Chorus Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stuey222, Mar 5, 2008.

1. stuey222

stuey222 Member

I got a Maxon CS-9 Pro a while back, and while it sounds good, I'm getting to the point that it's not exactly what I'm hearing as my chorus sound. Anyway, I've been looking at a few other choruses and would like some input on what you guys think I should get.

As far as the sound goes, I'm looking for something that can get warbly, but still can get a nice thick sound. The Maxon is a little too subtle with things maxed, and just sounds too clean and pretty. I'm thinking I may want a CE-1 clone?

So if you have any info on the following choruses, or have any other thoughts as to what I'm after, let me know.

I've tried:
    MXR Stereo Chorus-Didn't play with this one a bunch, but the sound was decent, I didn't think it really fit me and it sounded a little bland and blah.

Visual Sound H20-Loved the chorus, but hated the delay. I think the Liquid Chorus is the same as the chorus side of the H20, thought it could get some really nice chorus sounds across the spectrum and I found I few I liked.

Small Clone-Not my thing, didn't like the limited controls or the voicing.

I've investigated:

Retro-Sonic-From the sound clips and demos I've seen, this pedal sounds great, and the vibrato addition looks tempting, but there is only an intensity control on the chorus.

Red Witch Empress Chorus-This looks like the end all of chorus pedals, ultra tweakable and it's the one Andy Summers uses-that pulls a lot for me. Really haven't seen any demos of it besides the Red Witch ones, would like some more info/sound clips!

Ibanez CS-9-I've heard good things, sounds pretty good on the demos I've seen, but I'm afraid it might sound too much like the Maxon.

Voodoo Lab-Sounds good in the demos, but not as good as the Retro-Sonic. Really thought it might be able to do what I'm looking for.

Carl Martin Classic Chorus-Haven't found any sound clips or demos. Has a vibe section as well.

2. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

3. burner

burner Member

I knida' liked the Voodoo Labs Chorus I demoed.
    I'll tell ya' though....My favorite chorus sound is from my old Roland DC-30 chorus/echo boxes.Nothing beats those,IMO.
    Sorry I can't post a clip though.
    I mean....it's essentially the Jazz Chorus sound in a box, and we all know those sound fantastic!

The prices on those ol' junkers I used to find in the pawnshops for $30 has skyrocketd to around $350+!
    If you are going to pay that much for a boo-teek pedal anyway, you might give one of the DC-30s a chance.I'm sure you could sell it off quick if you didn't like it.The echo on them is very good too.
    Live I used to run two DC-30s...one for echo and one for chorus.

I think you are correct about the CS-9.
    while they are a very good chorus,I don't think you'll gain much over the Maxxon.

Another great chorus,IMO, is the Scholz Rockman Strereo chorus....

4. stuey222

stuey222 Member

Well, the CE-1 was supposed to be the JC-120 chorus section in a box, so I figure the CE-1 clones will sound something like that.

5. Mantis

Mantis Member

DLS Ultra Chorus II, nuff siad.

6. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

the analogman chorus is on my list of pedals to come shortly...

7. 4styx

4styx Member

The Voodo Labs has been the best I've tried but couldn't get past the treble/volume boost.

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

EHX polychorus is my fave... the only chorus I would ever use with the exception of maybe a TC SCF. The EHX gives you the clean and pristine TC sound, and much much more.... its about the most tweakable chorus ever.

9. marmelade sky

marmelade sky Member

He sounded pretty allright as well when he was using the electro-harmonix polychorus , before ...

10. stuey222

stuey222 Member

Isn't the Polychorus as big as my Q-Tron+ though?

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

its big... but its got 4 different effects (chorus, flange, double track, and ring mod).... all selectable. So it feels like its using that space well.

12. 89strat

89strat Member

I've been using the analogman chorus, and it's really nice. I prefer it over the voodoo labs. Although the voodoo labs is supposed to be a copy of the ce-1. It's more warbly, almost flange like at some settings. I found it too muddy with any overdrive in front of it.

13. rossowj

rossowj Member

14. andrewi

andrewi Member

I used an Arion SCH-1 for a couple of months and it just sounded way too artificial to me so I went hunting. I picked up a Retro-Sonic and love it, it does the JC-120 sound really well and I LOVE the Vibrato option.

15. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I have been enjoying then BBE MindBender.

16. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

Restrosonic chorus or a TC Electronics SCF pedal. I have the latter, can't afford the former. The DC-2 is great, but not really a chorus, and if you want tweakability it's not for you.