Chorus Pedal - Recommend a "Good" one.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, Nov 28, 2005.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I need a good Chorus pedal. What can you recommend? Thanks

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

1. Analogman Clone Chorus.

2. EH Small Clone (if youre on a budget)

3. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    The Fulltone ChoralFlange is my number one, though I liked the TC Electronic TCF a few years back, and still find uses for my Maxon CS-505 and el cheapo Arion SCF-1 (not the SCZ-1...too cheap, even for me, and that's saying something!);)

Slick51

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Analogman Clone Chorus

5. dave s

dave s Member

Retrosonic Chorus Ensemble. A little expensive, but possibly one of the most liquid, dripping wet chorus pedals out there today.

One side is straight chorus and the other side is tremolo that does a pretty convincing leslie sound with the right amp/guitar/pedal settings.

dave

6. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble. Widely considered the best CE-1 clone available (with a small footprint and true bypass unlike the CE-1). Replaced my Maxon CS-550 with it a year ago. A really beautiful, rich, smooth analog chorus.

7. AD

AD Supporting Member

TC Electronics TCF is my fave - paid $150 used - bang for the buck indeed.

8. mustangman

mustangman Member

+1 i have both and there great, analogman is of course better but the small clone is still a great buy.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just bought a Boss CE-20 and it's phenomenal. I got a near new one on eBay for $117. It has 6 different classic Boss chorus types to choose from...

Rich - Just like the name - thick & juicy
    Bass - voiced for bass or heavy crunch
    Acoustic - voiced for acoustic guitars
    Standard - nice generic chorus
    Dimension D - legendary studio chorus, with all presets (7).
    CE-1 - the classic that started it all, from the company that invented it - what more could you want?

Plus, it has 4 memory presets + Manual mode, fx Level, Overload LED, Hi/Lo EQ (cut/boost), Briliance knob & Ambience (reverb). The tones are exquisite. It is a double pedal, but it's more than worth it. It has a switch for accepting line level from an fx loop, or standard pedal/guitar input. Plus it's stereo In/Out. In stereo (which is how I use it), it is amazing.

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Learned about the DLS Chorus Vibe here at the GP and I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Nothing comes close IMO and I've owned many of the "best" ones. The CV does every flavor of chorus that I want, from Clone Chorus-rich to TC-glassy and everything inbetween. It can do the most subtle modulation that makes my tone 3D, and it's damn near impossible to turn off!!

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I like dirty chorus, so I use the Arion SCH-Z. Different than most good chorus though, but I've heard it (the SCH-1) on so many recordings that I guess it's what's familiar to my ear. Hard to beat the Lexicons and Rolands for really wet chorus. I thought some of those mentioned had a watery sound that I wasn't too hip on. For some reason, I love all chorus is some way! :p

12. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

13. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

IMHO the Fulltone Choralflange is the best.

# 2 would be the DLS
    # 3 would be the Analogman Clone

All others must bow before their superiors

Any of these would be a good choice - (insert cost as per your girlfriend/wife's bank accout when deciding).

For me, i bought a Fulltone CF - sold it - tried out a bunch of others - bought another one and applied velcro.

I will buy another AM Clone to compliment my CF (probably a mini) and Rock on. The DLS is great (I mean REALLY great) but it does not do what the Fulltone does as well as the Fulltone, nor does it do the AM as well as the Clone. It is somewhere in the middle. Great pedal, but when pushed, still digital. Cudos to Mike Fuller and Analog Mike - you guys both rock (I don't care what other MF's say about you!)

Sorry, I'm drunk (Colt's fan - there it is). Mike (Fuller) - I feel you man - you make great pedals (I mean really great!!). You have the gift, but please, lighten up a little. I appreciate what it is that you do - but not every guitar player is blessed with your talent - but they do provide you with income........

Whoa - I am more inebriated than I thought! YESS!!! The COLTS ROCK!!!!!!!!

Enough of that - if you have space for only one pedal, (and want the most versitilty) buy the DLS
    If you want the BEST (and are into tweaking) buy the CF.
    If you dig the vibe, buy the AM

Really, you can not go wrong with any of these 3. I have not had the pleasure of checking out the Retro-Sonic (but I never got into the BOSS chorus sound (my personal taste)). Chorus is very personal, and is more dependant on your style than any other effect (IMO). Check them all out, and decide for yourself (there really is no other way).

Time to get to bed before my wife enters REM, and I am forced to be a virgin for the night.

Good Luck - Guitarman 1956!!!

14. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

It doesn't get much discussion around here but I like the Carl Martin chorus.

It's 2 pedals in one. It's simple to use - rate and depth for each chrous. It is not an "over the top" chorus so I find that most of the settings are usable and it is the only chorus I've tried that sounds great after a distortion pedal.

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Analog Man Bi-Chorus.

I have owned the Choralflange, Maxon, Boss (CE-2, CE-3), Digitech X, Line 6 MM. Nothing but the Fulltone is even in the same league. The Keeley CE-2 is great, but still too noisy.

IMHO.