1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

CI Octavian, really this gated?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shiny_Beast, May 17, 2011.

1. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

Just got one, rolling the volume down sounds almost like the battery is half dead. Is this how it's supposed to be?

2. erksin

erksin Member

Most octaves want to see full volume, neck pickup, tone control rolled completely off for the best tracking. You can get some cool sounds rolling your volume back, but you will fight with it.

Sounds pretty normal to me if you're trying to use your bridge pickup.

3. Shiny_Beast

that's what I've been reading, it sounds reall cool, I'm just wondering if all is right because of the gated effect.

I read somewhere a bunch of the DIY guys were srprised how gated sounding their builds ended up.

4. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Yeah, my Octavian doesn't clean up.

5. Shiny_Beast

So I "gigged" it tonight at an open mic, it totally rocked! I was really surprised at how usefull it was. I was going into yjr house Pevey tube amp, this was my only effect.

Tottaly Cool, I'm still not sure all is right, but it kicked a lot of ass tonight :)

6. landru64

landru64 Member

to me, that's what a real octavia sounds like. a lot of modern ones have been optimized to not sound as splatty.

7. Truxton Spangler

Truxton Spangler Member

Could you elaborate on this? Because i've been wondering about that since a question I posed a few months ago

From videos it seems as if the fulltone octafuzz and several other octave clones track too well whereas in hendrix recordings it seems as if his octavia doesn't track very well

Best regards -T

8. landru64

landru64 Member

i think you described it just right... actually i have an early octafuzz that is very blatty/splatty/lacking in sustain. i've played some other boutique octavia things that tracked great. even some ones that could handle multiple notes..or chords even! (pffft... this is not what i'm going for, personally).

it's almost a ring mod kind of effect (well maybe it is actually a ring mod effect!)

9. Truxton Spangler

Truxton Spangler Member

Which clones do you think track less well, like in the hendrix recordings? Chicago Iron?

Best regards -T