• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

"Christmas Time Is Here" Solo Baritone Guitar

JParry335

Oh that is great. Brings back memories of Charlie Brown.
Yeah, Vince is so recognizable.
Very nice man.
Merry Christmas to you.
Would love to hear more. Nicely done.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for listening, guys.

Here's another one I did a couple of years ago. Also baritone guitar, but electric. The audio isn't great...bad mp3. Can't find the original audio....

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing simple about that. Very nice and thanks for posting.

mojazzmo

Damn Arthur, now you got me jones in' for a baritone. Is that your own arrangement? It totally reminds me of Metheny's one quiet night type of vibe. Very cool. That baritone has such a voice. Excellent job.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, Jostein!

Mo.....I use Metheny's modified Nashville tuning, so that's why you hear the resemblance. I'm whole step higher than him, as I have a shorter scale instrument.

mojazzmo

Thanks, Jostein!

Mo.....I use Metheny's modified Nashville tuning, so that's why you hear the resemblance. I'm whole step higher than him, as I have a shorter scale instrument.
Cool. Can you run down the tuning and what gauge for each string as I love the sound. How does it affect your chords and such, do you have to learn all new voicings?

Thanks again for the inspiration.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
The voicings could be fingered the same, but the middle two strings are an octave higher, so the upper notes of chords are very tight with 2nds and unisons being common.

If you want the melody to be in the right register, some reworking needs to be done, because your high strings are in the middle of the guitar. Long story short, you can comp chords as usual and strum as always and kind of revel in the result, but if you want to have a melody on top, you have to rethink everything.

I'll chime in later with the exact gauges. I change them so infrequently, I'll have to look in the case.

OK.....I'm back.

1st .017
2nd .026w
3rd .016
4th .022 (plain)
5th .059
6th .070

I tune B E A D F# B. The A and D string are plain steel and an octave higher than usual.

I use elixir nanowebs, especially important on the 26w, which is too squeaky if you don't use a coated string.

Last edited:

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. It does sound nice. I'm pleased with the way it records, even just tossing up a mic for an impromptu session in the spare bedroom.

Trending Topics