howard Roberts, Pat Metheny, Joe Beck, ...

Most of the "greats" can/do/and did play in this style. Some have entire albums played this way and some will just use chord melody solos in place of single notes/lines.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I could have been a little more specific by saying that I'm looking specifically for full albums of only solo guitar - chord melody music ala Virtuoso. If you have any specific albums, (cd's whatever) that I should check out that would be extra helpful. Thanks again for all of the ideas. A lot of great musicians for me to check out.

KRosser

Johnny Smith "The Man With The Blue Guitar"

Ted Greene "Solo Guitar"

Joe Diorio "Solo Guitar"

Pat Martino recorded two solo tracks on "Consciousness" and a couple on "Starbright" as well, though the former is the consistently better record overall IMHO.

Jim Hall is also one of my favorite chord melody players but he's never done a record of entirely chord melody - he has one 'solo' record called "Dedications and Inspirations" but it's heavy on the self-overdubs - an amazing record and one of my faves of his, but maybe a better recommendation for another list...

I also adore Ralph Towner's "Solo Concert" but there we're starting to drift a little from what you probably think of as conventional chord melody.

JSeth

Howard Alden and George Van Epps - 13 strings
anything with Van Epps has really juicy melody chording....

Also, "Uptown" - Andre Previn, Ray Brown and Mundell Lowe...
Mundell Lowe does some really nice stuff too!!!

MarcJ

Martin Taylor's Artistry would be at the top of my list, and of course the Joe Pass Virtuoso recordings.

Trending Topics