CIOKS DC10, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus or MXR DC Brick?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pete12string, Feb 9, 2015.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I'm comparing power supplies. Need to power about 8 pedals - nothing really out of the ordinary other than a battery powered Vox wah wah, TC Electronic Nova Repeater and HOF reverb. I play/record at home.
    Right now I'm looking at CIOKS DC10, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus and the MXR DC Brick. Looks like any of these will have enough outputs to handle what I need. I'm leaning towards the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus because it's in the middle as far as price, has isolated outputs and gets great reviews. One thing I haven't been able to determine is does the MXR DC Brick have isolated outputs? Is the CIOKS that much better than the others?

What do others think about these selections?

Thanks!
    Pete

2. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

Go with the PP2+, you won't regret it, and you can find one used at a good price here on the emporium. The DC Bricks is a daisy chain in a box, so the outputs are not isolated.

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

+1 for a PP2+. The DC brick is not isolated.

4. pete12string

Thanks! I'll be looking for a PP2+.

5. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

dont get the brick, more than likely the nova is going to eat up all the available current alone, if not its gonna be close. (speaking from experience as a brick user, mine is about tapped out on current, I personally need to upgrade I'm going the route of cioks). and yes, the brick is not isolated.

6. minty901

minty901 Member

Announced at NAMM was a new MXR Iso brick that is like the DC brick but isolated. great price and loads of outputs. There must be a catch so I assume it isn't toroidal transformers.

7. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Check out Voodoo Lab ISO 5...

Cheaper than the PP2, and you get an 18v and 12v outlet.

Remember, you can easily daisy-chain off the ISO5's remaining three 9v outlets.

8. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

the dc10 can power your nova without any extensions needed. and if you wanted more it would be great for any other pedals you may choose. but i think that even tho youve only got a few pedals maybe something cheaper would be better.

9. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I have had good results with the Decibel Eleven Hot Stone

10. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

YESSSS.
    i switched from a Voodoo Lab and the Hot Stone is quiet as can be! perfect power.

(i had noise, "hum", issues with my PP2+ when the pedals were right on top of the power supply)

11. pete12string

I'll have to look at the Decibel Eleven Hot Stone... All these look good. One thing is I don't want to go cheap and regret it later.

12. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

What about the new one from Walrus Audio? It looks crazy cool too!

13. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i have the hot stone high current model
    it works great however, it has not enough 9 volt outlets
    some of my pedals can be run at 12 volts but very few
    i have to use the power supply that came with my line six wireless
    to make ends meet, it is a pain. is there a way to reduce the voltage
    on the 12 volt outlets to 9 volts???????

14. Lawness

Lawness Member

What are toroidal transformers and what difference do they make? I'm thinking about getting an ISO brick when it's released but the Decibel Eleven Hot Stone Deluxe is still on my maybe list. Do you know if that one has toroidal transformers?

15. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Far as I know the DC Brick is not isolated, sort of defeats the purpose of buying it.

BBE might have something around that price though that is isolated. If you're going to play good money for a power supply, I feel like it has to be isolated and have good transformers.

Seems like the PP2 is the industry standard.

16. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Switched from CIOKS DC8 to CIOKS TC10, don't even want to get anything else :)

17. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

If all you are looking to power are the three pedals mentioned, there are great alternatives available with isolated taps at a very reasonable price point. The Voodoo Lab ISO-5 is at $109 and the Cioks ADAM is also in the same ballpark and both can handle the Nova Repeater. At a slightly higher price, there is the Cioks Big John that has 2 high mA taps available and also the Cioks Schizophrenic that have two high mA taps while providing 2-9/18V powering options.

Based on your list though, I would suggest the Cioks ADAM or the Voodoo Lab ISO-5 (also has an 18V tap). The DC Brick is also in the same ballpark price point as the ISO-5 and ADAM but does not have isolated taps.

18. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

The Voodoo Lab PP2+ was one of the best gear purchases I ever made.

19. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I have been very happy with my Decibel 11 and Voodoo power supplies.

I've been running 2 small Decibel 11's for 6ish months and they have no discernible noise issues.

I just hooked up their largest unit (forget what it's called) and it's running very well.

20. garage-s

garage-s Member

DC10 my friend, sooner or later you will have a couple of Strymons, or other high current eating monsters, PP2+ is nice, just a bit out of date now.

I know because just traded in my pp2+ and ISO5 for 2 DC10s, learn from me.