Chord Melody

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by City Kid, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

That voicing? He plays the 4 inversions of it with the diminished a half step prior (half step in the melody) that is the base of what Barry Harris and Randy Vincent teach. The dim/6 scale.
    I tuned out after a while so I dunno if he actually explained the concept of the finished passing chords and chord tones.
    Also if you look at the first couple of bars of Joe Pass playing Stella the F#m7b5 and Dm7 are m11b5 and m11 respectively...so at the very least in addition to "that" m7 voicing it takes the m6 and m7b5 voicings and a handful of dom7 voicings.
    But in essence that IS all it takes to start.

derekd and ned7flat5 like this.
  2. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I was watching the video and getting a tad distracted (I’ve never had much luck with trying to cop Joe Pass’ style from the many books or vids) when Beato started with the Gm7 inversions.

I thought to myself “holy s**t! that does sound like Joe!!”, wrote it out and have been playing it to death ever since.

On account of your illuminations, I probably should now revisit it and figure out what I’m doing :aok.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Ed DeGenaro likes this.
  3. DGA

DGA Member

Check out Tomo's triad lesson thread and scroll down to "Reviewing triad and melody in E":

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/tomos-triad-lesson-vol-1.87931/

He shows you how you can harmonize the major scale, using only the major triads of the I, IV, and V, with different inversions so the melody note is on top.

It goes:
    I(1st) V(R) I(2nd) IV(1st) I(R) IV(2nd) V(2nd) I(1st)

Then you can try to play Twinkle, Twinkle, or whatever simple thing to test it out.

This is similar to how George Van Eps harmonizes the Harmonic minor scale, using only inversions of the i triad and triads pulled from the V7b9 chord.

derekd likes this.
  4. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

If you want to get started by having the song taught to you, though I never used him, check out Jake Brightbart sp? on YT.

He offers video lessons.

derekd likes this.
  5. derekd

derekd Member

Jake Reichbart.

He's a helluva player and member here. He used to post chord melody videos in the Member's Clips & Vid section a few years ago. He also has an instructional video on arranging tunes available.

6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Here's his video lesson page - there's a link to free Youtube lessons, as well as a link to the paid ones:
    https://www.jakereichbart.com/guitar-video-lessons.html

Might eventually buy a couple from him. I know some peeps say "learn theory, then make up your own chord-melody" - I get it, and there's value from making up your own for learning purposes. But his versions of "Babylon Sisters", "Alone Again", and "Hey Nineteen" are way better than mine.

derekd likes this.
  7. derekd

derekd Member

From what I've seen/heard him talk about, he targets melody notes and bass notes then fills in around those two as desired.

He's not nearly chord-focused as I am in his approach.

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Even with this "how stuff works" knowledge, I still don't have the imagination and depth of experience to come up with a chord melody arrangement as good as his, or Galbraith's.

derekd likes this.
  9. derekd

derekd Member

Me neither, but I'm working on it.

My goal is Lenny Breau but I'll need at least another lifetime.

I took a Mike's Master Class a few years ago where Steve Herberman (another great CM player) was teaching some of Lenny's approach to solo guitar. Unfortunately, the laptop I had that on went toes up and I hadn't backed it up.

I need a bigger facepalm. :facepalm

guitarjazz, GovernorSilver and Emigre like this.
  10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Another example:

After the "James" playalong thread was started, I started working on my own chord-melody arrangement of "James" as part of the prep for my playalong submission - which admittedly has yet to happen.

Then I hear Jake's version and I'm like "Damn... didn't think of that... or that... or that... or that..."

So for me, go it alone 100% doesn't work. But I also agree that learning other peep's arrangements and then trying to figure out the underlying theory by myself... also doesn't work. I need a mix of both. Sucks not being a genius.

derekd likes this.
  11. derekd

derekd Member

When I was gigging solo for a few years, most of the arrangements I used were my own. The guy I studied with taught me how to arrange in a very basic way. Studying with Jody Fisher pushed me further introducing me to walking basslines and a few subs.

What I wound up doing was learning 2-3 takes on say, Autumn Leaves and weaving them together. Other than improvising some simple lines between chords, my ability to improvise arrangements is mostly nil. I have to play what I've worked on.

GovernorSilver and Jim Soloway like this.
  12. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

The guy is really good. I dig his version of "How Deep is Your Love"

GovernorSilver likes this.
  13. davess23

davess23 Member

If you're not already aware of Johnny A, you might want to listen to his very musical and accessible chord melody playing. If open tunings don't put you off, Ed Gerhard plays some fine chord melody stuff.

14. City Kid

City Kid Member

I started taking a look at Fareed Haque's TrueFire course tonight. I didn't have my guitar out, I just watched a few lessons. Already a light bulb has turned on for me. This is going to help me a lot.

GovernorSilver likes this.
  15. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Jon Herington's chord-melody books are great. Love his take on Maxine.

16. City Kid

City Kid Member

In Fareed's TrueFire course he mentions one of the tricks that can be used is to make any and every chord a dominant 7 chord. He uses Amazing Grace as a demonstration. But the chords in Amazing Grace are all major chords. What if it was a song that had minor chords in it? Does he literally mean any and every chord in a song can be made a dom 7 regardless of the song or does he mean just the major chords?

derekd likes this.
  17. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Ah, "Fareed's Rules of Chord Substitution"

For that particular rule, my recollection is different than yours. What I recall him saying is:

You can sub a dominant chord for any major chord

which is different from what you said.

derekd likes this.
  18. derekd

derekd Member

Yes, he does though typically we do this with garden variety major chords, it can be done with minor chords, also.

You just have to decide if you like the result or not.

19. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I can't speak for Fareed, but it's a common jazz "rule" that you can sub any chord for a dom7 chord (although it's often in the context of improvising). That said, I hate when people talk about this as a trick. I realize we're talking about chord melody here, which can be a difficult thing to jump into, and he's giving you that advice as often we're just trying to grab whatever extra notes we can grab, but IMO that's more of a last ditch emergency kinda thing, not a go to for building an arrangement.

I guess my point is, if you can't do it with the chord types in the chart you should be working on that first.

20. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Member

When I learned / memorized drop 2 voicings that really opened a lot of doors for me

Ed DeGenaro likes this.