Cioks AC10 . . . bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersun, Feb 22, 2012.

1. papersun

papersun Member

Hey guys. Got a Cioks AC10 (pretty big step up from my old One Spot) and MAN, does that sucker buzz. I'm assuming it's user error since these things are so well regarded, so here's what I know:

(For reference, I run a XP100 Whammy (9vAC), PH-1r (12vDC), Timmy, ARC Green Muff Clone, Boost, EHX DMMTT, and Boss RV-5. The dirt pedals are daisy chained.)

1. When everything is bypassed, the PH-1r and Whammy buzz like a swarm of killer bees. SO FREAKING LOUD. Now I knew the Whammy had bad bypass anyway but it was never this bad on its own power supply, and the PH-1r has had fine bypass. I thought about putting these two in a TB loop, but then there's the other thing:

2. All the other pedals are dead quiet when bypassed (I took the PH-1r and Whammy out of the chain just to see), but BUZZ CITY when they're on. Sheesh.

I haven't had time to sit down with everything and pick it apart. Someone suggested to me that maybe some pedals aren't getting enough power, but mAs shouldn't be an issue. What should I try? Like I said, pretty sure this is user error.

2. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

I'd start with making sure that you are using the isolated outlets and not doubling up. I have the AC10 and although there is 10 outlets, there's really on 6 that you can use in isolation as well as certain combinations that don't work, due to the design.

Here's a quick snip from their website:

Specifications:
    Outlet 1-2: 9V DC / 100mA each
    Outlet 3-4: 9 or 12V DC / 200mA each
    Outlet 5-6: 9 and 12 or 15V DC / 600mA*
    Outlet 7-8: 9 or 12V AC / 800mA*
    Outlet 9-10: 9, 12 or 16V AC / 800mA
    * only one of these two sections can be used

3. jb4674

jb4674 Member

This. also, make sure that the dip switches are set the proper way according to your requirements.

4. papersun

papersun Member

So between outputs 5-8, I only have one output? I think I was misunderstanding it, thinking I could only use 5 OR 6 and 7 OR 8.

5. pedalshark

pedalshark Member

If you email Poul Ciok at info@cioks.com with your pedal chain you should have an answer on how to set it up on the AC10 by tomorrow.

6. CaptainAwesome

Correct - you can't use say 5 & 7 together, so 2 of the outlets are really unuasble from the beginning. You can use 5&6 together, but they won't be isolated....

7. jb4674

jb4674 Member

So, here's the AC-10 pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By looking at the pictures above, I would run banks 5,6,7 and 8 with the dip switch in the "off" position to use them in DC mode and banks 9 & 10 with the dip switch in the off position as well to give you 12 volts ac max. In the end, all dip switches should be in the "off" position.

You are correct in thinking that you can only use one output for banks 5 & 6 and one for banks 7 & 8 (so, you'd either use 5 and leave 6 unplugged and use 8 and leave 7 unplugged).

I would plug the XP-100 into bank 9 only (to the left of the one that says 12/16)

The PH-1r should be plugged into a 9v bank (it only draws 11mA at 9v DC)

I don't think you should have your dirt pedals daisy chained, as there should be enough outputs to put them all isolated.

With that being said, I'd plug them this way (looking at the banks from left to right according to the picture above):

1. Timmy
    2. RV-5
    3. PH-1r
    4. EHX DMMTT
    5. ARC Green Muff Clone & Boost daisy chained
    6. Empty
    7. Empty
    8. Empty
    9. XP-100
    10. Empty

The only reason why I put the ARC and the boost daisy chained was because I didn't know what their power ratings were.

EHX Draw info:
    http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-memory-man-tap-tempo/instructions
    http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/000/995/955/trimmed/995514_12886955_trimmed.jpg

Timmy Info:
    http://www.stompthatbox.com/pedals/timmmyreview.asp

Boss:
    http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/ph-1r.xml
    http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/rv5.xml

I hope this helps.

8. CaptainAwesome

You are correct, except for the underlined portion below. You can only use either 5/6 OR 7/8 - you can't use one outlet from both at the same time. The way you suggested he wire it matches this though...

9. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Thanks for the insight captain :) , I didn't know you could only use one of the 4 (that's kind of a bummer)..

10. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

If you use tap 5/6, you cannot use 7/8 and vice versa. But you can use the taps 5 and 6 as long as you do not exceed the mA.