Chris Siegmund's new guitar design!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Macaroni, May 28, 2008.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm posting this here, since it really has to do with Chris being a Small Company Luthier, although this project was initially revealed in a thread started on the Amp's forum.

I eMailed Chris and asked him about the new guitar and whether I could share some of this info, and here's what he wrote...

"The new guitar idea is not really a secret. - Maybe the details of it's construction, since it is very different and original. I had the idea a few years ago and have now time to do something new again.

It's basically a small body double-cutaway hollow guitar. The innovative part is a unique but simple floating bracing system inside the body, where the bridge and pickup is mounted to. Sound travels from the inside out throughout the entire instrument. The shape of the guitar and it's interior construction are essentially making the sound, very unlike conventional solid bodies.

The strings create the tension and balance of the response and sound the guitar produces, similar like acoustic instruments, but without the resonance that can create feedback problems with louder amplification.

I love large carved archtops and also very much like small light semi-hollow guitars. I like the responsiveness and liveliness they provide over straight forward rigid solidbodies.

This new guitar uses an entirely new principle of generating and balancing sound.

I hope and believe when it's all finished it may well be the most responsive small body guitar ever made.

It will look and handle like a solidbody but feel and play somewhat like an acoustic guitar, just without the problems that each of these designs present.

I hope to have it all ready sometime in July.

Have to wait for the finished product before I can add up all the time and parts to figure out the price.

Stay tuned and thanks for your interest.

Chris"

So there you have it!

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like something I will have to investigate! Thank you very much for posting. And second-hand thanks to Chris Siegmund for the info (and intriguing design). I'll definitely be considering it!

- Thom

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Good deal! Glad a bit more could get out. I was just being extra careful. The key is in the FLOATING bracing system...think about it and how acoustic instruments are normally braced. Very interesting!

4. Wayne

Wayne Member

I'm glad you were able to post this tidbit of info about the new guitar. As an owner of a Midnight Special, I enjoy following the creations of Mr. Siegmund and the prospect of a new guitar design is very exciting.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I believe Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy model has a floating bracing system in it.

-Austin

6. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'm sure people throw around the term...I've seen a classical acoustic with the name Floating Bracing but it was obvious that it wasn't the same thing, and looking at this page:
    http://www.carvinmuseum.com/playersgallery/holdsworth.html

I can already tell just looking at it , it's not the same thing..just looks like a chambered guitar to me.

7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

You're looking at 2 different models of guitars on the link you provided. How about taking a look at a page that actually has some information on the model :rolleyes:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=hf2

-Austin

8. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Right, I did look at it...It's got standard mounted pickups & bridge & tailpiece right into the top...making it more just like a chambered guitar. The posts in this case probably act more like feedback control and sustain bars than the codependence to the entire rest of the guitar like Chris explains in his model. I'd be interested to try it out though, might stop by the Carvin shop in SD next time I'm around.

Here's a snapshot of the CARVIN model...

[​IMG]

There are bits and pieaces of 'floating' going on, but not to the extent of what Chris has going.