chord voicing - cry of love "pretty as you please"

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by hucklebee, Feb 20, 2009.

1. hucklebee

hucklebee Supporting Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi9sUia6dhU

at 2:06 in, after the A progression... i know it's not an open D... what is that chord? I love it.

the album obviously gives it much more clarity, but hopefully someone can give me some guidance on the fingering.

2. hucklebee

3. stevel

stevel Member

Bad speakers, and crummy video, but I think the one you're talking about is:

x

It's a G sus2. Here's G:

Here's a simple G sus2 (it's add 2 if the B is present, sus 2 if its not):
    x

Note the added A on the 3rd string.

Then, you can take the high G, and move it up to A (and go back and forth between the two if you like)

x

(oh, and by the way, that's like a D5 on top - or D5/G if you like - which why you might be thinking it's "close" to an open D type chord).

That's my best guess without clearer audio and video.

HTH,
    Steve

4. hucklebee

thx man...

i love this band... wish they would have hung together... music world is poorer for them not being together

5. gtrplyr1

gtrplyr1 Member

What Stevel says is absolutely correct. That is the last chord before the solo.

My favorite chord from this song is at the end of the chorus x42400...living pretty as you please.....official name is A(7)/C#

Man I love to hear Audley Play

6. stevel

stevel Member

Actually, that can't be the name. The notes you have as listed would be

C# E B B E

That's a C#m7 without the G# (the fifth, which is a common omission).

It would be (A) C# E B B E, which is an Aadd2, or some people (especially jazzers) call it an Aadd9 (typically though, add2 is used in this octave for the B) if A were being implied (by the bass or other instruments)

It could be Aadd2/C# (or Aadd9/C#) if C# is the lowest note (or we're considering the guitar shape only) but you'd have to be getting the A from somewhere else since he's not playing it in that chord form.

Steve

7. vhollund

vhollund Member

I'm not reading the other responses but i get a G with a 5 (d) on top
    followed by G with 9 (a) on top

great tone by the way

8. gtrplyr1

gtrplyr1 Member

I love this forum and have been lurking here for a long time. There are some really smart people here I am totally in awe.

OK, I just spent way too much time looking at this chord now. I really am stumped as to the name.

I took the chord name from the tab book. Key is Dmajor/Bminor, chord is voiced as I indicated earlier.

I will admit that I was having a difficult time getting the exact voicing when transcribing the song but finally was able to resort to the, now out of print, tab to check my accuracy.

There used to be a forum from england that was hosting scanned images of the book. The forum no longer exists. (maybe because of them publishing on the net copyrighted material, who knows).

The person that ran the forum told me that supposedly Audley had proofread the tabs before the book went to press. I don't doubt it as I had a really tough time nailing the first lick of the solo, even though I do have a lot of experience transcribing, and the printed transcription was perfect.

Steve B.