*** Chorus question... one similar to VS Liquid Chorus ***

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kensmith, Jan 14, 2008.

1. kensmith

kensmith Member

I am seeking a dedicated chorus pedal and I played one of the new Visual Sound Liquid Chorus (single pedal version of H2O) with 4 knobs. I loved the tone, and almost jumped on it for full price ($139+tax). Seems like alot for a "new" production pedal so I thought I would let my GAS simmer for a while and research.

For those who have played H2O or the new single pedal LiquidChorus......can you suggest other pedals with same controls with similar tone for less $$$. I would really prefer single pedal size (though the H2O units prices are getting attractive)....

Challenge on...name that chorus pedal !

2. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

hey kensmith,
    would you mind comparing that VS chorus to some other tried-and-true boxes? I've always thought that a delay time knob is the key to nailing the sound in my head, and the VS has one if I'm not mistaken.

interestingly, I emailed Analog Mike about the possibility of putting a delay time knob on a Clone Clone, and he said he's been considering it, but has too much on his plate at the moment. btw, the depth toggle switch adjusts delay time, but only to 3 fixed settings.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Believe me...I have been looking. I have bought Boss CH-1, Three hounds Chorus, Guyatone, RotoSim, and several others, and none give me the sound I love out of the H2O.

I had been waiting so impatiently for the single pedal version, and also thought it was ridiculous that it was so "high in price" compared to the H2O, but just as I was reading your post it struck me...

a hundred-thirty-nine dollars for a pedal like this is a FANTASTIC price.
    I was getting hung up because the H2O is a great buy and relatively inexpensive, but so what...we here routinely pay upwards of 200 dollars for a FUZZ for gods sake (with about 6 or 7 components) ...even 2-3 hundred for essentially an OD, and no one bats an eye.

Suddenly 139 bucks is "expensive" for a pedal like the chorus, that is lush, and very tweakable (unlike the three knob choruses) let you make it organ sounding, or slight...all points in between?

I had been looking for a replacement for the H2O because I was digging my Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay and wanted to use that instea of the echo on the H2O for a while (though the echo is very nice too)...but I tried for a year to find a comparable chorus, and I never did.

The THC chorus, on paper, seemed like the best bet, but it's 4th knob is NOT intiutive, or consistent as it depends on the other settings...where the "width" knob on the VS is very straightforward.

I talked myself into the single pedal anyway...soon as they make it to Norway.

4. kensmith

kensmith Member

popsong: not sure what you mean by comparing to old tried and true boxes, but the only dedicated chorus pedal I have owned is a Boss CH-5 which is tried and true...yes...but cannot hold a candle to the VS-LC. They have the same number of knobs (actually CH-5 even has the dual tone knob), but the VS-LC has so much versatility...can go from subtle to dreamy, shimmery to warbly, you get the idea. Yes the VS-LC has a delay knob. I am not sure which knob (either width or delay time) really had some wonderful range to tweak the tone from lush chorus to almost a more warbly univibe tone. I was playing a Strat through one of the little new Fender SuperChampXD amps (great tone) and was tonal heaven!

StompBoxBlues: Glad to hear that I am not alone in this chorus quest. You are right that I tend to "devalue" chorus a bit since there are SO many inexpensive options out there. At the $100 price point, I probably would have jumped on it. The big thing holding me back was knowing that the V1 H20 units are out there all over ebay/craigslist etc. for less than $100 and you get Echo as well.

I have not tried an older (white tip knob) H20 so I don't have that reference point. Is there anyone out there who has both a V1 H20 and the newer single pedal format Liquid Chorus and could compare the two? I know that the V2 has the additional delay time adjustment...but are there other differences.

My willpower is getting weaker.... am I really going to pay full price for this one?

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know what you mean, but for me...it is worthwhile having an H2O also, but in addition I decided I do want just the chorus.

The "echo" in the H2O is very nice, no doubt. I use delay sparingly so it is very nice for me, and also that it is easy to set, and predictable when you set it. I can set mine without having to hear it (maybe also because I've used it so long) between songs and know I will be very close if not dead on.

The stereo out is perfect, and I tested myself...most people complain about the size but it really, honestly IS smaller footprint than two-boss sized pedals (say a chorus and delay) when you take into account the patch cord between, AND it uses only one power plug for two pedals.

SO that is all well and good, and I won't be trading in my H2O anytime, but that said, I actually DO want to be able to use another delay, so for me...though I at first balked (just comparing..like you are, price difference between H2O and liquid chorus single pedal) when I realized how much I prize the LC, AND honestly...if someone came out with as good a pedal, single, and wanted 150 bucks or more, I would have paid it.

I'm quirky, but once I put that into perspective in my mind I realize I do want one single one too.

The H2O is great for one of my pedalboard, or just alone...grab n' go, where the LC I could see having on my main board...

One other thing, the chorus can sound damned good also before OD...whereas echo/delay only sounds right to me
    in the effects loop...when bundled into one box that means I have to have chorus in the effects loop too...but with
    a single pedal (I hope it has stereo out!) I could put it on input, or even before OD, or last in input but also run
    an out to another amp as well...more flexibility while still allowing me to put my delay in the amp effects loop.

6. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

sorry for the vagueness. I meant to ask how it compares to the chorus boxes everyone seems to be familiar with, like the CE2, Small Clone, TC, etc

7. Rick1114

Rick1114 Supporting Member

I had the LC for a few days and returned it. TBH - I kind of miss it! There were a few small things that bothered me though. First, there is a small treble boost when the chorus is engaged, as there is with the H20 from what I have read. I play a Fender amp and that kind of thing can be annoying if your just sitting in a room playing and your levels change when you engage the pedal, it's slight but still... Also, I noticed the pedal scuffed easily probably due to whole made in China thing. I had an OCD and that thing never scuffed. My 15 month old threw this pedal one time and the scuffed it - he gets pissed when I don't pay attention to him and starts tossing pedals around!

At that point I was worried if I kept it, what the resale would be since there were a few small niggles I had with it. The H20 sells for $189, and buyers will expect to pay much less for the chorus alone. So back it went....

So back to the original question....is there anything like this chorus? I found with the Liquid Chorus I didn't need all that versatility, but the basic sound of the chorus was cool for certain things. How much different is the small clone for basic chorus sounds?

8. kensmith

kensmith Member

I did notice one thing when I was demoing the VC-LC yesterday and that was that I noticed a small bass reduction (rather than treble boost) when pedal is engaged. The reason I say bass reduction is that it felt like some of the lows were removed (slight but noticable) but it was offset by the lush chorus environment that surrounded you. It did not seem like it added highs or treble to the sound...but it could just be semantics (ie. my bass reduction is treble boost). I read somewhere that the tone knob on my strat actually never adds any treble, it just starts at a clean unadultered signal and rolls off treble from there.

Great input, thanks Rick.

How "fragile" did you feel the new cast alum casing is? I think it looks neat and I like the raised back end that protects the knobs which the old one doesn't have. Not as "boutique" looking as old cases either.
    I am seriously considering picking up a v1 H20 since they are generally available for around $90 shipped (mint) on used market.
    Anyone have both v1 and v2 that can compare the chorus sound/tone? The echo would be a bonus since I am comparing V1-H20 to V2-LC ;-)

9. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

When I got my H20 Liquid Chorus-Echo back after the BBD upgrade, I fell in love with it even more. It's my 'go to" multi-pedal for jobbing. On bigger dates I se the DLS combo of RotoSim & EchoTap, and that's nice too. For other dates I'm using the Damage Conrol Glass Nexus & Eventide TimeFactor together and that's superb. Try the Glass Nexus on it's own and see if that fits your sound: another great multi-use pedal but it's $$.

10. Rick1114

The casing and knobs seemed to be up to up to snuff - no problems there. The paint job seemed to scuff very easily. When my toddler gets bored with my playing, he picks the pedals up and drops them behind the amp. I then have to pull them off the speaker magnet afterwards. The blue paint on the LC smeared off to reveal the silver underneath after one toss. My OCD went through a few dozen altercations and still looked mint.

The pedal will last, the paint won't though....

11. kensmith

kensmith Member

Rick...perhaps you can velcro the pedals to pedalboard to combat todder dropage :)

guitardr: good stuff there, I have heard good things about Glass too, just focusing on chorus right now though. I would love to try one though...perhaps it could displace 4 pedals from my board ....hmmm.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If it is a pedal I love (like the H2O) I don't mind at all if it gets scuffed up. In fact, it kinda endears it to me, makes it mine...those are MY scuffs on there :cool:

13. Rick1114

I just tried the Small Clone today - I think I'm sold on it. It's not as "detailed" as the LC, and certainly doesn't have the flexibility, but it was similar in character to the LC for your basic chorus sounds, which is all I need. It also liked that it did not seem as hi-fi as the LC, a small bit mellower I'd say, which might be more useful for me for different styles of playing. Too early to say for sure....

14. kensmith

kensmith Member

Rick1114-
    Glad you like the Small Clone, as it is certainly easier to find and cheaper than the LC. I played one at local amp shop (was used/mint for sale for $40), and I did not buy it. Though it was rich sounding, it did not have any controls and for me that was a deal killer. It seems to do that one sound well though! :) Enjoy...

15. kensmith

kensmith Member

I bought it today....I could have waited a bit for prices to come down, or compromise and get an older model H2O...but I really wanted single pedal format and the forth knob. Great control and great tone and my guy knocked off $10 to make it easier :)
    Can't wait to try her at home with my rig!

16. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but the new V2 H2O pedal is only $189 at most dealers. I got mine at GC two weeks ago and love it. Seems a shame to spend almost that much just for the chorus.

17. kensmith

kensmith Member

I know, but I have a small board that I use for church and wanted single pedal format......and like my DD-6 on there. The other thing is that I mostly like them in different places in my chain....so I prefer having Chorus and Delay in separate pedals. :)