Chorus Pedal Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jbgoth, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Creepwood

Creepwood Member

I just got a used FTT Tri-Avatar and it‘s truly glorious.

Veritas0Aequitas, Harsh59 and Jbgoth like this.
  2. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

If you're not opposed to a mini pedal, the Mooer Ensemble King does a pretty good CE-2 sound. It's got the proper BBD MN3007 chip in it (if you care). Plus, it has a level control which the original does not.

OR, you can get an analog CE-5 (the CE-5s made in the early to late 90s were analog, now their digital) on the cheaps. See my thread entitled, "A Tale of Two Choruses" where I shootout the (analog) CE-5 and the CE-2W (which was newly acquired at that time). I could get the CE-5 extremely close to the CE-2W in the CE-2 mode...so much, that I would never recommend anyone get rid of the CE-5 to get a CE-2W if you're strictly looking for CE-2 sounds.

There is NO volume drop with the CE-2W. As @CarlGuitarist said, there's a mid-push so it actually sounds like your volume is getting boosted with the CE-2W.

Jbgoth and stahlhart like this.
  3. Lamby

Lamby Member

4. endoscopereviews

endoscopereviews Member

the julia will sound excellent running into your strymon timeline and strymon big sky. use an eventide H9 to really get the best of it and hit your timmy/tumnus for some thrills.

ChampReverb and Jbgoth like this.
  5. adi

adi Member

danelectro fab chorus

Jbgoth likes this.
  6. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

7. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

CE-2w <-- this is probably the quickest and best path to getting the 80's Chorus sound (especially with the CE-1 mode as well). I tested out a lot of pedals always chasing "that sound" and now the search has ended. Here is my review along with some links to reviews of some other pedals: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...sic-chorus-with-the-waza-craft-touch.1840913/

BTW ... if you have an Eventide H9, I was able to get it to sound uber close to the CE-2w using the Delay Algorithms as the foundation (also shared in that link above).

ALSO ... Important to note, the Electric Mistress Flanger was also used a lot for that 80's sound by the police and others so you may want to check out the Moore E-Lady. I have this on my board as well.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Jbgoth likes this.
  8. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

Don't discount the Moog Minifooger Chorus. You can get a variety of excellent chorus and flanger tones out of it. Also, the Maxon CS-550 is excellent, though quite a large footprint.

Beto, grizz and Jbgoth like this.
  9. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

Empress red witch

Jbgoth likes this.
  10. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I've got one! Jacques Meistersinger.

Jbgoth likes this.
  11. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

CE2W...sounds great, plenty of variety with the 3 toggle settings, no volume drop, easy to get, not going to break

Jbgoth likes this.
  12. songtalk

songtalk Member

I'd say get the CE-2, CH-1, analog CE-5 or the CE-2w.

Also don't discount the BF-2 and HF-2, which at 0 resonance are very 80s liquid chorusy.

The Mooer Elec-lady is also great for 80s chorus/flange tones.

Jbgoth, AxeVictim52 and Mr_Derp like this.
  13. Patrick B

Patrick B Member

MXR M234 analog chorus is what I recommend. It has the ultimate 80s sound, and is extremely versatile.

Jbgoth likes this.
  14. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Robert Smith actually used a Line 6 MM4 Modulation modeller in the 90s so that would do it, or any of the Line 6 derivatives - M3, M5, M9, HX Effects.

I think the Source Audio modulators could easily hit the mark, and you wouldn’t go wrong with the CE-2 waza either.

Jbgoth likes this.
  15. Blueser

Blueser Member

I've had a few different boutique chorus pedals that were great, but now I have a Boss CE-2W and I'm totally happy with it. Have not looked any further

Jbgoth likes this.
  16. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Many good options mentioned here.

One that's underrated and doesn't get much talk is the Moog MF Chorus. A very versatile pedal that can go from subtle to wildly crazy and can be find new for a very good price within the usual online sales along the year.

Jbgoth likes this.
  17. scolfax

scolfax Member

"A lot of the things on our record that sound like heavy chorusing are actually just detuned instruments." - Robert Smith

Check out the DigiTech Luxe:

[​IMG]

Jbgoth likes this.
  18. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I agree and happen to have one in the Emporium:
    http://bit.ly/2GGoCZN

Here's a link to more info. They've redesigned the packaging compared to mine but it's the same pedal.
    http://bit.ly/2G4jtMV

19. musicallyinclined81

musicallyinclined81 Member

That Julia on Reverb has been sitting there for a while now.. a little overboard if you ask me..

Congrats on the Julia! I have one and wouldn't trade it up for anything.. I also own a Strymon Ola Chorus/Vibrato.. Sounds lucious.. If you could try one, you should! Here's my lovely lady in a pedal..:D

[​IMG]

Jbgoth likes this.
  20. andrekp

andrekp Member

Donner Tutti (or whatever the Moore one is called, did you want to pay more). It's a CE-2 clone and costs very little. And if you don't like it, for some odd reason, you could sell it to a friend for $20 and only be out a little.

Jbgoth likes this.