Chords with non-chord tone bass notes

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Bryan T, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

One of the things I've struggled with is identifying chords with non-chord tone bass notes. G/A or C/F, for example.

What are some tricks you've learned to identify these?

2. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

They are identified exactly this way - they are triads over bass notes.
    Some can be interpreted as a voicing of a four note chord - with your examples, G/A can be an A11, and C/F can be an Fmaj9. But it's usually coincidental.
    Frequently in a chart a series of slash chords will denote the motion of the bass line.

Thumpalumpacus and saltbird like this.
  3. Bryan T

Any tips from an ear-training perspective? Songs that feature a major chord over the second or whatever?

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

In the case of this clip, I figured out the C/Bb by noting that the Bb was kept as a pedal tone while top 3 voices moved up.

I found the F/Eb by noting that the preceding voice-leading of C-> D#dim -> Dmin. The bass note was continuing up to F, while most pf the rest of the voices stayed where they are, except the middle voice dropping down a 2nd to change the Dmin sound to an Fmaj one.

It did help that the music was just one guitar - no other instrumentation other than the player humming the melody very softly.

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I'm not sure what's 'non-chord' about either of those examples?

6. Bryan T

I can easily identify C/C, C/E, and C/G, but with tones outside of the triad I am still in the world of "that's not in the triad."

I can probably do C/Bb and maybe C/D, as well as some of the idiomatic ones. But I can't hear C/F and know what I'm hearing.

Any clearer?

7. Bb7

Bb7 Member

Think of the / as “add”

So C/F can have C,E,G, or F in the bass. Treat them like any other 4-note voicing - work out inversions and move them around diatonically or through a tune.

Some familiar shapes/sounds emerge - G13sus etc.

Check out Dolphin Dance:

derekd likes this.
  8. JonR

JonR Member

Not sure I see the problem. When I hear G/A I hear the "A9sus4" sound, and that's how I "identify" them. A full A9sus4 has an E in it too, but that's not significant. Em7/A sounds close enough to G/A to make little difference.
    The chord has a "V in D major sound", which is the main thing. Or "A mixolydian" sound, of course, if we think modes.

IOW, "G/A" is just a handy shorthand for "A9sus4", it's not any kind of a "G" chord, in the way G/B or G/D are. (Even G/D could be understood as a kind of "Dsus" sound in function, as what the classical dudes call a "cadential 6/4".)

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  9. JonR

JonR Member

No it can't. That's the whole point of the slash, to indicate the bass note. "C/F" can have the C E or G in any order on top, but F is always in the bass. If it isn't it needs a different symbol: Cadd4, Cadd4/E, Cadd4/G. That's where the "add" comes in.

In terms of identifying the sound (with F in the bass), it has a kind of "Fmaj9" sound. If F is not the bass note, then the identity is admittedly ambiguous, because the C-G 5th/4th starts to compete with the F-C 5th/4th for root status.

MikeMcK and R3deemed like this.
  10. sws1

sws1 Member

I love the sound of G/A...of whatever you call it. To my ear, it's a chord that isn't sure if it wants to be a G or an A, and almost works in place of either.

11. Bb7

Bb7 Member

Sure it can. This is a major point in Mick’s almanacs and the Advancing Guitarist.

If the composer/arranger wants a specific pitch in the bass that’s one thing, but if you’re working out voicings it doesn’t matter.

JosephZdyrski and derekd like this.
  12. JonR

JonR Member

Yes, but my point is a slash chord symbol always indicates a bass note. If you're playing with a bassist, they can take that note and you can voice the chord any way you like - probably omitting the bass note altogether. I guess that's the context you (and Mick) are referring to.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  13. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I've understood slash chords to generally have the bass note to the right of the slash. I did vaguely remember that there are also polychords but wasn't sure if the notation was the same as for slash chords.

I don't trust guitar theory sites so I looked around and found two sites that do not use the same notation for both slash chords and polychords. No slash for polychord, basically.

http://www.thejazzpianosite.com/jazz-piano-lessons/jazz-chords/slash-chords/

https://musictheoryonline.com/polychords-what-are-they/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    BuddyGuit and JonR like this.
  14. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

On Keyboard Corner, Kevin Anker (authored/co-authored a couple of books on using Logic Pro) used to argue that chords don't really exist.

I used to think "maybe this user kanker is just full of $hite or taking the pi$$". Then I realized he has a point: A "chord" is really just a snapshot of harmony. Harmony is what you get when you've got two or more voices playing at the same time.

So when now when I try to identify chords, I'm listening for what the voices are and where they are moving, bass being one of those voices.

R3deemed likes this.
  15. Bryan T

Polychords often have a |, not a /.

16. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I have trouble identifying them too. I usually try to learn a tune by ear and use youtube or some chord chart for those pesky slash chords.

17. Tootone

Tootone Member

Don't overthink it.

Just think which is easiest to remember... G/A? or A9sus4? A11add9? Asus? A7sus?

Its good to know how to... but not try to.

18. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Yeah until I saw those articles, I had forgotten that. The 2nd one is better in that it also shows examples of polychords without the divisor line.

But yeah, voice-leading. I recall that's what KRosser said a while back too. The trick is in the voice-leading.

derekd likes this.
  19. StevenA

StevenA Member

Don’t have any tricks but it’s all over this:

JonR likes this.
  20. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

There is almost zero consistent 'science' to chord symbol usage, in the real world. They are like stick figure drawings of chords.

Thumpalumpacus, Bb7 and derekd like this.