Cioks Adam (POUL requested a vote, page 3!)

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Option 1 seems best to me, however are you sure the TL can run on 230ma? I have had trouble with mine on 250ma voodoo labs power taps before, and have always used the higher curr[/B][/B]ent taps on my Cioks DC10 for the Timeline. Worth noting I use midi on both my Timeline and BigSky.

Option 3 is interesting in so far as it alleviates my Timeline concerns without costing me a tap to use a flex cable. I could go for either 1 or 3. Three would probably be a bit more comfortable for me, but if you can clarify the Timeline concern I could be happy with either most likely.

I vote option 3 cause I need my timeline guaranteed to work...

Last edited:

chrisross

These are from the manufacturers websites:

Strymon:
What are the power requirements for the TimeLine?
Posted by rick
TimeLine requires a power supply that provides 9VDC (center negative) at a minimum of 300mA.
Posted in: TimeLine Power

What are the power requirements for Mobius?
Posted by rick
Mobius requires a power supply that provides 9VDC (center negative) at a minimum of 300mA.
Posted in: Mobius Power

What are the power requirements for BigSky?
Posted by Ethan
BigSky requires a power supply that provides 9VDC (center negative) at a minimum of 300mA.
Posted in: BigSky Power

Eventide:
Space
For a regulated 12VDC, the current requirement is 380mA at power up and 300mA in normal operation. Do not use unregulated 12V.
For a regulated 9VDC, the current requirement is 500 mA at power up and 400mA in normal operartion.

Timefactor, Modfactor, Pitchfactor
For a regulated 12VDC, the current requirement is 380mA at power up and 300mA in normal operation. Do not use unregulated 12V.
For a regulated 9VDC, the current requirement is 500 mA at power up and 400mA in normal operartion.

TC Electronic:
The Nova Delay, Nova Reverb, Nova Modulator, Nova Drive require 12V DC 300 mA. Use the power supply provided in the product box or a power supply with similar specifications.

NOVA Repeater requires 9-12V DC 300 mA. We recommend using the supplied 12V power-supply or a power-supply with identical specifications.

Empress:
Superdelay
Power Input Voltage 9 - 12 V DC (Positive tip)
Power Input Connector 2.1mm barrel connector (Positive tip)
Power Consumption ~300mA

According to my research, I wouldn't feel comfortable powering any of these pedals (except maybe the Superdelay) with a 9v 250mA tap. However, a 9/12v 400mA tap will guarantee safe power to any of these. Every so often a story pops up about a guy who under-powers his super pedal and it dies on him after about a year.

DStout

I would buy Option 1 (the original design) for my Nano board (wiith two small Strymon pedals, a Blackstone OD and a Turbo Tuner).

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
These are from the manufacturers websites:

Strymon:
What are the power requirements for the TimeLine?
Posted by rick
TimeLine requires a power supply that provides 9VDC (center negative) at a minimum of 300mA.
Posted in: TimeLine Power

What are the power requirements for Mobius?
Posted by rick
Mobius requires a power supply that provides 9VDC (center negative) at a minimum of 300mA.
Posted in: Mobius Power

What are the power requirements for BigSky?
Posted by Ethan
BigSky requires a power supply that provides 9VDC (center negative) at a minimum of 300mA.
Posted in: BigSky Power

Eventide:
Space

Timefactor, Modfactor, Pitchfactor

TC Electronic:
The Nova Delay, Nova Reverb, Nova Modulator, Nova Drive require 12V DC 300 mA. Use the power supply provided in the product box or a power supply with similar specifications.

NOVA Repeater requires 9-12V DC 300 mA. We recommend using the supplied 12V power-supply or a power-supply with identical specifications.

Empress:
Superdelay
Power Input Voltage 9 - 12 V DC (Positive tip)
Power Input Connector 2.1mm barrel connector (Positive tip)
Power Consumption ~300mA

According to my research, I wouldn't feel comfortable powering any of these pedals (except maybe the Superdelay) with a 9v 250mA tap. However, a 9/12v 400mA tap will guarantee safe power to any of these. Every so often a story pops up about a guy who under-powers his super pedal and it dies on him after about a year.

I understand your point in posting this chart. One thing you have to consider is that the chart is a general mA provided by the manufacturers. They are not actual mA that the effect(s) actually put out while in use. To Poul's point, he has measured the mA of each device and posted his actual findings, which is where he is basing his reasons for his design in the power units he has built.

I'm not speaking for Poul but that is what I have found based on my emails and phone conversations that I've had with Poul in the past.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
In defense of 'the chart' (above), if there is ever a problem with a pedal, the manufacturer will (likely) ask what was used to power it. If the PSU does not meet their stated specifications, then they may have grounds to refuse warranty coverage.

bitd, we used to quote/design-in a healthy 10-20% 'cushion' for power supply specifications because of unit-to-unit tolerances, variance in line-voltage, and we had a healthy regard for inrush current on heavily filtered clients (ie things that have large filter caps on their incoming DC power busses). At Tektronix this was a concern, since we had sooooo many plugin modules for things like the old TM 500 line...plus customers would also design their own plugins, right up to the edge of our stated spec. NOW, on the typical pedalboard setup, all the pedals power up at the same time so the multi-tap PSU-designer's worst-case scenario of 'all inrush current occurring simultaneously' is ALWAYS going to happen...not just worst-case. AND it will happen right when the PSU powers up as well, putting additional stress on it.

I know I don't have to tell all this to Poul..he does it for a living. This is more for reader-information/education (the broad public doesn't 'get this stuff', ime).

Anyway, if Strymon or Eventide said '300 mA', my gut-level instinct is to pick option 3 because "overly-safe" is how I was trained and how things get the reputation of being robust. If the transformer becomes the limiting factor, I'd even consider dropping on of the 9v taps and adding it's 100 mA to the 9-12 tap...as long as other internal components would support this....heck, that'd give a person 500 mA, and then a guy could stagger the inrush current demands by turning on 2 high-current pedals individually (just plug in the power manually to each high-current pedal).

...But hey.... the sun's not even up and my coffee hasn't finished brewing...(yawn).

needa cuppa java

mc_deli

I think the above has kinda sidetracked things. Surely Nano owners are far more likely to use the small box Strymons. Putting a TL, Mobius or factor on a Nano is surely very rare, and then only leaves room for one more pedal... Meaning the original PSU is a good option.

(Hence, the logic of option #1;) )

CIOKS support

Does any of you guys voting for option 3 actually have a Nova pedal and would like to use it on a PT-nano..?

If you hav concerns regarding powering a big Strymon of a single 250mA outlet, just use a parallel adapter Flex #8800 and both 9V / 250mA outlets. Then you'll have 500mA avaliable.

Best,
Poul Ciok,
CIOKS

orhunmc

This is from the tc site regarding nova pedals:
-Edit, added the link to where I got it.
http://support.tcelectronic.com/entr...-with-a-9v-PSU

Nova pedals: Using them with a 9v PSU
Question
Can the Nova pedals run on a 9v PSU?

Answer
Yes - all Nova pedals can run on 9v as long as the PSU can supply the required 300mA.

There is no loss of audio fidelity when using a 9v power supply, the only difference is a 3dB loss of headroom – from +10dBu to +7dBu (which is still way more than most competing pedals).

Last edited:

CIOKS support

Is there a signature, I mean who wrote this? I'd like to call him up and have a chat with him (or her) to verify this and also get a deeper explanation. Many digital pedals, like Eventides, will draw a higher current at lower voltage to compensate, so the power supplied to the pedal stays the same. I believe there's no signal loss at all (but I'm only assuming) since all the internal circuits are powered of an internal switching power supply inside the pedal, which provides the correct voltage no matter if the external supply voltage to the pedal is 9 or 12V.

Best,
Poul Ciok,
CIOKS

CIOKS support

BTW, if information in post #73 is correct and tc will verify this, I'm sure that my choice of spec. set 1) for our new CIOKS Adam power supply is the right one to go for.

Remember there are many new digital EHX pedals, BOSS twins and MoogerFoogers or say the MemoryLane (at 18V) that will need more than 100mA but below 200mA. With configuration 1) you can power two of them with no need of special cables and both will be isolated (except Diamond ML, which will need both 9V outlets and a series adapter Flex).

Best,
Poul Ciok,
CIOKS

am83

Does any of you guys voting for option 3 actually have a Nova pedal and would like to use it on a PT-nano..?

If you hav concerns regarding powering a big Strymon of a single 250mA outlet, just use a parallel adapter Flex #8800 and both 9V / 250mA outlets. Then you'll have 500mA avaliable.

Best,
Poul Ciok,
CIOKS

I have a empress tape delay , and want to use it on a PT-nano. That's why i vote 3

CIOKS support

Empress Tape delay you can power using the two 9V / 250mA outlets with the parallel adapter Flex #8800, so no problems at all.

Now, the 9 or 12V issue with Nova pedals is solved, try to hit me with a combination of pedals (a realistic one, maybe the one you have), which Adam power supply would have problems with with configuration 1).

Best,
Poul Ciok,
CIOKS

chrisross

Empress Tape delay you can power using the two 9V / 250mA outlets with the parallel adapter Flex #8800, so no problems at all.

Now, the 9 or 12V issue with Nova pedals is solved, try to hit me with a combination of pedals (a realistic one, maybe the one you have), which Adam power supply would have problems with with configuration 1).

Best,
Poul Ciok,
CIOKS

The H9. Seems like a great unit that can handle all of the factor pedals in one small package. I'm thinking 250 won't cut it... That's looking like a great choice for a small board to cover a lot of ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejkennedy

The H9. Seems like a great unit that can handle all of the factor pedals in one small package. I'm thinking 250 won't cut it... That's looking like a great choice for a small board to cover a lot of ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I literally just ordered an entire new PTmini and pedals for it. In looking for a suitable power supply I was reduced to doing what I set out to avoid-buying another Pp2+. Somebody posted in my.thread about this cioks Adam. So here I am never saw this thread till it was just recently bumped. I have a Xotic LP compressor, Rockett Blue note, and Eventide H9 going on the board. Will this new Adam PS power this? If so I'm buying asap.

ejkennedy

Just read the whole thread.

I
Vote
THREE

Pretty pretty please. Or just make an option model for both " 1" and "3" and sell both. Call them-
Adam 1
Adam 3
Honestly by the end of the year I'd have both. As soon as you release either I'll have bought it.

OPTION 3 for CERTAIN for my own personal reasons.

Sincerely
Edward Kennedy

Top Bottom