"Chunking" is a game-changer for building speed

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by mcmurray, Sep 15, 2019.

1. mcmurray

mcmurray Member

I was introduced to this concept in Troy Grady's course 2 days ago, and already I'm playing nearly twice as fast as I was previously able to, and relaxed while doing so.

It's a simple idea - take any 6 note sequence for example, and instead of focusing on every note that you play just focus on the first one and ensure it lands on the beat, the following 5 notes are played pretty much mechanically so they fall into place naturally without thinking about them.

This video explains it well:

Does anyone here use these ideas when playing? With hindsight it's an obvious idea, but in the 25 years I've been playing (on and off) I'd never thought about or tried doing this. Additionally, not one guitar teacher I've had has ever put this idea forward.

I think I can make some real progress now. Keen to hear your thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    precisionguided, ivers and Guitardave like this.
  2. ieso

ieso Member

Otherwise known as the 16.6% focus method? :D

Congrats on the new progress!

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

I do enjoy Ben's videos though. Fun.

BenoA and Yngtchie Blacksteen like this.
  4. Guitarist64

Guitarist64 Member

If you're going in that direction, go to YouTube and use "cracking the code" as a search. I thought a lot of those vids were hilarious b/c i lived thru much of the same stuff.

5. precisionguided

precisionguided Member

I just found the cracking the code stuff recently and I found I naturally had stumbled upon a double escape picking motion. It wasn't as clean as I'd liked, but with the help of the videos, it actually helped me analyze and tweak my picking motion and make it cleaner. It's interesting how little is usually taught about the picking motion, other than a few basics.

mcmurray likes this.
  6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

He gets into the meedley meedley but maybe I missed the weedly deedley, which is where I'd like to get to in my playing.o_O

7. willyboy

willyboy Member

yes absolutely I'm aiming for the down beats which helps to keep me in time, and of course it's important to evenly place the subdivisions within the note groupings which is where the groove comes from. It's how I also teach my students to deal with time. The chunking idea for quick tempos is also something i've done for many years and also how I was taught by my prof's at university

mcmurray likes this.
  8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I'm going for the 'playing cards in bicycle spokes' effect.
    I'm half serious.

mcmurray, Bluesful and Bussman like this.
  9. A. Deafman

A. Deafman Member

Guthrie Govan has mentioned this "target note" approach to fast runs in some videos. Very useful, glad you are making it work. I can't always wrap my head (or 2nd and 3rd fingers) around it.

10. mcmurray

mcmurray Member

Do you have a link for that? Guthrie's always full of wisdom, I wouldn't mind watching it.

11. A. Deafman

A. Deafman Member

I was lucky to find it again! Here it is:

The "targeting" or chunking technique begins at 10:05 or so.

I could do without all that shreddy gain and delay, but man he has good chops. Someone to learn from, even if I don't listen to his records. He also mentions a few Paul Gilbert style licks I practice now and again for left-hand finger independence. I'll never be that proficient, but I enjoy good exercises now and then before going all primitive where my heart lies.

BenoA and mcmurray like this.