Chorus & Vibrato Dilemma

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AshlandBump, Jan 30, 2008.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I've used both chorus and vibrato (pitch-shifting magnatone-type) in the past and like them both. I don't have either pedal right now -- I'm using a flanger at slow rate and speed when I want chorus-type effects. I'd like to add "real" chorus and vibrato so I'm debating whether to get the Red Witch Empress (chorus & vibrato in one pedal) or get two separate boxes: maybe a CE-2 or a Jacques Meistersinger for chorus and a used Austone Vibrostomp or used SIB Vibromatic for vibrato.

Going with two separate pedals would be slightly cheaper (around $250, compared to $300 for the Empress).

Space on my pedal board is not an issue - if it were, the Empress would be the choice for sure. Any advantage of going with two separate pedals?

Any experience comparing the Vibrostomp's vibrato (I've heard it -- it's great) to the SIB Vibromatic?

Thanks.

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i had the vibromatic and was extremely dissapointed with it. didn't cop the maggy vibe at all. big changes in tone/volume.

3. gil

gil Member

Tried the BBE Mind Bender? I dig mine. And only $150.

4. iualum

iualum Member

...buy a used Empress (or Uber/Mojo)...the DLS Chorus~Vib is also ALWAYS an excellent choice as well...

5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The RetroSonic Chorus Ensemble is a good fix. It has great, fat chorus sounds and a very nice, separate vibrato switch. It is a single pedal with not that large of a footprint for the tones you get.

6. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

Thanks for all the responses.

The Retro-sonic -- I used to own one. It drove me crazy that I couldn't control the depth of the chorus, it just wasn't lush enough for what I want, at times. The Boss CE-2 is my ideal chorus sound.

Interesting about the experience with the Vibromatic -- doesn't sound promising.

I'll have to try the BBE.

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

diamond is releasing a new, highly controllable Vibrato in the near future.

8. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

+1 on the Mind Bender! I love mine.

9. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Can't help you on the chorus thing...but if you like the CE-2, get that and a Berhinger UV300 Ultra Vibrato for VB-2 clone. Suprisingly a very nice and cheap vibrato pedal.

10. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

What about the old TCF Chorus/Flanger/Pitch shifter? Does everything you want. It's a little cleaner than the CE-2 type chorus, but a great sound and a killer pedal.

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

:confused:
    The Retro-Sonic has a control for chorus intensity, it's the rate of the chorus that you can't control - just like the original CE-1. It's hard for me to immagine a thicker, lusher, warmer, fuller sounding chorus than the Retro-Sonic (or CE-1) with the intensity full up.

13. cameron

cameron Member

The Mojo Vibe has a Chorus/Vibe switch. The Chorus sound is of course a Univibe replication, which isn't much like a CE-2 but probably has some areas of overlap with one. The Vibe mode does the Magnatone sound pretty well.

14. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

My mistake about the depth control vs. the speed control, but the Retro-sonic still wasn't the chorus tone I was looking for; a CE-1 is not the same as a CE-2. Beyond that, I didn't like the vibrato on the Retro -- it couldn't get slow enough, and just wasn't Magnatonesque. Different strokes for us I guess.

I guess, when it comes down to it, I'll have to wait and either get the Red Witch (disadvantage would be the inability to use light chorus and light vibrato at the same time, if I wanted to) or get a CE-2 (or something close) and the Austone.

15. woude

woude Member

I own the RS chorus and a boss ce-2. The ce-2 fills the void between the RS chorus and vibrato side; it does a slow vibrato and a deeper but slower (less seasick) chorus. I don't know what your defenition of 'lush' is, but the RS is fatter and deeper than the ce-2 and the ce-2 has more shimmer and is more subtle than the RS.

Still, I would be looking into other pedals first. The RS sounds better al around and I think the ce-2 would dissapoint you if the RS wasn't what you're looking for...