Chorus/Leslie/Univibe finally my search is over...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dirtytony, Apr 7, 2008.

1. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

hi
    its by many years that I'm strugglin' to find a perfect (for me) Leslie/Univibe/Chorus pedal and in the end the original CE1 has always been the best but this pedals (I owned 3) had given me lots of trouble with trannies that die, effected signal dyin' abruptly etc. so I've tried lots of pedal in the last years and finally settled to the Retrosonic Chorus.. this thing is really fantastic: the same as the CE1 but without the problems.. I've enjoyed it for a lot of time until a couple of weeks ago I havent received in the mail my Option5 Destination Rotation Single... this pedal has ended my search, its absolutely the best, I must admit that Im no Univibe great fan.. that liquid sound is good for a couple of songs but having a chorus or a leslie that you can rely on for all the songs its the best for me and the DRS has ended my search.. Im no hype guy and if you've the opportunity try the DRS is truly the best it gives you perfect Leslie sounds with the good choral effect you need, initially I needed a faster Slow setting and a slower Fast setting but when I've discovered the 2 trimpots inside and biased both controls to my needs... bang! perfect sounds!! its not a real Leslie but after the real thing its the best for me Im totally delighted by this pedal, try it

2. gregory49

gregory49 Member

how does it do with leslie tones? I've never heard a chorus do a "good" univibe sound . They're completely difference. a chorus will give you a warble not a pulse. It will give you depth but no impact....

3. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

I must say that i like the CHORUS of the retro sonic but I disagree as far as the leslie simulation. The arion sch-1 sounds way better for that IMHO. I am glad you found YOUR tone.:D

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I actually had the SCH1 and the boss RT20 and didn't find either of them "good" . While the SCH1 retained my tone the best.. it sill made everything a little to shrill. Next stop keeley looper and a rotosphere.

Sorry to derail.

5. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

I think he's saying that the Destination Rotation Single (DRS) ended his search from Leslie tones... not the retrosonic.

6. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

Does it ramp up and down like a leslie?

7. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

well i have my arion sch-1 on my looper strip and it sound quite good thank you!

8. wahwah

wahwah Member

Well I have to agree on the Retro-Sonic Chorus, it's simply the best CE-1 clone there is. I have an original CE-1 that is just too clunky to take to gigs, and I've been using a Dimension C instead for the past few years, but the Retro-Sonic kicked it off the board for chorus. I haven't tried the Option 5, but I have heard good things. I was lucky to find a Korg G4, which arrived last week and does a fantastic Leslie impression, complete with very accurate ramping at different rates for the horn and rotor. I believe the Option 5 is closer to the single rotor Leslies, but all that matters is that you've found something you like and it's working for you, congratulations!

My own search is about to be completed by a KR Megavibe. Between those three, the Retro-Sonic Chorus, Korg G4 and Megavibe, three of my favorite modulation types will be well and truly covered. Then the challenge will be to use them with discernment and taste, so as not to spend the entire set in those various depths of underwater warbliness!

Cheers................................wahwah

9. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

The DRS does, the RS chorus obviously doesn't. Like the topic starter said the DRS needs some tweaking, but once you've found your sweet spots on the trim pots inside it's pretty good. I still like my old Dynacord CLS222 better, but I can't be bothered with lugging a rack around anymore.

10. steinwand

steinwand Member

i also own a cls222, but it stays at home ...
    the drs is by far the best leslie pedal there is imho ...
    i really never liked choruses and vibes over the real thing
    but the drs finally ended my search ...
    the mic position could be a little more versatile, maybe they should have
    incorporated a simple mix knob instead

11. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

I know leslie speakers are too big to drag around but I got a Motion Sound SRV-212 last week, two 12 inch emminence screaming eagles; only $809 from Sweetwater and they split the shipping to Ak in my case.

I have an 05 TRRI custom 15, 85 watts. Disconnected the main 4 ohm 15 inch speaker and run 4 ohm pair of rotary speakers in place of 15. Man does she sound lush; better than any pedal I have heard. I haven't played TRRI much since I got the Cowtipper, even thought about dumping the fender amp, but not now. The Rotary speaker sounds better thru the junk TRRI than thru Bruno Cowtipper; probably the difference in wattage 85 vs 35. If you all ever see a Motion Sound, check her out.

12. killer blues

killer blues Member

I have a songworks rw-10 rotary wave speaker that nails the leslie thing economically. I tried and sold every pedal DRS, DLS, RT20, H&K, etc, etc, and nothing beats the sound of a mechanical unit. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have the convenience of a pedal instead of lugging another piece of gear, but there isn't a pedal made that can nail that sound.

13. steinwand

steinwand Member

agreed ... but the cls222 and the DRS are the next best things ... dont like the rotosphere (noise)