Chris Cornell tour 2008/09 amp/rig backline

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, Jun 24, 2008.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hey all.... time for another tour thread! I'm real happy to be back to work.. we hit the road with Linkin Park in 3 weeks. We are holed up rehearsing in a N. Hollywood studio and we busted out all the old jams today, then it's on to learning new stuff.

I've revamped my rig pretty much completely for this run... after consulting with Dave Friedman and John Suhr about my goals and things I really want to achieve, I...

A: had my pedalboard rebuilt, and
    B; switched up my amp rig.

Dave had been talking alot about a w/d/w rig in the style of EVH, Steve Stevens, etc, and how I might like it. I've actually done it before, but not on a big scale, using 3 4-12" cabs to achieve massive tone ("vicious", as Dave puts it). Trouble is, I was trying to figure out how to do it using 2 or 3 heads.... since I was using different amps for clean and dirt tones, etc. It can of course be done, but I'm not John Pettruci and I couldn't see how a rack with multiple heads and a custom patchpanel/mixer to feed the wet signal was all going to fit into my future- seemed too complex.

So, enter John Suhr, and this lovely head you see here-

[​IMG]

PT100! kickass! :AOK

[​IMG]

John put the clean channel Landau is using in this amp, which is capable of dirtier tones than the standard OD100 as I understand it- it sounds like great brown and blackface fender tones to me. Really nice. After talking with me about what I was after he came up with a plan for the gain channel and woha it's just good old awesome aggressive Marshall. I've played other OD100's and I really liked things about them but when I hit the channel switch on this one and whacked a chord I was STOKED- VERY pleased. John nailed what I was envisioning. I really can't imagine wanting it any different. It's cutting but not too cutting, it has great clarity and definition, it's got that woody marshall knock, and it sounds awesome with lots of different guitars. Gain boost adds sustain and saturation, just enough for liquid solo tone but not too much (it's got the internal trim pot at half)! The overall tonal color is just awesome, it really kicks all kinds of ass. The modded Marshall you always wanted. It's got EL34's and the plexi tranny, and the depth and feedback controls (so nice for fine tuning) and the standard OD100 loop. It's been a long time since I used a channel switcher but this thing is rocking and if you want a versatile rock machine, check this amp out, tell them I sent you. I'll try and get clips up soon.

I'm running the amp into the Suhr line out box and then to a /13 4-12" with greenbacks for my center dry signal.

I take the line level out into the Fractal Axe FX Ultra, and I have about 40 presets I've created for different songs... loving using this unit for this purpose as well as other stuff. It sounds awesome- it's so tweakable and pristine. VERY powerful. I have a bit of dry in all the presets so the 2 outside 4-12"s are always rocking. More dry gets mixed in for solos. My basic sound has a bit of stereo echo in the wet cabs.

[​IMG]

The Axe FX feeds a Randall/Egnater RT 2/50 and then out to the cabs (also with Greenbacks, ones an EVH cab and the other is from Gene at Ultrasound in NYC, it's a beautiful old Marshall repro. Here's the whole rig:

[​IMG]

This is my board, which Dave did an awesome job on:

[​IMG]

The new X2 wireless worked great today, love that. I recommend the upgrade cable- the basic cable that attaches to the packs are a bit prone to noise at the connector. Fun having the Time Factor for dirty, greasy delays as well as for looping.

My guitars will stay the same, with a couple additions- the DG335 (KILLER guitar and looks badass) and my old Strat, and I caved in and got a Suhr Modern (not pictured)- my 1st 24 fret Floyd Rose guitar since the 80's! I'll get pics up of it soon. It's root Beer metallic with scraped binding and zebra pickups... maple neck. Shred machine. I had to get one! It plays beautifully and sounds great, those Aldrich pickups are awesome, they don't sound like super high output pickups to me (or at least my preconcieved notion of high output hummers).

[​IMG]

I'm gonna post this on TGP and HRI too. Both cool forums. I'll check in regularly and post pics and stuff, I enjoyed the thread last year and got to meet some real cool people out there on tour through the forums, so I hope there'll be more of the same this year...

2. Keld

Keld Member

Wow Pete - looks like an awesome setup. Must be fun to crank those 4x12's!

What is the neck like on the 335? I have one of the diamond 335's in the same color, and while it sounds great, the neck is a bit slim.

3. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I will have to catch you on this tour. That rig looks absolutely incredible! Best of luck with the tour!

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Nice rig!!!

Is the PT100 a production model?

5. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

Hey Pete,

nice set-up... do you have any tentative schedule for your tour dates...
    are you guys stopping by san diego again....

eugene

6. alivegy

alivegy Member

I bet it can be a lot of work getting a consistent sound out of a rig that complex. Do you have the full mix running to your monitor?

7. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

That is totally killer. Love to hear Jesus Christ Pose through that setup :AOK

8. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Congrats Pete! The head looks great! :AOK I wanna go play one!

9. mitch236

mitch236 Member

Are you using the G-system's MIDI to control the AxeFx? Are you using any of the effects from the G-System? How are you integrating the Axe with the G-System (since they seem somewhat redundant)?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I have a G-System and am intrigued about the AxeFx.

BTW, Awesome rig as usual!!

10. davros

davros Member

Thanks for posting Pete

I am getting an Axe-Fx in the next day or two and would appreciate you explaining how you are controlling/using yours live (I couldn't see a foot controller on your board other than the TC).

Best wishes for a great tour!

D

11. davros

davros Member

12. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

13. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

So PT100 = Pete 100? And it is built off the OD-100 Classic? Great stuff ... thanks for sharing all this, hope to catch that rig live if the tour comes through New England.

14. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I caught the first round of the tour in Cincinnati when you guys first started playing together and was drooling at the gear you and Yogi were sporting then. I know that you have been around a bit but damn, Chris must pay well. Do you keep all of the gear that I hear you talking about or do you sell it to fund the new stuff? Your house must look like a high end guitar palace!

15. Cthross

Cthross Member

Wow, unbelievable. Just when I thought your set up couldn't get any slicker. That set up has to be a blast to play through, and that DG335 is darn cool. I hope I get to listen to you play when you cruise through Phoenix. Have fun.

-Chris

16. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Very cool set up. I see you have one of the EVH Flangers on your board, which is what I've been using lately too.

17. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Very cool. Can't wait to hear it in action!!!

18. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

interesting pedal board. looks like the only boo-teek stuff is the BOR and Lovepedal.

Just curious, why the stock Phase 90 and not the custom shop '74 script version?

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Just proving once again - it DOES NOT SUCK to be Peter Thorn....
    Best wishes for the upcoming tour - go get 'em tiger!

Peace,

jb

20. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing.