Chorus or Phaser first?

Drak

Interestingly enough, I just revamped my board to align itself more or less with Adam Granduciel's The War on Drugs board/sound on the Lost in the Dream disc.
He clearly has his phaser post-dirt, it's easy to hear the pronounced way it sounds post-dirt.

What I did was to 'box' my phaser in with my muff before it and my Crunchbox after it.
So muff>phaser is TWOD-ish, phaser>Crunch is VH-ish.

I hooked up my chorus to Ch.2 of my Swirlpool so Ch.1 is normal trem, and when I hit Ch.2 trem, the chorus comes on with it.
So I get chorused trem on demand.
Phaser really does work both ways, it just comes down to how you like the sound of the effect before or after, there's room for both.

boyatheart

I generally prefer both chorus and phaser before dirt. I generally use them without dirt anyway, but they're both placed in front for when they do end up on together in whatever combination/// and I place the phaser before the chorus generally too.

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Pha. Ser. Buy a phaser first. Run a phaser first. Choose a phaser over a chorus. Unless you're trapped in the 80s. Phaser all day.

71strat

For me.... Guitar, Peterson Strobostomp tuner with true Bypass, Goodrich L120 250k Volume Pedal, Kyle Chase EP3 Preamp, Moog MF103 Phaser, Mayer Voodoovibe+, Mayer Wah, EHX Blackfinger Tube Compressor, Mayer RM58 Compressor, Cornish OC1 Compressor , original 1989 Marshall The Guv'nor Drive, Mayer Voodoo Bass, Mayer Voodoo Boost, Voodoo Blues, Mayer Axis Fuzz, Analogman Very High Gain White Dot NKT275 Sunface,/Sundial, Analogman BC183 Sunface, 5 Knob Butler Tube Driver, Mayer, Mayer Octavia, Moog MF102 Ring Modulator, Mayer Concorde Treble Booster, MF101 Low Pass Filter, Empress ParaEQ with Boost, F Pedals EK Phase/Vibe, Minifooger Chorus, Minifooger Tremolo, Moog MF104M Delay, , Minifooger Delay, EP3 Preamp, Goodrich L120 250k Volume Pedal, Amp

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I like vibe (The Depths!) pre-dirt and phaser in both positions. I usually run chorus post-dirt but my setup lets me change pedal order very rapidly.

lifeinsong

I would run your Phaser before your OD's and Chorus after. There are really no steadfast rules...ultimately it comes down to what sounds best to you.

CEFlint

I run phaser before dirt and chorus in my loop, after delay. Rarely have both on the board at the same time. If I did:

Guitar>Wah>Phaser>OD>Distortion>AmpLoop>Reverb>Delay>Chorus/Rotary>Trem>Amp

neosoulchild

Interesting responses.. I use 2 phasers. Pigtronix EP2 before dirt, EHX Small Stone after.. chorus after both.
For what it's worth, I prefer the Small Stone after my dirt, regardless of having another phaser. I would think it has alot to do with the type of phaser you intend to use.

Please note that one of the most known chorus users, Alex Lifeson of Rush, back in the 70s was using a Boss CE-1 in front of the amp and had a great sound. No fx loops at that time, but that changed in the coming years!

Trick Fall

Pha. Ser. Buy a phaser first. Run a phaser first. Choose a phaser over a chorus. Unless you're trapped in the 80s. Phaser all day.

While chorus was definitely over used in the 80's it's been so long since it's really been prominent that I think it's time for a comeback. Anyway, I've been really enjoying chorus lately.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom