• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Chorus choices

Hugh Manitee

My chorus choices:

TC Electronic SCF
JAM Waterfall
Free The Tone Tri Avatar

I have all three on my boards and absolutely love each and everyone of them. Three totally different choruses and they are just so good.
How do you power your SCF, and is it a vintage unit or a newer reissue?

There seemed to be a reissue a few years ago, but nobody seems to stock them.

vaughtex

Oh man... I’ve been through a lot of Chorus pedals.

Currently I have a FTT tri-avatar. It’s great but maybe costs a lot for one effect. Also what really annoys me, is that since I’ve started a stereo board, it isn’t stereo in. Which means where I’d like it in the chain, I can’t put it. My fault of course, but for the price - stereo in would be preferable.

My next choice would be a Strymon Ola. It’s stereo in and out and does sound brilliant the multi mode sounds fantastic.

Third, more subtle would be the boss dimension Waza. Sounds great. Really thickens a lead tone but not that customisable.

fourth... Neunaber inspire. Sounded great but the modes you can select sounded more or less identical. Good sound though.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
How do you power your SCF, and is it a vintage unit or a newer reissue?

There seemed to be a reissue a few years ago, but nobody seems to stock them.
I've converted all of my SCFs (3) to DC power. They can be powered from 18-33V and I usually owed them at 24V. I have a couple SCFs that I bought mew in '78 and '81. And I also have an SCF dated 2012.

sunburster

I love my Strymon Ola. I get a lot of use out of the Multi mode, but I also really like the Chorus and Vibrato modes at slower settings for some texture. Ramp and envelope modes are great too. Sounds wonderful in stereo. I've been through a lot of chorus pedals but this is the one that has stayed.

Cerpin Taxt

My mono chorus is a CE-2 clone I built myself.
Next I have an Ibanez CS9 from the 80s that has some magic to it, and it's stereo.

My latest and most favorite chorus tho is Mr. Black's Stereo Vintage Ensemble.

SonicTonic Seeker

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think anyone's mentioned the Diamond Halo Chorus. I like it, and it seems to have more headroom than most pedals (runs @24v). Seems to basically be a Phase Shifter or Chorus or both.

Last edited:

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Youre talking mack daddy rack chorus. For those rackish tones... RT Electronics threeway or tri avatar by free the tone. For pedals I use Dr Scientist Cosmichorus v3 for my pedal. Thats got a ton of control and sound for analog amazing

AnalogKid85

ADA STD-1
The ADA STD-1 is brilliant. Just look up my past posts about it, I've written a ton about this unit and I think it does some things even better than the 1210 (flanging, for one)....and it's by far the most versatile analog rack chorus unit ever made! (I mean really, name one other analog unit that can do chorus, flanging, ADT-chorus, non-modulated doubling & wet/dry splits, all with true stereo imaging & up to 6 taps? go ahead, I'll wait....and no "cheating" with copycat units! ;) ).

Also, prices are not out of control...yet!

Hapax Legonemon

Silver Supporting Member
... Also what really annoys me, is that since I’ve started a stereo board, it isn’t stereo in. Which means where I’d like it in the chain, I can’t put it. My fault of course, but for the price - stereo in would be preferable.
This was my feeling, too. I love the Tri-Avatar, and it's my fault for not checking more carefully before ordering, but if I want stereo Chorus it has to be the last in my "mono line," first in the "Stereo line" pedals.

Sadly, this effectively renders the pedal a lot less useful as an insert effect, but that wasn't its intended purpose.

vaughtex

This was my feeling, too. I love the Tri-Avatar, and it's my fault for not checking more carefully before ordering, but if I want stereo Chorus it has to be the last in my "mono line," first in the "Stereo line" pedals.

Sadly, this effectively renders the pedal a lot less useful as an insert effect, but that wasn't its intended purpose.
absolutely. I like some nodulation after my iridium (makes it sound more studio / rack like for recording). But I run stereo amps. So I have to put it before. It’s a damn shame, I kinda want to keep it, but if something else gets close - I’ll happily reconsider. I had the Strymon Ola and Neunaber Inspire. Both are so great, but I think the FTT beats them both by a hair. Maybe that’s enough to make me go back?

vaughtex

Just so you all know, Free the tone have announced they have discontinued the Tri-Avatar. I’d post a picture, but I can’t figure out how to do it. It’s on their Instagram page.

Trending Topics