1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Circle Fret System

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MikeT, Jul 26, 2006.

1. MikeT

MikeT Member

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Another fix for something not broken.........

3. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

i wish i could disagree AND agree.
    the guitar is the perfect imperfect instrument. we're always fighting intonation issues. who's to say this isn't a fix?

it could be just another novax fanned fret, but it could also be another step like the feiten system.

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Damn! Loads of eye candy right there!

I'm in love with the Suhr sporting the EMGs!

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I am. It's not a fix unless the one claiming that it is can prove it, although they don't even claim it, because clearly this wouldn't do such thing. The only thing this does is make sure that the angle between the string and the fret is exactly 90 degress instead of... just a sec, quick calculation... 90.88 degrees (less than 1% difference) in a worst case Strat with a 1-5/8" nut and 2-7/32" string spread at the bridge, 1st and 6th strings. I don't see how that can have any effect whatsoever on intonation.

What they do claim is that "the guitar sound noticeably clearer ,and note separation was much more distinct, contributing to a much more balanced and the same time fuller sound." Sure. Because of the angle. Right.

6. Marcel

Marcel Member

Ikebe-Gakky are claiming something that they did not invented!

www.kritz.com

These guys do this sinds the early '90.
    Some local guitar magazines claimed it worked perfect.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

.......and can you imagine barre chording on one of those???!!!!!:confused:

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

And so is the piano. There is always the possibility of hitting a wrong note. Enter the player piano. No more wrong notes!

Ralph Novax's fanned fret system is an entirely different beast. The varying scale length isn't for intonation, rather ease of chording and tonal gains, ie: clarity in the bass with singing trebles due to the shorter scale's mandolin-like response. The difference in fret angle between the circular fret system and traditional is minimal and minuscule and it is doubtful that anyone would hear a difference. One would certainly feel a difference, though. And to do any maintenance on circular frets would mean a return trip to the factory, as no luthier would want to or be able to touch that job!

9. MikeT

MikeT Member

10. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

well i mean the novax as a ref to a "passing fad". i liked the idea, but you don't see a whole lotta cats using one, ya know?

11. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Well, it seems to make theoretical sense. It would be because of the difference in string length and not the angle, however. I would hesitate to pass judgment either way without any evidence.

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

David,

I've never had the opportunity to play one, can you "bend" the strings just as well as on a normally fretted guitar? What adjustments must you make, if any, in technique?

Oh, Boy, I'm beginning to sound like another member of this board.....yikes!

Best, Pete.

14. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

yes it is functional.
    but it was also a flash in the pan. interest stirred up and died quickly.
    tell me how many you see out there?

it does not appeal to mainstream guitar oriented histrionics.

so- i supposed "fad" isn't a great word; as that implies great popularity in a short amount of time.
    the novax system is a flash in the pan and will be remembered along w/ the popular simmons drum and will hardly be remembered as functional as it is.

does that mean it's bad? no. useless? no.

if you don't agree- cool.
    but do a search here for "novax" and tell me how many pages come up.