Chorus: Callisto? StoneFish? WaterFall?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by paulikus, Mar 23, 2015.

1. paulikus

paulikus Member

I'm looking for a new Chorus... looking for small (mxr size), true bypass, analog, no tone suck, not metallic/thin and prefer a Mix control.

Would like something that can do mild but also can go to the wild side - and faux Leslie would be cool.

recently been seeing the Callisto (has mix knob); the StoneFish and the WaterFall. The latter two don't have the mix knob but they sound pretty cool in the YouTube vid's I've seen.

Haven't tried any of these live.

looking for folks who own one of these/have owned one of these to chime in.

thanks in advance!

ocripes likes this.
  2. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

I had the waterfall during a couple of months. It's a nice ce-2 based chorus. The switches intensity switch is useful if you want to go from watery to metallic. It was nice with dirt. I had a slight volume boost in the effect loop but nothing too crazy. Great chorus pedal but a bit pricey.

3. paulikus

paulikus Member

you only had it a couple months.... did you replace it with something else?

4. NoStairwayDenied

NoStairwayDenied Member

I have 2 chorus pedals on my board, the Stonefish and a Boss CH-1. The stonefish is very warm and gooey and I get a slight saturation when I run a hot signal through it, also does vibrato well.

5. paulikus

paulikus Member

do you miss the mix control on the StoneFish? can the StoneFish do subtle as well as gooey?

6. paulikus

paulikus Member

actually the StoneFish does have a Tone control. does that have a way of making it more subtle? any tone suck with this baby in bypass?

7. jaxapi

jaxapi Member

:agree

absolutely, this thing is pricey and has a real volume boost, two reasons for sell it ... now i have the EWS arion, différent animal, a slight noisy but no volume boost ... and i 'm waiting for the minimoog chorus demo (never had callisto or the other ! )

8. Imola82

Imola82 Member

I owned my Callisto for less than a week. By far the shortest length of time I've ever owned a pedal. That doesn't mean it won't be excellent for any or everyone else. Catalinbread is an excellent company. I'm not commenting here to turn you or anyone else off of the Callisto. Just sharing my very short lived time with that specific pedal.

9. Unadan

Unadan Member

Of course begging the question concerning why you didn't like it. Can you please share?

10. IRG

IRG Member

I like the Callisto a lot. I reviewed it a while ago for the Tone Report, and ended up buying for my own board. I run it before dirt, sort of a vibrato setting sometime. Othertimes I set it more subtle, just enough to give my dirt pedals a more complex tone. It can sort of do a leslie/vibe thing, but not as good as a dedicated pedal.

It is a very natural sounding, warm organic chorus/vibrato. Not metallic at all. The Mix control is very useful too. No problems recommending it at all.

11. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I had stonefish and Callisto. Stonefish was better. For a great analog small chorus, w mix knob, check out VFE choral reef.

12. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Analogman Mini Chorus w/ mix knob? Why isn't that on the list?

13. Imola82

Imola82 Member

I sent you a pm.

14. paulikus

paulikus Member

I have the vfe choral reef and I'm selling it because I find it thins out my sound way too much.

i think i do need to try the analogman mini chorus with mix control. Seeing lots of rave reviews here. Has anybody got the toggle switch on it too? Is that a big value add?

15. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Providence Anadime Chorus fits your description pretty perfectly. The just-released new version has a mix knob as well.

I've got an older one without the mix knob, and it's one of the two best choruses I've tried (my other fave being the Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus). It's a CE-2 clone, so it'll give you that '80s chorus sound. It's great even without the mix knob. I can only imagine the new version is even better and more versatile.

16. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

To me analogman is pretty good but had a slight bump in volume. I think the toggle is a value add bc it helps get a little more lush. If u get analogman, might as well max it out or find it used that way. Will say though to my ear, it had a metallic sound (flangeresque). Best chorus period is cosmichorus, but that doesnt fit your descriptions, though. Surprised to hear vfe thinned out tone for you.

17. lhama

lhama Member

18. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Providence Anadime
    Valbruch Chorus

19. paulikus

paulikus Member

The new Anadime even has a deep switch...hmm. whats the purpose of that funny clip under the on/off button?