• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Chris Bell´s Gibson ES-330

Cussion

I've been on a huge Big Star buzz last two weeks. Anybody got some more info on Chris Bell´s Gibson ES-330 which I've been told was his main guitar, although I've seen pictures of him playing Strats, Teles and a Gibson Firebird (Never actually seen a picture of him playing the 330, mysteriously)? When I hear his playing with Big Star and on his solo stuff (collected on the wonderful "I Am The Cosmos" CD) I hear P90s and Tele-twang. Chris seemed to be a Fender Amp fan. In the early days of Big Star was using a Fender Twin before changing up to bigger HiWatt amps for Live shows (Don't think they had the HiWatts around the time of the #1 Record sessions, but I'm not sure). After he quit Big Star I've read that he used a Tweed Bassman and a Fender Concert. Some of these solo stuff sounds very crunchy and overdriven tone-wise. My guess is that he still used the 330 on the solo stuff as well as some Telecaster.

Which year was Chris' 330? I know it's on loan to artists recording at Ardent Studios today. Very cool.

https://breathlessmini.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/crw_8939-copy.jpg
The 330 nowdays, played by the recent Big Star guitarist Jon Auer.

Trending Topics