Chris Stapleton CMAC concert

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by '62 CS Strat, Jul 28, 2019.

1. '62 CS Strat

'62 CS Strat Member

Wife and I got free tickets to see Chris Stapleton last night at CMAC in NY. Now I I'm not a country guy more traditional blues but free tickets, killler summer night and cant pass that up. I'm familiar with his '62 Fender brown Princeton amp.

Wow!!! That guy has some serious talent, chops, voice and guitar tone. His tunes and band is really phenomenal. I read an interview afterwards that says he just plays the signature new ones on the road now. The breakup, sustain and articulation was so Fendery and impressive. One thing that I wasn't aware of that sounded killer was his '62 RI Fender Jazzmaster. It was giving plenty of breakup without sounding too overdriven or muddy.

His voice.....damn....he has an impressive, really impressive gravely range. He was walking from upper octave notes all the way down with a great southern vibrato and grit.

I don't know if he writes his own songs but awesome structure with catchy chorus lines. He COMMANDS a stage without trying to overplay or over sing. Country chord changes are definitely different than blues (Im used to 1,4,5.)

If anyone has a chance to catch him definitely worth the money..

Marcus King and Margo Price opened. I preferred when Marcus played his 345 as his Tele sounded really treble and too bright. He's got some pipes on him too.

Mr. Kite, mdrake34, Gig Young and 2 others like this.
  2. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

He not only writes his own songs but he writes everyone else's. Seriously, he is a tremendous talent.

3. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

Did he perform I'd rather go blind..... I mean Tennessee whiskey?

Roark likes this.
  4. '62 CS Strat

'62 CS Strat Member

Tremendous talent. Props to Marcus but respectfully that was one area I thought Chris was on a whole other level was song writing and not over playing and driving home a hook and chorus. I am listening to Slim Harpo, Hound Dog Taylor and Jimmie Vaughan mostly this week so he is outside of my norm but can sincerely appreciate he is a force of nature. I would love to hear him do some Howlin' Wolf.

5. '62 CS Strat

'62 CS Strat Member

We left and sounded like there was 2 more tunes as we walked to thebparking area. He didn't play Tennesee while I was there but I imagine he did.

6. jeff5371

jeff5371 Silver Supporting Member

He's fantastic. He has written a ton of hits for other artists and all his own stuff too. His voice is phenomenal and he's not a bad player either, just a great talent. For my non rock/metal stuff to listen too, I alternate between him and Isbell a lot.

7. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Not quite the Wolf but here is doing justice to some James Brown:

8. russ

russ Supporting Member

I think Chris is fantastic, and a great influence on what's gets plays on country radio.
    I really like listening to his wife sing harmony with him!

Tony Foran likes this.
  9. 55hz

55hz Member

You should hear him playing bluegrass.