Christmas CD (Acoustic/Soloway)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by zoooombiex, Jan 24, 2008.

1. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I threw together a short, mostly acoustic Christmas CD before the holiday and figured I'd share with you all. Mostly mandolin and guitar, with some slide, flugelhorn and keyboard (accordion) thrown in. I still hear a lot of stuff I'd like to fix if I had/have time, but overall I enjoy it a lot. It's only about 20 minutes...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=341629

BTW, go easy on the flugelhorn comments. I only picked that instrument up a couple weeks before recording this - literally - and have never played a brass instrument before. It took a lot of editing just to get it where it is! :)

Oh, and I happened to be recording this when the Soloway demo Swan arrived, so I managed to catch that bird on tape. (slide on white christmas, rhythm guitar on let it snow, and more background guitar on white christmas). Those are not it's usual clean tones (rhythm guitar had the treble rolled off, slide was very compressed), but if nothing else they help show the breadth of what it can do.

2. sega

sega Member

On Let it snow the guitar sounds half banjo half guitar...
    What did you use to get that sound?

Nice music all around, and free to download?

3. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

the first melody is played on a mandolin - is that what you are referring to? it's a rather unique mandolin, with a large gourd/bowl body, which makes it less plinky than some other mandolins. as for the other parts, the rhythm chords are the soloway (electric). the second melody is the flugelhorn, with a guitar doubling the second half. that guitar was an electric with single coils in an "inbetween" setting to get the hollow sound.

thank you! and please feel free to download & share. (i think the licensing says something like free for non-commercial uses).