Cites regulations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Husky, Jun 30, 2011.

1. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Silver Supporting Member

It's also not a issue only affecting the USA.

2. raph

raph Member

Seems to me the issue affects people who need to transport their tools in order to practice the musical trade.

football likes this.
  3. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

I want to get in here for a question, since I'm currently fairly clueless on the whole CITES thing.

I recently got a neck that's all rosewood. I was considering buying a body to put it on that's also all rosewood...but I notice the guy who made the body is in Sao Paolo and I'm in Texas.

Is this now illegal?

4. Vede

Vede Member

Take with a grain of salt - this is just one person's experience - but I recently bought a guitar (Mayones) while traveling in London and carried it back with me on the plane (Virgin Atlantic) to the US. No one at any point, including when I was doing my VAT refund paperwork at Heathrow, or at customs in the US, asked about the guitar at all.

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Not surprised, but also would not be surprised to have some customs person suddenly decide to check, and even hold a guitar that had no CITES wood in it. Appears they can assume you are guilty until proven innocent

6. archey

archey Member

If a person has Brazilian rosewood that's been in the US since before the Lacey act was enacted, can they use the lumber to make instruments? Say I find an antique made from rosewood that was built in the 1800's. Can I use the reclaimed lumber from it?

7. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Sure, I don't think there is any restriction on using the wood (as far as I can tell) but the kicker is transporting it across your border. Brazilian Rosewood is now in the category of ivory and tortoise shell as far as movement across borders.

archey likes this.
  8. archey

archey Member

I wish the laws were more clearly defined. There is so much misinformation out there as to the legality of using Brazilian rosewood. I had a person confront me on Facebook about selling a piece of Brazilian. He said "I'm sure you are familiar with the new laws on Brozilian rosewood!" I didn't respond, but I figured I shouldn't take legal council who thinks the rosewood comes from Brozil.

9. 2leod

Yep, mere possession of Brozilian Rosewood warrants the automatic death penalty.

If you look back through the links provided in this thread you should be able to find, if not solid answers, at least the framework for restricting the trade of Brazilian Rosewood. I don't travel with my custom acoustic guitar that has B/R back and sides, but I've taken my old '70s El Degas that has B/R fingerboard and bridge through US customs and so far no consequences.

archey likes this.
  10. archey

archey Member

Ha! El Degas. There's a name you don't hear often. They had some pretty cool guitars. I love 70's & 80's mij brands. Especially Daion and Yamaki. I've always wondered if there was an El Degas/Yamaki connection.

2leod likes this.
  11. 2leod

I'm not sure if there is a connection - there is a B&J mark on the inside sticker, so wherever they were made it was a contract build. Still sounds great, but the fretboard is pretty road worn even with all the sanding and fretwork I did to it.

archey likes this.
  12. Timtam

Timtam Member

13. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I knew this law was about preserving rosewood. I actually did not realize how far it went.

14. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

Question....
    Found a guitar in Japan (Fender Strat mfg. date 1997 per neck & body date codes) and I have a very good friend going to Japan soon....
    How do I get the guitar through US Customs at LAX??

15. Ranch Dubois

Ranch Dubois Member

To the best of my knowledge, the regulations only affect commercial shipments. Personal packages and traveling borders with completed instruments are exempt if memory serves. Unless you're carrying over 10 kg, or something.

16. Timtam

Timtam Member