Chorus pedals: Retro-Sonic Chorus, Boss Waza Craft CE-2w, Providence Anadime or Analogman Bi-Chorus

johnh

I agree with some of the other posters who believe that the Boss and the Analogman are really two different animals. If it's the Small Clone sound you're looking for, then I think you will be disappointed with the Boss. It's much more subtle and transparent (imo) than the AM.

For me, the AM is the finest chorus I've ever heard - the louder you get, the more organic it sounds. It's such a wonderful , warm, Rich, all-enveloping sound at gig volumes. But in a totally different camp than the Boss sound to my ears.

lhama

Just to confuse matters more, but I'm having great fun with the Moog Clusterflux. Has anyone compared the mf chorus to these pedals?

cerebralpaul

Boss CE-2w. Hands down. Or just a vintage CE-2, those are anything but "thin" sounding and actually impart a boost. For a vintage one you want an isolated power supply and the ability to give it vintage boss power demands.

If its convenient, vintage 1st. CE-2w second.
Actually the ce-2 functions normally on a 9v daisy chain with other pedals, or with a 9v battery, it's only on an isolated power supply that it requires 12v(which it then internally drops to 9v...o_O)... weird but true.

Heresy! I refuse to believe it!!! Dammit, I don't want one of those things on my super fancy pedalboard. :)

But of course now I'm intrigued...anybody got links to sound samples of the Zoom doing the CE-1 thing? It's cheap and could be fun to play with.
I use chorus on my WDW rig. The Zoom and the CE-1 were surprisingly close. I added an EQ in line with the zoom chorus and tweaked but eventually just went back to the base Zoom model. Given all the draw backs of the Boss (size, power, input levels) it just wasn't worth keeping it given the expense. Man, the Boss sounds glorious and the zoom lacks the trem, but the Zoom is no slouch. It honestly worth buying the Zoom even if you only use the CE-1 sound.

One thing to remember though, don't get get caught up in all the hype. The original CE-1 is incredible but at the end of the day it's still "just a chorus pedal." There are tons of nice chorus pedals, and the CE-1 is its own thing, but remember "it's just a chorus pedal." Of course this could be said about everything discussed on this site. And probably should . . .

TG

jtkung

Please consider the Zoom MS-70CDR. The CE-1 emulation in there is as good as a CE-2w in CE-1 mode. I have both, and I can't tell the difference. And I am a chorus junkie, having owned at least a dozen different chorus pedals in the past (including the Boss Dimension series and an original old tc scf which I still have).

Digitalman

I haven't tried the new Waza pedal yet, but I've had the Retro Sonic on my board for about 10 years now and I don't think it'll ever go anywhere. It's just always been my chorus sound. A perfect CE-1 clone in a much more useable enclosure.

I thought mine was a bit dark sounding as well and Tim Larwell from Retro Sonic posted in a thread long ago about removing a cap that rolls of some high end. I clipped the cap and it helped bring the highs back.

Thread here - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...d-roll-off-with-the-retrosonic-chorus.421377/

jmccann040878

I've owned three CE-1's and two early Retro-Sonic's all at the same time. Both units sound amazing, Tim did his homework when he made his units, but side by side you can tell differences in the chorusing effect. Compared to the CE-1, the Retro sounds more "Rotary"

I currently own a Mooer King Ensemble Chorus pedal. Of all the pedals I've tried, it nails the CE-2 spot on. I was in the market to buy a CE-2W and when I played them side by side, I passed on the CE-2W. If you have not checked out the Mooer, do so.

Gswearengin

I currently own a Mooer King Ensemble Chorus pedal. Of all the pedals I've tried, it nails the CE-2 spot on. I was in the market to buy a CE-2W and when I played them side by side, I passed on the CE-2W. If you have not checked out the Mooer, do so.
+1 on the Ensemble King. I haven't compared it to a real CE-2, but they're super cheap and sound really nice.

Pro tip: try it at 12v! Mine sounds warmer and has a little more depth. I'm not responsible if you blow yours up, and I wouldn't go any higher than 12v (although my Hustle Drive works well at 18v), but I haven't had any issues with mine. I've got a bunch of them, and almost all of them sound better at 12v!

Gswearengin

Also, related to the thread in general, I highly recommend the big yellow 18v MXR Stereo Chorus reissue. Super deep and warm. I prefer it to the new Retro-Sonic I tried (with individual depth and rate knobs for the chorus) as well as the Red Witch Empress. In fact, I found the empress to be warmer than the RS.

I will be on the lookout for an older Retro-Sonic, maybe even one of the darker ones, but I'm sending this one back.

Last edited:

mcuguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Anadime for the win. I had never heard this pedal, until my friend Carl Verheyen used it on a song of mine we were recording. THE best chorus pedal I've ever heard. Distinct and clear chorus that can get very close to a leslie rotating speaker sound.

andrekp

The Small Clone should not be ignored. It's cheap and lush. If you can mod (or get one already modded) changing the depth switch for a pot makes it even better. The Boss is good, but it sounds much more refined and subtle than the EHX.