Chrome-top Tele pickups that don't sound like mud

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jpervin, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jpervin

jpervin Member

Anybody know of any Tele neck pickups with the chrome/nickel cover that don't sound muddy and lifeless?

A less expensive one would be a big +, as well.

2. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

For a very reasonably priced alternative, the Dimarzio Twang King neck pickup is one of the better sounding chrome covered tele neck pickup that I've tried.

If you can use a strat sized pickup, Duncan's lipstick tube looks pretty close to a traditional tele neck pickup and is bright and crisp. It's just slightly bigger.

3. jpervin

jpervin Member

I thought Fralin Tele neck pickups didn't come with the chrome cover...or maybe I'm thinking of Rio Grande.

4. jpervin

jpervin Member

Hmmmmm....

I'll look into those. Thanks.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You may be thinking of Harmonic Design - here's my Tele with a Vintage Plus neck PUP (great tone; sharp Esquirey look):

[​IMG]

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

The Vintage do; Blues Special & the other higher output Fralins do not come with a cover.

I really like my Fralin Vintage neck. I actually wind up playing it more than the bridge.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Lollars, Kinmans both are awesome to me .. price that is a different issue.

8. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Not cheap but the best i've used are Hamel's, his Tall Neck.

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I might as well add - this from personal experience: forget "cheap." Get the right PUP for your needs the first time if you can regardless of price. You what truly ain't cheap: burning through 6 cheap PUPs before you break down and buy the expensive best fit you should have ordered at the outset.

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I'm with you Jon +1

11. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I had Wolfe McCloud wind me one that sounds real nice, no mush at all.

12. CNP

CNP Member

I've tried many, and the best I've heard are GVCG/Lollar staggered alnico III's. Pricey, tho, and they come relic'd.

13. mikecee

mikecee Member

Owen Duffy made me a nice set. I asked for a SRV tone in the neck and Buchanan in the brige and he did a great job. The neck is uncovered though but the tone is exceptional.

I replaced the Nocaster neck with the OC Duff pickup. In comparison, the Nocaster was much less dynamic. A good pickup in its own right but not nearly as expressive as the OC Duff pickup.

Mike

14. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Aside from many of the boutique pups mentioned, check out the Texas Tele specials from Fender. Great value, no mud.

15. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

The Duncan Antiquity II 60s Tele neck stands up to any neck pickup I've heard from the Fender CS in terms of clarity and cut.

16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I like the standard "American Series" Fender Tele neck pup pretty well. Combined with the "no-load" tone pot feature, it is possible to get a pretty good Tele neck pup sound. I have the standard Fralin neck pup on another tele. Good Pup but I don't think it has the clarity of the American Series. Of course the guitar differences (American Series - thinline tele, Fralin - solid body) may be part of the difference.

hunter

17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps in comparison to Fender's offerings, but in comparison to my Fralin Vintage equipped Tele, it's a blunt, heavy object. I just got a Tele that came with AntII's, and I'm trying to fiddle with them to get them to a place I like them, but it's not happening.

I'm trying to get ahold of Peter Florance (which seems to be a challenging task...) as I'd really like to try a set of his 60s pickups, or I'll just knuckle down & get GVCG/Lollars, if they're are any available.

18. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

On the lower cost end, the Dimarzio Twang King is hard to beat. Not so much traditional tele neck tones, but a nice mix of tele/strat/min hum tones. The VV neck ( although no cover ) is a good un also. The Duncan Antiquity is very nice although a bit more up the price ladder. I had a Fernandes neck pickup from a TE-2 ( their 62 custom copy ) that was as good as anything I've heard. A real surprise. Don't know if they are all that good of this one was a freak!

On the botique, the Lollars are fantastic. As are ElectroKraft/Stephens/Wolfe/et al.

19. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

What type of Tele do you have? On my custom shop I changed the
    wiring to the "non vintage" option and...BANG...no mud!!:D

20. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Are the pot & cap values the same between those two pieces? B/c I wouldn't describe any one of the 3 sets of Fralin Tele pickups I've tried as being particularly bright with the standard 250K/.05mfd array.