Chris Poland Vs Marty Friedman (isolated tracks) ~OMG~ Can We Say~No Nonsense Shred!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lucidology, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Just listen to the 1st four minutes of this 13 minute youtube.
    Now I rarely, if ever, listen to a band like Megadeath. Just not my bag.
    So this is a totally objective viewpoint.
    In these 1st four minutes of isolated guitar solo tracks I hear no BS... I hear only great music.
    Strong & clean ideas & motifs ... Deep Emotion & extremely creative lines...
    & much more ..... Both almost flawlessly 'in the pocket' ... Can we say extremely creative musicianship ...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Beto, kennslp, Cliffhydro and 26 others like this.
  2. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I have never been a fan of Thrash, per se. Don't like Metallica much, can't stand stuff like Slayer, etc. That being said, I have always liked Megadeth. They have a strong sense of musicality that seems lacking with most of those other bands, imo.

I would consider both of these guys as top of the heap guitarists. Fantastic tone, chops, ideas, it's all there.

3. drewbledsoe

drewbledsoe Member

Both guys are ridiculously great and would have been top of the heap with any genre they chose to be in.

4. Flying_V1968

Flying_V1968 Member

Both insanely talented. Marty has the hair though! :p

Lucidology likes this.
  5. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I love that you totally get and respect these guys! Marty in particular was a MASSIVE influence on me growing up. His solos on the Rust in Peace album alone blew my mind. So unique, exotic, and emotional! Undeniable passion, which has always been #1 to me. A player has to have that sense of deep feeling and passion in their playing, and these guys both have it.

Lucidology and Allen in San Jose like this.
  6. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I think Poland's articulation is cleaner, the notes more "rounded" in shape. Marty--maybe because he has that extremely unorthodox picking technique--always seems to have a slightly scratchy attack on the notes; I think he's unable to mute adjacent strings the way other players can. That said, his talent is massive; I love how he can work in odd note choices and ALWAYS make them work. Marty plays with total commitment and urgency--he's perfect for this genre. One other thing is also clear: Poland has been a monster from day 1 in the studio--Holy Smokes! And that was 30 years ago!

7. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Chris Poland immediately sounds like Chris Poland!!!! I doubt I'd pick out Marty Friedman's playing in an audio "line-up" but I'd instantly spot Poland's playing. Probably in my all-time top three rock/fusion guitar players. When I watch Marty I'm surprised that his left hand pinky is all contracted and curled up when not in use (which is surprisingly often). I'd have thought that over the years he'd have disciplined his left hand technique to keep the little finger above the board - if only for aesthetics. Given his ability with using mostly three fingers, I doubt whether there'd be an efficiency gain.

sanrico, Brooks, sgmarshall and 3 others like this.
  8. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

If you watch videos of Poland, he has the oposite problem. His index finger is awkwardly positioned and not used as regularly. I think I heard he hurt it in an accident.

9. harry65

harry65 Member

Marty imo is a musical genius and I don't use that term lightly or often............

MkIII Renegade, kunos, tnvol and 5 others like this.
  10. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

..he learned to speak Japanese
    fluently enough to host his own TV show in Tokyo which, for my money, indicates a superior intellect....nevermind the guitar chops!

Lucidology, kunos, tnvol and 4 others like this.
  11. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Chris Poland is from my favorite era of Megadeth and I LOVE his playing! His bends are just absurd and the feel he has are really just soooo out there. \m/

Friedman's note choice, however; is stellar. That is my favor thing about his playing.

12. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Both are great players, but to me Chris Poland is the benchmark of articulation and clarity and how left and right hands can work in perfect sync. His fusion stuff w/ Ohm is stellar.

13. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

What is probably more telling about me is that, other than a few tunes off Return to Metalopolis; I don't listen to either guitar player outside of Megadeth. They are both insanely skilled, but their own songwriting doesn't really do anything for me. When Poland came back in the early 2000s to do the System Has Failed; I was very excited. He didn't rejoin but there is some good stuff of his on that record as well.

14. Sheherezadeh

Sheherezadeh Member

You should work on that.

Lance and CJReaper like this.
  15. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

2 of my favorite players for sure. Poland is Jan Hammer with a guitar. Marty's eastern arpeggio style is totally his own voice, love it. Still love his 'Scenes' album.

CJReaper likes this.
  16. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

I call 'em both the Neil Schon of metal. You can recognize the uniqueness of their note selections even if all you had to go on were outdoor Rokit 5's heard while you were eight feet deep in the pool. For me personally, I prefer Marty just a bit more because his love for exotic styling where you least expect it is right up my alley.

Finally, as others have pointed out, Skolnick is right up there as well. Monster player.

buddaman71 and sedawkgrep like this.
  17. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Cool thread, Joe! I didn't expect you to listen to this style of music, but you appreciated the musicality of Chris Poland and Marty Friedman. Both guys were probably the best lead guitarists that Dave Mustaine could hire for his band. I find Chris has a more fusion vibe in his lead playing compared to Marty whose playing style is more neoclassical style of lead playing with some awesome phrasing to space out his flurry of notes. I enjoyed listening and admire the lead guitar playing styles of both guys and Alex Skolnick as well.

I think Alex Skolnick is the most schooled of the metal guitarists as he has a music degree, has knowledge of jazz, made a jazz CD with his adaptation of classic rock/metal songs, has a jazz trio, and performs with Testament, Savatage, and Trans Siberian Orchestra. I look to Alex for inspiration because of his well rounded knowledge of rock and jazz playing without being a fusion type guitarist (No disrespect to other people who play that style).

I found both players to be an inspiration for my rock playing, but I lean more towards Friedman's or Skolnick's style of guitar playing, if I were to choose one of the players, as I find both of their playing style speaks to me more.

Guitar George

tnvol and Lucidology like this.
  18. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I've been aware of Skolnick for awhile now ... Loved his jazz guitar versions of Metal tunes ...

20. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I agree. His feel and articulation are amazing, and he comes up with some very interesting left of center lines. Friedman is great, can definitely shred, and I love how he goes outside in a totally non jazz/bebop fashion.

Poland's entire thing floors me, though. I can imagine working for a while and nailing some Marty stuff to a T, but probably not the blazing Poland stuff. Not that clean, at least. :D