cigarette odor in my GUITAR!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by timeforheroes, May 30, 2008.

1. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

So, just wondering if any of you know how to get the smoke-y odor out of nitro finished guitars?

lemon oil? wood chips? vinegar?

any and all help is much appreciated!
    Thanks,

2. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

years of being in a non smoking environment helps.
    My Marshall smells horrid, but I kinda like it.

3. phatster

phatster Member

Clean it with a orange peel cleaner,then literally tape multiple dryer sheets to the body,if this fails mask the instrument with pepermint oil{you got many choices here...patcholi perhaps}:banana

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I sprayed one of my Danelectros with Febreze and then cleaned it with lemon oil to get that awful cigarette smell out. It worked just fine. Now, the case is another matter. It stinks! I'm going to air that out over the weekend in the backyard.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

If you have a rosewood fingerboard, clean it with a few drops of lighter fluid followed by a wiping with few drops of rosewood oil.

6. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I bought an ADA MP-1 off of HC about 8 years ago and it smelled like it had been sitting in a smoke filled bar for about 10 years. It completely overpowered my music room at the time that was 12X25. I had to sell it and the smell still stuck around for a week or two.

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Look for a product called "Nil Odour" or "Nil Odor". This stuff can wipe the smell/stench out of anything. I used it when I moved into a new house which had been completely ingrained with cigarette smoke for years and it worked really well. You only need a couple of drops of it and it smells a little like a ultra-synthetic bubblegum compound.

8. oldrock

oldrock Member

I'll tell you how to get the smell out of guitar cases. Least it works for me. Just spray some fabreeze in the case and then let it sit outside in the sun all day. Not sure what it is about that combo but it does get ciggy smell out of the case pretty well. Just be careful with the case outside that you don't forget about it and it ends up getting chewed by the dog, sprayed by the sprinkler system, stolen, etc.

9. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

To mask the smell while you're playing, hang one of those car-mirror-trees from your headstock. Looks cool too!

10. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I wouldn't touch it if you like how the guitar sounds. Nitro sucks up mojo like a spounge.

11. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Just dont play too fast for a couple of days afterwards for risk of the fretboard catching fire.

12. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I unwrapped a long awaited package of boo-teek pups from the intermediary who ships them and the smell of spent tobacco was extremely powerful.

Trying to decide if I should e-mail my friend or send him some Nicorette; he needs to be taking better care of himself.

Bubbanov

13. fish78

fish78 Member

Start smoking...you won't notice it.:D

14. 5E3

5E3 Member

:roll

15. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I had a stinky marshall cab for a while, I put it inside a cardboard box with an incandescent, sprayed the grill cloth with febreze, used goo gone on the tolex and for good measure put a car air freshner inside the cab ,

left it like that for a week, killed off all the ass smell and it has "New Car smell"

:)

We also use this stuff at work
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Deod...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

its a bit strong for me, but it kills any odor,

We usually have 3 guys spray the drape down after its been rented with that stuff, Kills most smells after a few days in fresh air theres no odor.

I dunno if its wood friendly.

16. ?&!

?&! Member

The technical term for cigarrette stink is "mojo"...

17. Grap

Grap Member

Damn. You kid's don't know that you're born ;)

Yeah. I don't smoke. Never have. If I'm in a bar where someone's smoking I get home, dump my clothes in the washing machine & hit the shower, but back in the 70's my Dad played the Working Men's Clubs of Northern England...

You'd be in a club that held maybe 200-500 people. Sometimes 1000-1500.

They'd be packed.

Everyone would be smoking.

There'd be maybe half a dozen extractor fans up high in the walls.

By the end of the night you'd be struggling to see across the room, literally. Hell, if I was with him, and at 14 I'd regularly be there to help hump gear (and so my folks could be sure I wasn't emptying the home-brew barrel while they were out) I'd sometimes have to go and stand outside 'till I could breathe again.

We had a room in the house set-aside for his stage gear (clothes & PA) to "air off". All the windows open year around and it still stank.

18. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

my '75 LP was a bar-guitar I think.
    definitely had that odor when I first got it,
    but after years in a non-smoking environment...
    James has got it right.
    Even the case doesn't stink as bad.
    If you are worried about oils and stuff on your guitar, you
    could try baking soda, which lotsa folks stick in their refrigerators
    and shoes to eliminate odors.
    That way you don't have nasty chemicals on your nice finish.

19. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I bought a used Gibson Lucille off of Ebay once that must have had a three pack a day habit. Seller said nothing about it. The guitar/case reeked of smoke. I did everything to try and get rid of the smell but in the end I sold it to a friend who was a smoker and he didn't mind at all. Good luck!

20. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Good answer!!!

:D

I'm only surprised it took 12 posts for it to come out!

"An ashtray! Oh Johnny, you shouldn't have! I was thinking of taking up smoking, now this clinches it!!!"