• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Chorus Pedal of STP Tones

SFW

I recently joined an STP tribute band. It's been pretty fun learning songs from my college days again. I can cover most of the base tones using my Spawn QuickRod and my Les Paul. What I am struggling with is the chorus sounds. Songs like Plush have a thick chorus to them. In fact, the entire Core album has a slight chorus effect on all of the songs. I know that Dean uses an Intellifex in his live rig and in the studio. I've also read that he uses an old Boss CE-1. So what chorus pedal can I use to get close to the tones that he gets? I currently have a TC Corona, but I really don't care for it. To my ears it just meh... I'd like to get that thick lush chorusing that doesn't overpower the core tone. I don't really want to drop the kinda money that original CE-1s are now commanding. SO what do y'all suggest? Thanks in advance.

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
Most of the chorus he used is from the Rocktron. He only used the CE-1 live for a fast leslie type sound during the Tiny Music era onward per an interview I read. The $39 Digitech Luxe is actually really good for this kind of sound. And that Neunaber above sounds amazing, never heard that one before.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I found that the Ibanez Mini Chorus did a great job for all those Core sounds. I put it in my fx loop just before delay and that’s the ticket.

Your QuickRod, Les Paul, a wah and that Ibanez Mini should get you just about every DeLeo sound.

monty

Yep, CE2W ftw. It may not get you there 100%, but very close and you don't have to drag a vintage CE1 around.

jcs

Most of the chorus he used is from the Rocktron. He only used the CE-1 live for a fast leslie type sound during the Tiny Music era onward per an interview I read. The $39 Digitech Luxe is actually really good for this kind of sound. And that Neunaber above sounds amazing, never heard that one before.
Which Rocktron?

OK now i must get the Digitech Luxe...i have a real Japan CE2 and the awesome DOD FX65.

3 Mile Stone

Gold Supporting Member
I think what is imporatnt to know is that the Rocktron Chorus (The Intellifex is a rack mount job) uses a multi chorus style effect. A "tri-chorus" if you will. This is several chorus in parrallel so that there is little rise and fall "swooshing" type sound. In that regard the suggestion for the Nuenaber is a good one. I'd recomend the Digitech Hardwire CH-7. It has a multi chorus effect that I think works well. I'm a huge STP fan. It's important that you use it with a level control so that you can mix the chorus sound in with the dry sound. It's even better if you can have one amp with chorus and one without. That will give you premium STP style sounds.

Comanche5

As mentioned, Rocktron Intellifex. The rack unit allows you to dial in the mix. Can’t recall, likely a stereo chorus? And I can’t recall if this was placed between the Demeter and VHT or in front.

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
As mentioned, Rocktron Intellifex. The rack unit allows you to dial in the mix. Can’t recall, likely a stereo chorus? And I can’t recall if this was placed between the Demeter and VHT or in front.
I believe it is between the preamp and the power amp. I recall reading that he used it on those early albums too.

Alexander Wavelength does a great job although I’m using it before the amp. It’s kind of like an electric mistress in flanger mode but even more full range and works really well without without dirt.

Last edited:

joealba

Mr Black Double Chorus. All day. I miss that pedal, and I’d get it back (despite having a Deco) if I joined an STP cover band.

Lovepedal Rotary Reverb covers the more swirly stuff.

jb4674

No pedal is going to get you that sound. Get the Intellifex and call it a day. For the price you'll pay for one, it'll do more than one chorus pedal will give you.

jcs

I think what is imporatnt to know is that the Rocktron Chorus (The Intellifex is a rack mount job) uses a multi chorus style effect. A "tri-chorus" if you will. This is several chorus in parrallel so that there is little rise and fall "swooshing" type sound. In that regard the suggestion for the Nuenaber is a good one. I'd recomend the Digitech Hardwire CH-7. It has a multi chorus effect that I think works well. I'm a huge STP fan. It's important that you use it with a level control so that you can mix the chorus sound in with the dry sound. It's even better if you can have one amp with chorus and one without. That will give you premium STP style sounds.
I think i have tried something similar before.

2 amps, one with a pair of chorus or a chorus & flanger or phaser and the other dry.

Then add delay!

Trending Topics