Chorus smackdown - RetroSonic, Red Witch, Diamond...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nibus, Jul 7, 2008.

1. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Any opinions on these three chorus monsters?

Retro-Sonic Chorus
    Red Witch Empress Chorus
    Diamond Halo Chorus

2. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

Dls Chorus-Vib is the king of the choruses

3. mcaviel

mcaviel Member

My Diamond Halo took the place on the pedalboard instead of my TC Electronic.

4. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I just replaced my AM Clone Chorus with the Retro-Sonic Chorus. I wanted something lush and more like an CE-1, the Retro-Sonic just nails it.
    Check out the Chorus videos at Pro guitars.

5. Franktone

Franktone Member

All of the above are awesome chorus's. I really like the sound of my Retrosonic chorus I got from Scott at Axe and You Shall Receive. It has thick, swirling, 3d sound. On fast, it sounds a lot like a Leslie, quite good to me.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Yeah, the retro sonic is at the top of my list. I like the Halo, but it doesn't really nail the classic shimmery chorus like the retro sonic.

7. Ascension

Ascension Member

I just tried the Eden Analog SYNC3 a few minuits ago and that one flat blew me away!!
    I have known Chris for a while as a guitarist but I just found out about him owning Eden. This one is a really cool and versatile chorus and I am HARD to please on chorus effects!! Chris took me in back and showed me how these are built and I was quite impressed with the build quality and components + they are TRUE BYPASS!
    There are several boutique builders here in Birmingham and most are friends of mine but I normally don't push um however this stuff ROCKS!!
    Check it out here http://www.edenanalogeffects.com/Effects.html

8. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

Although I didn't get to play any of the above pedals in person, after listening to sounds clips of these three as well as the Analogman Chorus I went with the Analogman. I'm very happy with the Analogman and mention this only as suggestion for you to check out the Analogman as well as the others. If you were to get the Analogman you definitely, in my opinion, need to get the "depth" switch and perhaps the stereo option as well.

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've got the Analogman and the Retro Sonic. I can't part with either because they are pretty different. The RS is much thicker and lush and sounds amazing with a clean tone. The Analogman is on my board because it is a little more versatile and has more tones available. It also sounds better with overdrive with my rig.
    If you want something like the CE-1, the RS nails it like no other.

10. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

gotta add my fav chorus to the discussion here which really doesn't get much attention... the Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus. With all the hype the Dr. S Reverb box gets around here I'm surprised the chorus hasn't been hailed in the same light. Its an incredible pedal. Goes from extremely subtle and clean chorusing to full on dimension c territory. i like it better than every other chorus i've played and that includes the analogman and red witch (though not the RS)

ps i love AM and RW stuff I just like the Cosmichorus best. plus it looks freakin cool. only drawback--no stereo, if thats what you're looking for. id also add that the speed knob on it is very versatile and can add a nice leslie swirl to your sound at higher settings. beautiful pedal in every sense.

11. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

I think chorus is one effect you can get a feel for on youtube vids. I prefer the CE-1 above all so the retro would be my pick.

12. wahwah

wahwah Member

I've had a CE-1 for quite a few years, and that is the chorus sound I prefer, but the CE-1 is a bit too bulky to take out live, so I went with the Retro-Sonic. In my opinion, the CE-1 still has something extra special about it, but the Retro-Sonic is definitely close enough with both its chorus and vibrato sounds to get the job done. I made these two You Tube clips, the first showing just the Retro-Sonic, and the second showing the two in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-n-rm0S_80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeKon5JC13g

Cheers................................wahwah

13. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

don't buy a high-end chorus without trying either the chorus-vib or the ultra chorus II.

they are quiet, versatile, and sound fantastic.

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Any chance your looking for a delay as well ?? The only reason I mention this is that the eventide timefactor does a fantastic, lush, warm. analoglike chorus sound - the best I've heard from a digital unit. All sorts of great chorus tones can be had, even great slow detuned stuff like Bill Frissel ( plus you get reverbs and delays out of the TF )

I had both the retro-sonic and the Timefactor for a while on my board until I realized I could match the organic lush CE-1 type sound I was getting out of the retro-sonic with the Time factor

you can not do the vibrato sound you can get out of the retro-sonic, but the basic lush warm chorus sound is there.

I am an absolute anaolg whore by the way....

I had both the analog man unit and the retro sonic. Liked the retro sonic better.

Retro sonic is more " Andy Summers " and does a killer vibrato, leslie sound.

Analogman, is excellent but more of a Kurt Cobain vibe going on...

I love Andy Summers tone....so there ya go,

15. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

I have never used the Empress, but I do own and use a Red Witch Medusa, and it is a fantastic pedal in terms of flexibility and tone character.

I also own the Diamond Halo, and I like it for those times when I want a more clean-voiced modulation. To me it has a refined character.

Props also go to the Analogman BiChorus and the Boss DC-2 Dimension C, even if they are not on your list.

cheers,
    Ian

16. radcliff

radcliff Member

analogman chorus is king for me

17. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Seriously? with the Timefactor? I had a Modfactor and hated the chorus patches, which was why I bought it in the first place. Maybe I need to try a Timefactor.

18. Andre357

Andre357 Member

interesting you say that, I bought and then SOLD my modfactor as well, because the chorus sounds were awful to my ears. Digital, cold, non-musical and gave me ear fatigue.

They cant even hold a candle to the chorus sounds available on the Timefactor ( which i was already an owner of when i bought the modfactor online sight unseen )

I even posted on the eventide forums about the subpar quality of the chorus sounds on the MODFACTOR. I'll bet they'll improve them with a software update - thats why I love eventide. If they do, maybe I'll give it another go.

I think the secret to the wonderful chorus sounds on the timefactor is the twin delay setup and the very powerful filter knob....you can get very ,very lush organic chorus sounds out of it.

And then of course combining it with delay and vice versa all in the same pedal is very cool....

And I dont even use chorus all that much ( 10 % of the tunes over a three set night maybe ?? ) ........but when i use it I want it to sound spectacular....

19. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

when you talk about the chorus sounds in the TF are you referring specifically to the ModDelay setting or going even beyond that? I'm still learning new things about my TF every day. Such a great unit.

20. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Yes, please explain how to achieve this chorus sound with the TF.