Chorus or flanger?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Viking Wizard, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Viking Wizard

Viking Wizard Member

I was wondering if someone could tell me if it's chorus or flanger that Title Fight uses on a couple of tracks...

In this one I'm hearing phaser but again chrous or flanger on top? (the song starts 42 seconds in)

Maybe it's both effects...

I had a chorus pedal 10 years ago. I hardly used it and therefore sold it. Now I'm looking to create an effect somewhat similar to the ones in the videos...

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

I can't tell as much on the second track, but the first is definitely flanger (to me it sounds like a mistress). If that's the sound you're going for, I'd say look into a DEM (new XO is out) or if you really want to have some fun get an A/DA Flanger. Both can be dialed in for super watery chorus sounds but also can give you some of the swirly movement you hear in these tracks.

3. 9520575

9520575 Member

Yeah, flanger on the first one. Phaser on the second, with some chorus. And chorus on the third. Flangers can do a nice chorus, so i would get a flanger

4. Viking Wizard

Viking Wizard Member

Thanks guys!

I was actually thinking of buying a flanger so I can sort of do both.

Is it a stretch to say that flanger in some aspects is chorus and phaser combined?

5. cr0wnest

cr0wnest Member

Sounds like flanger to me.

Yes, you could say it has some aspects of both chorus and phaser combined. To me, flanger is a little dirtier sounding and has more "woosh" than chorus. I prefer flanger though, because the woosh effect gives the sound a more mysterious feel.

Here's another example of how flanger adds an almost mysterious effect to the guitar.

6. 9520575

9520575 Member

A chorus and a flanger are both delay pedals where the delay time is changed at an even rate using a LFO. The main difference between the two is the flanger has a shorter delay time and feedback. The short delay time causes a comb filter. The feedback emphasis the effect. Most flangers have a manual knob. That is the delay time, set it at its max setting and turn the regen (feedback) off. Now you have a chorus.

A phaser on the other hand flips the phase of your sound and combines it with the original signal causing a filter effect. How many bands are filtered depends on how many stages the phaser is. The filter sound is different then a flangers comb filter.

When you set a flanger and a phaser to be has close to eachother as possible (e.g. the rate the same and the center frequency is the same) they can sound similar. But they are still pretty easy to tell a part. So, in a way a flanger and phaser have some similarities (i.e. they are a filter effect). They both can do a nice vibrato effect (if the builder has added those controls).

7. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Sounds like a chorus all the way. I used to get this sound when I play a Mesa.

8. Viking Wizard

Viking Wizard Member

I have been offered an old MIJ Green Label Boss BF-2 Flanger for around $90. It's in pretty great condition.

Is that a fair price?

I should probably say that I live in Denmark where effect pedals usually are a little more expensive than in the US...

9. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Actually, a Flanger is a chorus with a shorter delay

10. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

90 seems a little high to me in US terms. Hard to say in your part of the world. BOSS flangers are plentiful on ebay

11. 9520575

9520575 Member

Sounds alright if pedals are usually more money. I'd pay 50 bucks in the US

12. Viking Wizard

Viking Wizard Member

I envy the market for used gear in the US. There is so much of it and the prices are great. Plus all the boutique pedals are in there. Here it's all the standard stuff - Boss, EHX etc.

Anyway...

I'm gonna try and get the BF-2 for a better price. Cause 90 is a little high.

13. Viking Wizard

Viking Wizard Member

I have just found a sort of cheap Boss HF-2 Hi Band Flanger in my city and I'm thinking of buying it.

Does any of you have some experience with that pedal?

Pros/cons...

14. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

An EHX Stereo Electric Mistress will get you close with its flange and chorus separate settings.

15. Viking Wizard

Viking Wizard Member

Thanks. I know but I just don't have the space on my board for that. A Boss pedal will just barely fit. But the options on the Mistress would be perfect for me...

I'm not crazy about EHX though. At least the newer pedals. My old USA made v.4 Small Stone is pretty good and doesn't **** up the sound. But some months ago I bought a Nano Clone and a Nano Holy Grail and there was a significant volume drop and loss of tone when they were engaged.

I don't know if that's the case with their other pedals but it made me not want to buy another EHX pedal...

16. williamisthisit

williamisthisit Member

17. Viking Wizard

Viking Wizard Member

They're one of my favorite bands. And "Head In The Ceiling Fan" is probably my favorite tracks by them. Their last record "Floral Green" is flawless in my book. And the new record is really awesome too..

Here's a video of the guitarist/vocalist Jamie about his gear:

Plus this link:
    http://wornoutyouth.tumblr.com/post/43872117304/just-cause-im-a-gear-nerd-and-i-love-title-fight

From live videos I have spottet the other guitarist to use a Fender Mustang (with a humbucker in the bridge), a Gibson Goldtop and Top Hat Amp top with Orange Cabs. Don't know about pedals besides a Boss TU-2 ;)