Chorus for cleans?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Jan 5, 2008.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

I'm looking to add a chorus pedal to the arsenal for a slightly different flavor of clean tones.

What would you guys recommend as a good overall chorus?

Bypass doesn't matter, as it will be running with a DMC Ground Control Audio Switcher.

Is something like the Boss Super Chorus, or chorus emsemble exceptable? Or are other pedals worlds above in chorus quality? I'm looking for bang for the buck here...the cheaper the better.

Thanks alot!

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I like my Boss Super Chorus (CH-1). It's pretty tasteful, not at all overwhelming and I often play my acoustic through it as well. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

It has the capability of the warbly (and to me, nasty sounding) chorus effects, but only at the very highest settings. For the most part, it's pretty subtle.

3. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

The old, analog Boss CH-1's are pretty awesome. I love having the EQ and effect level knobs. I haven't tried the newer digital ones, but I like my old one. See if you can find one. I think they're pretty cheap.

4. lenny

lenny Member

from what i read at other forums,Alot of folks are really impressed with the Arion stuff ,and its pretty cheap, hope it helps

5. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Find an old Boss CE-3.

6. gorebuc

gorebuc Member

for simplicity, try to find an old MXR Micro Chorus.

7. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

For super cheap, I got a Dano FAB chorus. $15 is cheap and it sounds decent. Since you'll be controlling it with a ground control the switch quality aint an issue.

For more bang for the buck, I would recomend the CF7 chorus factory by digitech.

I use the CF7 in the loop of my MKIV and it sounds great. Lots of options on it too.

SCott

8. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

9. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I just got a Carl Martin Classis Chorus and for $125 or so it's very good. I would say it's a mild chorus but does have the option of adding vibrato to the chorus. It's pretty clean sounding and works great! All analog and seems to be patterned after the old ce3.

10. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i use an arion chorus, really lush, full sound, it actually took the place of my tc electronics chorus, i have to use in true bypass looper though because when off it sucks tone big time, but you wouldnt have to worry bout that!

11. ptown65

ptown65 Member

SCH-1 has a great sound. I just picked up an Analogman Chorus and can say this is the best chorus I've ever owned. But, there not cheap. Had a Boss Super Chorus and it sound pretty good for the price.

12. claffman

claffman Member

Analogman Chorus with the Deep switch. LOVE that thing!
    Boss CE-2, discontinued but worth every penny.
    I just heard a few clips of the Ibanez Tri Chorus recently. I'm looking for one right now.
    BTW, I run a mono set up, so stereo means nothing to me.

13. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

14. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I had a TC Electronics SCF, which is a very nice chorus. I sold it (I didn't play that much with it, so I can give in-depth details) when I moved, and now I have the Analogman Chorus with deep toggle switch. The SCF was perhaps a bit more "conservative" sonically than the analogman, and I like the Analogman better. It's a keeper. None of these are cheap though, and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

15. jpagey

jpagey Member

Voodoo Lab AC is my first choice. 2nd would be the AM Clone Clone.

16. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I've got The BBE Mind Bender. It's a Way Huge Blue Hippo clone and it kills for clean playing. It has a very 3D quality that almost sounds like Your using a delay and it's very sweet sounding. Plus it's got Vibrato as well. And it's analog!

17. blood5150

blood5150 Member

The Carl Martin Chorus x II

18. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

The other guitarist in my band uses an EH Small Clone Chorus pedal very lightly and it's adds a wonderful smooth sound to his cleans. You need to use it correctly to get the full effect, not too much, but not too little, almost transparent in a way.

19. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Old used DOD FX65, analog and very lush- seriously!!

20. TimH

TimH Member

Find an SCH-Z used. Best bang for the buck you'll find.