Chorus vs Harmonizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by oneidabow1, Jan 31, 2012.

1. oneidabow1

oneidabow1 Member

Whats the difference? Aren't both meant to imitate more than one guitar? Can they be used together succesfully or do they cause problems when used simultaneously? How would you set the dials? I have the MXR analog chorus and I am going to order the BOSS PS-6 Harmonist shortly (don"t have the cash for the Eventide).

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

There's no rule that says you can't use them together. Remember, that what might sound good to your ears may not sound good to someone else and vice versa.

3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i had the PS-6 for awhile and the Detune feature had some great chorus-like sounds, however a chorus by itself can't do a harmonization like the PS-6 can... but i don't see how they couldn't be used together... just make sure to have the chorus after the PS-6 in the chain so it doesn't mess with tracking

4. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

I tend to like the "detune" sounds from harmonizers (ex: whammy) better than actual chorus pedals. I've tried a few dedicated chorus pedals like malekko, boss, and danelectro but honestly the whammy's detune feature always sits better and sounds fuller in the mix than a chorus pedal.

5. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

I love the sound of detune esp when run in stereo. I consider a detune function to be in the category of a "motionless" chorus. A Boss Dimension C (or the Behringer Space-C clone) or a tri-chorus are good examples. You don't get a pronounced seasick pitch wobbling up and down, it's more of a stereo expansion to the sound. The Boss PS-5 does detune, intelligent harmonizing, pitch shift and whammy sounds.

6. Dire

Dire Member

Chorus just creates another signal (or sometimes two others) and varies the frequency of it (often to a level selectable by the user) at a certain rate (often imperceptably slow, but usually selectable by the user to allow for faster warbly-like speeds) and mixes it back in with the dry signal in order to get a weird sound caused by the dry and (vibrato-like) wet signals going slightly in and out of tune with one another. A harmonizer creates one or more other signals at completely different frequencies, the interval(s) of which are typically user-selectable on the pedal (e.g. you can play a single note and it can create a whole chord, as if three identical guitars were playing different notes).

One of my favorite uses for a harmonizer is to set it to play three octaves of the same note... Acoustic guitar simulator -> overdrive/mild distortion -> harmonizer = harpsichord effect...