Chorus Opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Datsyuk, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive chorus pedal. The 3 current contenders are the Boss CE-20, Digitech Chorus Factory CF7, and the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus. Have any of you tried these pedals. Does anyone of them jump out as vastly superior from a tonal perspective? Am I missing any other obvious candidates? Thanks, B

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I like the EHX Small clone. Cheap as dirt, but it sounds great. Not a lot of tweakability, but a nice lush, wide, chorus sound.

3. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

define relatively inexpensive

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Get an old Boss CE-2 or CE-3 on Ebay for under $100.
    More expensive but possibly the best IMHO is the Analogman Mini or Bi Chorus.

5. b-strung

b-strung Member

Second on the CE-2.

Your examples make it seem like you are big on the tweakability though. I think a ehx polychorus would be better in terms of that 100ish used.

6. Road King

Road King Supporting Member

+1 on picking up a CE2 or CE3 on ebay. CE2's bring more of a premium but judging from what you are willing to spend retail, not out of your budget. I love CE2's but picked up a MIJ CE3 about 6 months ago on ebay. I picked it up as a quick fix with the idea to replace it later and I've tried to replace it but it keeps ending up back on my board. A very cool pedal that you can pick up for about 40-50 bucks. Tried the Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus and a Visual Sound and both are worthy, but for me just not as organic and vibey as the CE3. Just my .02.
    Brad

7. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

you've really got to try a bunch. they all sound slightly different--some radically different--and have varying degrees of tweakability. lots of love for the ce-2 above, but it's subtle and to my ears, sounds somewhat 'dated' if that makes sense. Here are a few favorites to consider:

Arion
    DLS
    Maxon CS9 pro
    MXR
    BBE Mind Bender
    Jaques Meister Singer

8. Metalhead Mike

Metalhead Mike Member

The absolute cheapest and best is the Arion SCH-1. There's a reason these are modded and then sold for about 200% more than what they originally cost - they sound pretty damn good.

9. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

'Nother CE-2 user here, best sounding chorus I've owned. The DOD FX65 is also very nice on the cheap.

10. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I love the CF7. It sounds pretty good and it has a few good models in it. I have been using mine for almost a year now with no complaints. It has a good buffer in it too. I don't notice any tone suck when it's in the loop of my MKIV

Scott

11. Monroe

Monroe Guest

Maxon CS-550 or CS-9

12. Flaser_Phanger

Flaser_Phanger Member

+1 for CE-2, I didn't like the CE-3 that much, it has a slightly metallic sound compared to CE-2.

Here's a comparison of all the different Chorus Ensembles, in case you're interested:

http://www.pedalarea.com/chorus_ensemble.htm

13. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

The very thing I didn't like about the CS-9 compared to the CE-2.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Visual Sound Liquid, to me, hands down, THE BEST. You can search my posts on the H2O (which has that chorus in it) for lots more reasons why, but it has the "Organic" thing going in spades, and that they give you the width knob means betwen it and depth you really can tailor a sound, to seasick if you want, but way more subtle also...it allows a lot more combinations. I tried many others and none of them gave me that "real" feel, they all always sounded too effecty.

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

The Digitech Multivoice chorus is less tweaky than the chorus factory, it sounds great and will run you $50 used.

16. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

You can buy my Chorus factory if you'd like ;-)
    I'm really liking the Liquid Chorus lately.

17. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

My chorus factory sounds pretty good in the loop of my Rivera. There is a slight volume increase when it's on but maybe that's just the depth of the chorus.

18. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I like the new EHX Stereo Mistress pedal. Very nice chorus sound and you get a flanger too. The flange takes a bit to get use too but overall a great price...

19. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I'm loving the Carl Martin Classic Chorus. There's a review in this month's Guitar Player.

20. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

Thanks so much for all of your ideas and input! Do any of you have experience with the Boss CE-20? :drink