• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Chris Whitley-What happened to the alternate recording of Din of Ecstasy?

vintage66

I remember a few years ago there was a thread that had a link to the original recordings of Din of Ecstasy before the record company tamed it down and it was so much better than the cd release. Does anyone know where that is on the net? I was hoping they'd release it as a cd but I haven't heard anything else about it.

vintage66

Listened to the whole thing-forgot it had about 3 songs that didn't make the original cd. Wish they'd release it as a deluxe 2 cd set it something since that's how it's done these days.

B Money

holy shiznit, I didn't know this existed. "Din" is such an intense record, I can't imagine that there exists an untamed version.

..ok so I'm listening now, and this sounds like pre-production demos?

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
Didn't know this existed.
Thanks!
This record was in heavy, HEAVY rotation during a very difficult time.

dennyman

Thanks Tiktok. I really liked that version of DOE. Chris' world of music could take you to some uncomfortable places though.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
The way I remember it, the "alternate mix" removed a HUGE portion of the "studio murk" that was subsequently inflicted upon Din; murk that was probably imposed to make it sound more "grungy", that is, more marketable and contemporary. Listening to the original, "cleaner" Din, there's a MUCH better sense of continuity between Living With The Law and Din. I wish they had just left it alone. A reissue would be ideal.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Din has been one of my favorite records since it was released. Terra Incognita, too. I haven't heard this raw version yet and I look forward to it. Been a big fan of CW forever. When I listen to him sing, I hear so much of Lightnin' Hopkins in his phrasing.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
holy shiznit, I didn't know this existed. "Din" is such an intense record, I can't imagine that there exists an untamed version.

..ok so I'm listening now, and this sounds like pre-production demos?
I'm not sure--the SoundCloud account it's posted to belongs to one of the engineers who worked on the album.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
Din is my favorite release EVER. I bought it the day it came out and spent weeks immersed in it. Just this morning I has several cups of coffee while listening to the Soundcloud link above. Thank you.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Din is my favorite release EVER. I bought it the day it came out and spent weeks immersed in it. Just this morning I has several cups of coffee while listening to the Soundcloud link above. Thank you.
Me, too. I was so in love with Chris' music for years, still am. Sometimes I cry over him.

lpnv59

Yeah the original release sounds nowhere near as good as this. Dougie Bown is a great drummer. I saw CW several times around Boston. The 2nd time with Bown....who was riviting. Like early Bonham.

This sounds GREAT! I bought the cd and could not get into it because the mix was so crap.

Last edited:

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I love the original release, by the way. Narcotic Prayer is an absolute must opener. If this alternate recording is in the chosen song order, then it loses to the commercial release, which I think got it perfect.

Trending Topics