• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Church gig amp help

hackett

You know, you're behind a plexi-glass tower, have a monitor and all that stuff. Right now I'm playing hot rod delux. The volume is set on 1 1/2. I would like to drive an amp a little bit, ya know? I'm also going through, for me, an unusual period in which I am not in to Fenders. How many watts do I need? I'm interested in cool cheap amps. cool boutique amps and everything in between. It's basically a pop gig. I use pedals but like amp overdrive too. I like all major styles of amp sounds. Going through my weird anti Fender stage, but include those anyway cause I'll get over it soon. Oh yeah, I'm playing strats on this gig.

thirsty one

Silver Supporting Member
I am having the same question so I can't be much help, but yesterday I played two amps at a store in Memphis that knocked me out. The Bogner Duende & Alchemist.

koa

Silver Supporting Member
Suhr Badgers are great for Church and small venue gigs. On a budget I loved my Epi Valve Jr. It was so great with pedals and at five watts you could run it wide open and not over power the audience.

bynt

Well the bad news is that even a five watt amp sounds like it might be too loud. You could always look into something with a great drive channel/master volume (my favorite: Zinky Blue Velvet) but that's not driving the power tubes. If that's what you want, I don't know if there is such a thing without visiting either a power scaling amp (Egnater Rebel for cheaper, I'm waiting on a Soultone 45 but it's pricier) or an attenuator. My buddy has a Z brake (he loves it) and I"ve heard decent things about the THD Hotplate. A lot of folks here swear by the Ultimate Attenuator.

Of course if you're looking for just a little bit of hair that's not as much of a problem. I've heard really good things about the Blackheart, too. Hope this helps!!! Oh yeah, and they just started a Praise and Worship forum, too. It should be on the TGP homepage when you sign in. Those cats may be able to help you but I'm not on that forum so I don't know.

Good luck!!!!

therhodeo

I keep my cab backstage in a little room so I can run my Soul-O 45 loud enough to break up. Is that an option for you?

Flying Panda

I play in a 3,500-seat church, and stage volume is still an issue. I also got a little weary of the Fender sound, so I went with el84 chime in a Vox AC15cc with a Blue replacing the stock Wharfedale speaker. Now chime and grind is where it's at for me. The amp loves all my dirt pedals, OCD, Eternity, Crunch Box and especially my Sun Face NKT, and the master volume is pretty usable. Just know that if you play one in a store, a new speaker will sound pretty stiff. Once they're broken in, though...mmmm, delicious.

Austinrocks

You know, you're behind a plexi-glass tower, have a monitor and all that stuff. Right now I'm playing hot rod delux. The volume is set on 1 1/2. I would like to drive an amp a little bit, ya know? I'm also going through, for me, an unusual period in which I am not in to Fenders. How many watts do I need? I'm interested in cool cheap amps. cool boutique amps and everything in between. It's basically a pop gig. I use pedals but like amp overdrive too. I like all major styles of amp sounds. Going through my weird anti Fender stage, but include those anyway cause I'll get over it soon. Oh yeah, I'm playing strats on this gig.

the channel 2 will let you run it a higher volume, the deluxe is a great amp, the volumes are linear, not audio, so running 1 1/2 is pretty standard, you can mod them pretty cheap and get linear volumes the omega mods are pretty popular here and cheap, $250 or so

http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

the clips on the site are just incredible, check them out, you may want to keep your hot rod deluxe, mine is not modified yet, but I certainly plan on it.

case4bass

Being handy...I built an iso box. 24x24 inch box with a 12" speaker and a microphone
sm57 direct to the board.....never a problem with volume.
I have 6 amps and can use any one i want with the iso.

Wesman61

Silver Supporting Member
the channel 2 will let you run it a higher volume, the deluxe is a great amp, the volumes are linear, not audio, so running 1 1/2 is pretty standard, you can mod them pretty cheap and get linear volumes the omega mods are pretty popular here and cheap, $250 or so

http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

the clips on the site are just incredible, check them out, you may want to keep your hot rod deluxe, mine is not modified yet, but I certainly plan on it.
Actually they are audio taper. I was going to change mine to audio only to find out they already were.

Austinrocks

if you can't isolate that cab... you've got to keep it under 18 watts.

JJs 6v6 will get down to around 20 watts, with a dummy plug in the external speaker jack with the factory set bias, you can lower that by adjusting the bias, not sure that 18 watts has to be an exact number, the factory setting bias with JJs 6v6 with out the dummy jack is around 10 watts ran that way just fine till I found out about the dummy plug.

Sherman

Silver Supporting Member
I've used a bunch of different amps for my church gig. So far the one I like the best is my 65 Amps London 18. That being said, I have an ADA Rocket A20R headed my way. I remember seeing/hearing one back when they came out. It's a single end EL34 based amp that puts out 15 watts. There's another TGP'er selling his A10 which is a single end EL84 amp that puts out 9 watts. Both amps sport a 1x12 cab. Most single tube amps run through a 10" speaker but I like the low end of a 12" speaker. I can't wait to give my A20R a spin at service this week.

Trending Topics