Chord melody stuff

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Ejay, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Reported him also!

Bluesful likes this.
  2. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Thats a great tune!!
    Tried a couple of bars...the key of F is a bit unfortunate..gets you either to low..or to high for comfort.
    Id go C to make your life easier.

Guitardave likes this.
  3. russ6100

russ6100 Member

I'm guessing some additional compression(?) Pre? Post? All of the above? It sounds amazing!

guitarjazz likes this.
  4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Are you using a touch of modulated delay?

5. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Theres a tad pre compression. Because in recorded at a way to low level, i grabbed a maximizer to compensate the level. (Reported to the recording police :))
    I dialed the amp to just before break up...that gives some nice compression ussually. Mind you...these i played with fingers.

Theres an ever so slight mod at the delay. But.. my time effects always sound modulated cause of my vibrato / intonating...which i seem to do a lot.

guitarjazz likes this.
  6. russ6100

russ6100 Member

I found the resultant compression extremely pleasing to the ear, with no negative side-effects. Couldn't be more musical!

guitarjazz likes this.
  7. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

Ejay this is really nice stuff dude. You are very much ready for prime time in my humble opinion. Chord melodies is part of my learning and practice time right now and has been for the last year when a very accomplished pro jazz player that I started taking online lessons with was highly encouraging me to dive into this as a part of my learning and practice routine.
    I find that it is hard to remember these arrangements once you learn them unless they are played frequently. I'm not to your level of capability mind you, and I don't have enough practice time these days with work and family life getting in the way.

I would say having a bass player allows you more freedoms to be more sparse with chords here and there if the player is outlining chords and harmonic movement with the bass lines. If you are out there by yourself that requires staying to the harmonic content with the chords more fully played along the progression. Good luck to you in the endeavor.

8. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    That’s the point I was trying to make, it’s not so much about learning complicated arrangements as it is to have the tools in your tool box to pull stuff off on the fly. That way if you flub or forget something the whole thing doesn’t fall apart, it’s just like playing any other tune.

dsimon665 likes this.
  9. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

I agree. When its part of your improvisation skills...it gets sustainable.
    Doing a few the last few days...making them up myself....seems to work.
    You kinda reuse the stuff you come up with in different situations...and the proces gets faster and faster.

10. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Right. I don’t think of it as chord melody at all, it’s just playing tunes. At the same time it’s still valuable to work on those more complex arrangements as parts of them will work their way into your vocabulary as well.

guitarjazz likes this.
  11. Megatron

Megatron Member

I study with a 'jazz pro' myself. Usually after I'm done teaching an afternoon/evening of my own students. First thing I have to do on every new tune is a chord melody. I'm usually glad afterwards because I usually have my mind and ear wrapped around the song much better. I finished a Jody Fisher Chord melody book earlier this year that helped as well.

12. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I just loaned a student both my Ted Greene chord books for the holiday. I had fun revisiting them today before the hand-off. Ted was such a fountain of arranging knowledge.

Bluesful likes this.
  13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I still need to grab a copy of Modern Chord Progressions.

guitarjazz likes this.
  14. Bluesful

.......and ordered.

No point procrastinating about it.

guitarjazz likes this.
  15. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

There are endless sequences of I vi ii V7 variations in that book. I think the point isn't to completely master every single one but to try to play through as many as possible.
    I learned three pretty cool chord fingerings today from Ted for
    6X6754 Bb7b5 (with index finger covering the top two notes on two different frets!)
    6X6774 Bb7#5 (second finger covering the two lower notes)
    6X6756 Bb7b5 (second finger covering the two lower notes, ring finger covering the high Bb)
    The game of Finger Twister.

Bluesful likes this.
  16. Bluesful

There's a few voicings in Chord Chemistry like that. I did well to stay out of the ER attempting them.

guitarjazz likes this.
  17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

In Ted's handwriting, towards the end of Modern Chord Progressions he says "if you haven't cussed me out yet, you will now..."

Bluesful likes this.
  18. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

I totally hear you and agree. I'm a long way from being to that level of capability unfortunately...

19. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

20. Bb7

Bb7 Member

Darn that Greene?

He’d probably take
    Am7b5 D7b9 Gmaj7

and go here:
    Am7b5 D7b9 Emaj7

Then modulate the whole tune to Emaj or go into I’ll remember April / April in Paris....

I’ve always liked Bergonzi’s version —

https://www.jeffellwood.net/uploads/6/3/6/0/6360788/bergonzi_standards.pdf