Chorus/Flange: Analog vs. Digital

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jcshirke, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Just curious how many of you have a strong preference for analog pedals (as opposed to digital) for chorus and flange effects. Has anyone done some serious A/B comparisons between some of your favorite chorus/flange pedals and high-end digital processors like the G-Force or Eclipse? Or do you think the high-end digital gear matches up well with the analog pedals?

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide if I'd prefer the convenience of using high-end rack gear for those sounds, or whether there would be too much of a sonic trade off in the end to go digital.

Note: I'm only talking about comparing high-end gear here. Boutique pedals vs. TC/Eventide type gear.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

2. riker4208

riker4208 Member

I haven't tried the G-force, but the Eclipse is really surprising me. I borrowed a friends because I've gone effects crazy recently. I have tons of vintage and current production pedals and the eclipse hangs nicely. The beauty is that many of the presets in the eclipse combine effects in ways I've never heard....it's really an amazing box. I'm just wondering if the new eventide pedals will compare favorably with the eclipse.

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

The short delay times in chorus and flanger make them ideal to match w/ analog circuitry. I have always preferred analog for ch/fl. It's a "no-brainer."
    If you think digital is more "convinient" than your set-up is more complicated than mine.

4. jcshirke

A lot of people seem to think digital is more convenient because you can store presets instead of having to bend over and tweak all of your analog pedals. That was my point.

5. mrmega

mrmega Member

Analog > Digital when it comes to Chorus IMO.

6. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

I'd have to say both. They can really be complimentary. I love my Analogman Mini Chorus, but i love Eventide's H3000 modulation. Both are warm, even the digital Eventide stuff is warm (for digital) but that's the result of great converters in that series too.

7. jcshirke

That's good to know. Thanks.

I just got a used Eclipse from a friend. I have an Analogman chorus that I'm going to hang onto. I also have a Foxrox TZF Flanger, and I guess the real question I have right now is whether I should hang onto it or sell it. If the Eclipse can do real convincing analog-ish flanger sounds, then I probably don't *have* to keep the TZF. Then again, I'm a pack rat, and it's tough for me to sell anything--esp. since the TZF isn't being made right now.

It's a tough decision. I'll just have to do close A/B comparisons and see what I decide.

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

Depends on the make. I have the TRex Twister which is part analog and part digital and it is the warmest chours/flanger I have used. Sounds as good or better than the Fulltone Choralflange.