CIJ Strat into Princeton

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by 56_Special, Sep 28, 2006.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

This is my first posting of a soundclip. It's a short blues improvisation on my new CIJ ST54-120DMC Strat into a SF Princeton with a Rajun Cajun speaker. The speaker is new and still sounds a little harsh to me. It's miked with a Shure Sm-57. I hope you enjoy it.

Blues clip

Best,

Martin

p.s. I originally posted this yesterday, but some how that post is now missing.

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Nice tone. Is that a Princeton or a Princeton Reverb?

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Thanks! It's a Princeton. Stock it was very feeble. There was almost no volume until 4 on the dial. Dimed it was very clean. My tech converted it to a long tailed phase inverter, added a master volume, and a presence control. Under normal circumstances I would consider that unforgivable butchery. But the non-reverb Princeton is really a flawed design and something needed to wake it up. As long as you don't go nuts with the controls, it can sound pretty nice. Here I had the MV on about 7 and the volume at 2. I find that with the MV still at 7 and the volume at about 5 I can get a very nice blusey breakup. But it's pretty loud at that setting and I'm recording at home so I turned it down.

Martin

4. anyone

anyone Member

Soulful! I like the way your phrasing breathes.

5. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Thanks, anyone! Coming from you that means a lot because I've admired your own clips (esp. the Heritage amps clips) and I know you're a player. I've got to work on laying back a bit more on the quick passages.

M

6. anyone

anyone Member

Hey thanks! Those quick passages kill me every time; I've got to learn to breathe!