Chorus Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by staybobo, Apr 15, 2016.

1. staybobo

staybobo Member

Which of these chorus pedal should I get and Why?

1. Seymour Duncan Catalina
    2. Aguilar Chorusaurus
    3. MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe
    4. Moog MiniFooger Chorus
    5. TC Electronic SCF
    6. Maxon CS-550

2. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

You should get an old Boss CE-2. It really is the best sounding chorus pedal.

3. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Hard to tell you why you should get any pedal.... it's really up to what you want out of it and the use. Are you looking for cleaner, more transparent chorus? Vintage sounding? Warbly / detuned? etc...

Out of your list, I have experience with TC which is beautiful pedal. The chorus can get vintage or light. More for transparent chorus and doubling, but can get warbly too. If the MXR is anything like the MXR Analog regular chorus, it should be great. Hear nothing but good about Moog as well. No familiarity with Seymour or Aguilar. On first look, Seymour looks pretty versatile. Good luck.

4. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Why the bass chorus and not the regular one?

5. 71strat

71strat Member

For me, I like the MOOG. I like everything MOOG. Warm and very natural sounding.

Black_Label and Flatscan like this.
  6. staybobo

staybobo Member

Looking for a more obvious Chorus that can be subtle and intense.

7. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Not on your list, but an Analogman chorus with Mix knob is beautiful and lush and go from subtle to intense

TheRealDeal likes this.
  8. rck

rck Supporting Member

I haven't tried any of those, but being a Chorus freak, I would put the SD Catalina and Moog Minifooger at the top of my list.

Both pedals are part of a new series from each builder and get high praises for the series in general.

I've had the MF Flange and it was good and the Chorus does get really, really high praises.

The Catalina has a unique feature set and I've had 2 of their pedals from the new series (and tried them all) and liked them very much.

Flatscan likes this.
  9. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

It's my favorite. It's why I got a Mooer Ensemble King. Next closest thing but smaller and with a level control.
    Versatility wise, it's hard not to like the MXR analog chorus

10. colbys1019

colbys1019 Member

None of them. I would try one of the following:

E.W.S. Arion SCH-Z Chorus/Vibe
    Walrus Audio Julia
    Way Huge Blue Hippo Chorus
    Maxon Ambient Stereo Chorus (ASC-10)
    JHS Emperor
    Strymon Ola Chorus/Vibrato
    Analogman Mini Chorus
    Empress Nebulus (more than just a chorus)

These are hard to beat. If I had to get one off your list, it would be the MOOG or MAXON. The Moog is a little warmer sounding than the Maxon to my ears.

11. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

The CS-550 that you mention is one of the best overlooked pedals. Its just doesn't like very hot/active pickups.

12. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

I'm partial to the electric mistress set for chorus myself but sticking to the list, the Maxon and the moog are my favorites. Warm and lush, very pleasing to my ears

JosephCurwen likes this.
  13. Mincer

Mincer Member

On the Catalina, you can vary the amount of chorus by how hard you pick. It isn't a simple on/off switch, it gradually comes in (or goes away)...your choice.

14. Grasley

Grasley Member

I dont want to hijack this thread but alot of chorus' ive tried kills my tone. Ive tried the boss ce5 and the MXR stereo chorus.....volume drop even when it isnt engaged etc....id love to find a good chorus without paying $300+

dpgreek and shack like this.
  15. shack

shack Member

just got the moog and its pretty good in stereo nice 3d sound a little brighter than I expected will do some more jamming with it tomorrow, for a cheap good sounding true bypass chorus you cant beat the HW CR-7

Flatscan likes this.
  16. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Don't overlook the new Ibanez Chorus Mini. It's got the tone and mojo of my old narrow box Ibanez CS-505. I love that old bucket chorus sound - especially in front of dirt.

KnowTalent likes this.
  17. shack

shack Member

The moog is actually fantastic, very close to a ce-2 sound maybe even a CE-1

18. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

The key question here is for what. For what I do (you might call it alt-rock), I love the Moog and have tried many, many. It sounds very "original" to me but can "get in the neighborhood" of classic chorus tones if you need it to do so.

It is very musical throughout the palette of available tones and pairs very well with dirt. It goes extremely well with the MF-Flange also.

I'm interested in trying a Retro-Sonic sometime soon just to have the classic CE-1 experience. I may or may not keep it given that tone inspires both positive and negative emotions in me. We'll see.

19. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I love the idea of the Catalina (envelope chorus). The demos didn't impress me though.

20. Gar O'Brien

Gar O'Brien Member

j.s.tonehound likes this.