Chorus Crowd!: Word On The Walrus Audio Julia?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yellowbaloon, Jul 7, 2016.

1. aman74

aman74 Member

Yeah, but most of us don't want to mod a new pedal and I'm wondering why some are doing this and some aren't. Could be different rigs or perhaps some pedals were updated or something else.

2. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

Thanks for all the replies! I have placed an Order for the Julia and will report back my findings when i get to plug her in! :)

3. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

Yep, as far as the top-tier goes I agree with this, It seems the peak was hit 30+ years ago! I have however, found the Meistersinger to be in the same league. As complex a sweep and tone as those. The Martini is great also; unique and lush but has a tendency to 'blanket' the tone a little, this should be viewed as thick and warm by someone else though. The Cosmichorus and DODFX65 are fantastic!

4. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

bumping this for more info.

I'm GASing for a good analog chorus/vibrato sound- i REALLY love the chorus side of the V3 H2O pedal, but i don't have the space for it and i rarely use the delay side. Wondering if anyone has tried the H2O and the Julia and can compare the 2? Features/controls aren't as important as overall sound.

5. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Bump with the same question above...

6. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

I don't have a direct comparison of the Julia and H20, but a friend has the Visual Sound that I may be able to borrow to help contrast them for you. From memory the H20 is extremely rich and thick.

Realised I never followed up this thread but the Julia has been become my personal favourite chorus...ever! :)

NHBluesMan likes this.
  7. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

If I didn't already have, and wasn't really happy with, my QTM I'd most likely get a Julia.

8. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Would love any input. I'm thinking I'll go Julia regardless, but would love to hear comparisons

9. Revelation

Revelation Member

How does it compare to the Seymour Duncan Catalina chorus which has a tone control and expression mode?

The examples of the Julia sound amazing but I hate the ugly face they put on the hood! What is up with that?
    It is desgined to attract much younger guitar players?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    guitarslinger21 likes this.
  10. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I want to try the Julia, but I can't get past the graphic.

I have more choruses than I can use at the moment. Just got the martini. Sounds great.

11. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

It's funny; I love the haunting, weird image. I have traced it back to Julia from The Creature from the black Lagoon!

The Martini is another amazing chorus indeed; it's slightly warmer in voicing compared to the Julia, a softer tone.

ryuk likes this.
  12. yourfriendlyneighborhood

yourfriendlyneighborhood Member

Since you mentioned it in the original list--I'm curious to know how the Julia compares to the DOD FX65/ Ibanez SC10? I have a DOD and love it, but am not super fond of the slight loss in the low end. I've been looking at getting an SC10 to replace it...is the Julia a better option?

13. mannyprieto

mannyprieto Member

Moog Minifooger MF Chorus. Moog Minifooger MF Chorus. Moog Minifooger MF Chorus. Moog Minifooger MF Chorus. Moog Minifooger MF Chorus. Moog Minifooger MF Chorus. Moog Minifooger MF Chorus.

seriously.

Flatscan likes this.
  14. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

That's a tricky one, i feel all choruses 'shift' the bottom-end especially somehow. Many push the mids a little and drop some lows to make the chorus sound focussed in a band setting/recording: I used to dislike this, I now believe a little boost forward sounds perfect for Chorus.
    The FX-65 (depending on which version) retains most of the lows really well actually, probably flatter than the Julia by a bit. The DOD is a great chorus pedal; as good as anything IMO. The Julia also has more mids/thickness buy that gives it a colour I love!
    Now the Julia, I feel has a 'shift' but all the original tone of the guitar comes through but maybe a little mid-push and tightens up the base, but it just has this special something I have never heard in a chorus until now. The tone remains punchy unlike the softening effects some pedals have. As i said, perfect of me.

The Ibanez SC-10 sounds great but definitely pushes the higher frequencies and that leads to a 'cold' tone to my ears when comparing to the listed choruses. It is very punchy and retails the bottom well. A great chorus for the price, but I think there are better options if you are looking for a fairly transparent eq.

The most transparent chorus I have ever heard is the Dr.Scientist Cosmichorus V3 by far! An amazing pedal but perhaps a little too transparent for me, if you want your bass intact, this is the one. It doesn't add or subtract any frequency. Full range as it gets.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Haunting Mids likes this.
  15. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Im a chorus maniac too. Cmatmods is great. I finally settled on a custom dual. MXR 234 analog chorus is cheap and awesome too. Never had Julia but heard demos. Also curious about SD Catalina.

yellowbaloon likes this.
  16. lafours

lafours Member

Just got this pedal a few days ago, easily the best I have owned. I get no pop at all and there is no noticeable volume boost or cut, it sits on your base tone in such a clear way but never sounds too hifi or modern. It sounds good all over the dials and never sounds too "studio 80's"

17. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

How does the Julia compare to the Boss VB-2 original or Waza?

18. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Not really a chorus guy but I have one on my board. I love it so far. Here's a demo of the Julia I made with a buddy of mine:

tinkercity likes this.
  19. Mick_Braun

Mick_Braun Silver Supporting Member

GAS'ing for the Julia. I did pick up a Providence Anadime not too long ago, which is pretty killer. But I still want the Julia. Cause I need two chorus pedals. (No wait, I really do.)

20. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I'd say it compares favorably. I'm a VB-2 nut and I actually have both a VB-2 and a Julia on my board right now. Personally, the only pedal I've played that is spot-on for the Vb-2 thing is the Waza version, but the Julia gets pretty darn close in the tone and feel. I can't explain exactly what it is about the VB-2 that's so unique (it's more of a feel thing, maybe) but the Julia can get close. Plus it's true bypass and gives you all the chorus options in addition to vibrato. For times when I can only have one modulation pedal on my board, it's the Julia.