CIOKS ***** Power - anyone tried it yet?

Anyone tried the CIOKS ***** Power? I think it's pretty new. Thinking of getting one to replace my 1-Spot

It supposedly uses a toroidal transformer with some sort of magnetic shielding (mu-metal?)
temperature protection and 10 outputs (8 isolated):
2x400mA
2x200mA
4x100mA

Some of the outputs can be switched between 9 and 12V which is ideal for me because my Providence delay and Megavibe are both 12V (provided that the 12V outputs are isolated, since the Megavibe is reverse polarity)

Not sure if I should go with this or the MXR CAE MC-403.. the 403 definitely looks cooler but it has too few 12V outputs as it only has the two variable outputs for 12V.. I've heard that the Burkey PSUs are switched but are those good alternatives otherwise?

http://cioks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=61

Best regards -T

Last edited:

dudu

They're not that new. If I'm not mistaken the T-Rex fuel tanks are just rebranded Cioks supplies.

I haven't personally used one, but a close friend has the AC-10 and he's very very happy with it.

They're not that new. If I'm not mistaken the T-Rex fuel tanks are just rebranded Cioks supplies.

I haven't personally used one, but a close friend has the AC-10 and he's very very happy with it.
Cool. The T-rex supplies are cheaper than the CIOKS but i've heard of some issues lately with the Chameleon? I like the size of the T-Rex Chameleon alot and it has 12V outputs aswell.. It's really weird that there are no 12V outs on the MC-403

Best regards -T

roflo

My AC-10 Cioks is not like any of the T-Rex power supplies. I had a bunch of boutique and odd power requirements and research a ton and only the Cioks AC-10 could handle what I needed. It has worked perfectly and have had it about a year so far.

JRBain

You might be thinking of the Carl Martin PSUs? Those are rebranded Cioks units. I have a T-Rex, and it's rather different in design. Good supply.

baggas

Looks pretty much the same as the DC-10, which is awesome and I have raved about before if you do a search on TGP.... but there's no way a bright pink ***** Power unit with it's questionable artwork is going on my board ever!! lol

Wonder what inspired that marketing strategy? and who do they expect are going to buy it?? Give me my beautiful black DC-10 any day.

dudu

You might be thinking of the Carl Martin PSUs? Those are rebranded Cioks units. I have a T-Rex, and it's rather different in design. Good supply.
Yes, you're right, my bad :) I knew there was at least another brand that sold Cioks PSUs but didn't recall which one. T-Rex must've come up my mind instantly because they're also from Denmark.

baggas

wow i didn't realise TGP automatically censored the word *****
what if I was posting about my cat? :)

StompBoxBlues

Looks pretty much the same as the DC-10, which is awesome and I have raved about before if you do a search on TGP.... but there's no way a bright pink ***** Power unit with it's questionable artwork is going on my board ever!! lol

Wonder what inspired that marketing strategy? and who do they expect are going to buy it?? Give me my beautiful black DC-10 any day.
Yeah...that actually is a VERY weird decision. Nobody wants a label as being a possy (take that auto edit), and guys aren't crazy about going around with bright pink pedals in any case, and the drawing...well...I just am without words.

I don't mind putting that pedal on my pedalboard. I already have a pink providence delay on there. I couldn't care less how my powersupply looked as long as it works well and isn't huge

Best regards -T

stinkfoot

That unit is a limited run which was designed mainly as an attention-grabber, and as such it has done its job well... :) Poul has said he might put it (or a renamed version) in regular production, if there's enough interest.

All of the outputs are isolated, except the two pairs in the 400mA groups. Those two groups are isolated from each other and the others, but the two outputs within the pair aren't isolated from each other. So you have 8 isolated sections, with 10 outputs in total.

It has already been answered, but anyway... Carl Martin has a power supply in their line with is designed and built by Cioks, and the Eventide Powerfactor is also a Cioks design. But there's no relation (that I'm aware of, I should add) between Cioks and T-Rex.

Also, the Burkey power supplies are not switched - they also use toroidal transformers.

effectsman

I've got the DC10 (black). I'd recommend it. It quietened down my pedalboard considerably compared to my one spot.

sketches

I have a friend who'd get a big kick out of that and she's female.

But I do agree. I really hope they didn't make too many / is the future cause of the companies inevitable downfall? Jinx, ha.

Also I really want to get a DC10. I will one day but the shipping from the only place that I know is available is too expensive :(

Prymaxe, Tonefactor and PGS should jump on CIOKS! Also DC8 and AC8 are more interesting that ***** Power.

Trending Topics