Chorus Crowd!: Word On The Walrus Audio Julia?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yellowbaloon, Jul 7, 2016.

1. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

Is it a winner? The demos do sound great.

I am curious as to whether it can hang with the best? Is it worth adding to the collection amongst others?

I am one of the minority that loves absolutely loves chorus and have done much comparison amongst the following pedals, so if other chorus-lovers can compare the Julia to any of them, feedback would be much appreciated :)

EG - Analogman, CE-2, Cosmichorus, Tortuga Martini, Meistersinger, DOD FX65, Maxon CS-505/ CS550, Ibanez SC-10 etc...

Haunting Mids and Leetut like this.
  2. Haunting Mids

Haunting Mids Member

Hey, I can't compare the Julia to those you quoted.
    But I'll give you my opinion, though.

I've had one for a few weeks and I can already say Julia is a winner.
    It goes from very subtle to all-out warble and everything in between.
    The chorus mode handles distortion with great ability. The slight volume bump is appreciated here.
    The Lag knob is what sets it apart from many chorus pedals : it sets the center point of the delay line.
    It thus enables to focus on some chosen frequencies. You can have a stronger chorus on, say, the low frequencies and yet get dryer highs.
    Cool feature.

I particularly like this function in the vibrato mode.
    You can reach faux warped vinyl tones with a simple fiddling of both Lag and Depth knobs.
    I really love this analog chorus. Julia is one of my stand-out stompboxes.
    The thickest settings are my favorites in either Vibrato and Chorus mode.
    Graphically, it's a piece of art. Sonically, it's a total bliss. I surely prefer it to my former JamPedals Waterfall.
    It's more modern, though.
    If you like to collect chorus pedals, you owe to yourself to own this one.
    I even like it with fuzz.
    There is not a single sound that I don't like out of it.
    Julia is both an easily manageable and a complex pedal.

willem and yellowbaloon like this.
  3. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I haven't even watched a demo of the Julia.

However, from a chorus-lover to another, I'll chime in - since considering that you intention is to increase your collection - mentioning some other chorus pedals that you might like to know about (in case you're not yet):

- CmatMods WaterBox
    - Moog MF Chorus
    - JAM Waterfall
    - Green House Stonefish
    - and the Retro-Sonic, of course :p

dpgreek, Flatscan and yellowbaloon like this.
  4. leighianson

leighianson Member

I'm in the market for a chorus and and soon as they hit Aussie shores I'll be grabbing a CE-2w, boss is smashing it lately.

5. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

Great responses thanks! :)

So how is the overall voicing of the pedal? It seems quite neutral eq-wise when engaged vs the bypassed tone, is that the case in person? Too many choruses have a drastic eq change which I prefer to avoid. A 'little' mid-bump never hurts to make chorus pop in my experience.

6. Haunting Mids

Haunting Mids Member

Just a volume bump.
    To my ears, it's pretty neutral, EQ-wise, and the chorus mode hardly detunes.

yellowbaloon likes this.
  7. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

Yeah it does look really promising! Sometimes I think maybe I should try an original CE-2 again, but I remember finding the mid-boost too drastic for myself. The Meistersinger is very similar in some ways, definately the Boss style sound but more transparent; probably my favourite so far. Hopefully the CE-1 Mode on the Waza version is nice also, maybe it will be more neutral than the CE-2 mode?

8. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

SOOOOOO close to ordering! :)

9. Haunting Mids

Haunting Mids Member

Do it ! :p
    I'm not a great chorus fan but this one is what a good chorus should sound like.
    Walrus Audio makes awesome stuff. You can't go wrong if you're a chorus man.
    I've had the Waterfall. Great pedal as well, but the volume drop on the vibrato mode had me sell it quick.

yellowbaloon likes this.
  10. natethegreat12

natethegreat12 Member

Mad Professor Electric Blue Chorus!!!

11. ogguitar

ogguitar Member

A friend uses and loves one. I've played one in store and it definitely sounds fantastic. Easy to dial in too. I'm still too in love with my v1 Sea Machine though

12. jm9239

jm9239 Member

I enjoy chorus too but have whittled things down to the following two pedals:

Boss CE-2
    Analogman Bi-Chorus (small clone)

Those, along with the CE-1, are the quintessential and best sounding choruses.

yellowbaloon likes this.
  13. aman74

aman74 Member

Any switch noise on the Julia for folks that have them? I keep seeing reports of that with it and their other pedals.

14. 909one

909one Member

I'll chime in. I'm not a chorus pedal guy, and this pedal sounds amazing. I don't really like the sound of those 80's style choruses that have an almost metalllic or out of phase sound, and at almost every setting you can't get that sound with this pedal. That's a great thing for me. I would characterize this pedal as warm and buttery sounding, it does not add any hi end to your signal. I use it mostly for a Leslie/ Vibratone effect, and you can great Vibratone style sounds with it. When you set for vibrato, you get that really White Album style vibrato... think While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I gets really subtle too. You can make it soound very watery but not metallic, like I mentioned above. All in all this is one of my favorite pedal purchases in recent history. I highly recommend it. Its voiced very nicely.

15. Moontrills

Moontrills Member

Walrus Audio Julia: The Official Chorus of the Not-A-Chorus-Guy Since 2016

But seriously, it's a damn good sounding pedal. :aok
    I would've kept it if it didn't make that awful popping sound every time I turned it on.

16. 909one

909one Member

Popping sound?
    Never noticed that. Did it make it through the amp, or just the noise the actual button that bothered you?
    I don't give a **** how loud the button is as long as its not going through the signal path.

17. aman74

aman74 Member

I don't have one, just saw a lot of reports of it. And yes, through the amp noise. It sounds excellent in demos so am interested.

18. Moontrills

Moontrills Member

Yeah the pop was audible through the amp and would be exaggerated by the delays I had after it in the chain.
    I don't think every until had that issue though, but I was unfortunate enough to get one that did.:bitch

19. jm9239

jm9239 Member

Sounds like it's doing the same popping thing the Bellwether did. No thanks.

20. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

1 meg pulldown resistor, pop stopper