Chunky neck SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ungarn, Jan 19, 2008.

1. ungarn

ungarn Member

Is there a particular make/model of Gibson SG that has a chunky Les Paul style neck? I generally prefer the fuller neck profile, and it seemed like most of the SG's I picked up at GuitarCenter had "thin" necks.

Maybe the Edwards or Yamaha SG's are different?

Thanks for helping!

2. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

The standards and specials are supposed to have the chunkier neck. The '61 RI is 60s. My brother had an SG std in the 70s - he sold it because he found the the neck too big.

3. angler87

angler87 Member

I have a '67 SG Junior and the neck is bigger than the neck on my Nocaster. Huge. They can stilll be had a for a reasonable price.

As for new models, I can't help you.

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

sg classic has a nice neck on it

5. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

seems like evey guitar EXCEPT the 61 RI has a huge neck

6. echale3

echale3 Member

I have an SG Special (faded brown) and the neck on it is every bit as chunky as the one on my VM Les Paul... It's a bit different profile than my LP neck, but it's a real hand-filler....

7. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Yeah, you'd probably enjoy an SG Standard. I wish Gibson would make a '61RI-style SG with a larger neck. I can't get the 60s slim taper neck to sound in tune no matter what I do.

8. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

SG's were always known for a more slim profile ! Maybe you need a Les Paul ? The new Historics have nice full necks !! My R8 is very full but I have big hands !!

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

Thanks all...yes, I was interested in finding an SG with a neck profile more like my Les Paul Standard...nice and chunky!

10. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

SG Classic seems to have the largest neck profile.

11. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I believe Robert1950 is correct... the Standards and the Specials have the biggest profile. Check out the Gibson website. It lists the profile on each model and gives the actual dimensions on a separate "stats" link (I think it's called that). The "Rounded" is bigger than the "Slim Taper".

12. guitaraddict

guitaraddict Supporting Member

My 07 SG Standard has a baseball bat.

13. Roe

Roe Member

my tokai has a thicker neck than a 61 ri but isn't real chuncky

14. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I've got a 2004 SG Standard that has a beefy neck, comparable to a Les Paul.

15. rastus

rastus Member

I'd say that the Standard or special would be the one to have for a chunky neck-I have both f/s right now and they are pretty big-the Special is the better sounding one, though. It's also kinda cool because it's mint and has the gloss nitro finish-It's black and looks kinda sinister. The standard has a "tomato soup" lookin finish and has some dings and stuff. Nothing special, though. It's one I got in trade, I don't figure it's going to sell for what I have in it. I'm seriosly considering refinning the Std in Palham blue.
    That special is a mean motor scooter though.... I gotta add that on the Standards and Specials made before 95 or so the neck is smaller, but not as tin and wide as a 60's. I really prefer the earlier ones had a 93 that was just awesome but the neck was by no means "big".
    I think a recent one will fit the bill nicely!

16. rooster

rooster Member

I played a real 61 LP/SG back when I was a teenager, and it had a very rounded, big neck. I actually preferred my 72-74 standard, as the neck was that "medium" neck carve they did back then; not skinny, but not fat. I also used to own a 63 Special, and it had the skinniest neck I've ever played. I don't miss that one.

rooster.

17. jay42

jay42 Member

I thought the large pickguard/longer neck joint SGs had the beefiest necks. That's like 66 to 69 version - yes, no?

18. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Yeah, the classic is great! Not as chunky as a R8 or 68RI LP, but still nice and beefy! :cool:

19. mark23

mark23 Member

+1 I own a sg standard and I tried out a the SG classic and the neck profile is noticeably larger on the classic then my standard.

20. XKnight

XKnight Member

I had an SG Classic and the neck profile was definitely in the baseball bat ballpark. If you like thick neck SGs with P-90s that is the way to go and the price is under a $1000 new.