Cites regulations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Husky, Jun 30, 2011.

1. JAP09

JAP09 Member

CITES QUESTION:

If I purchase a Brazilian rosewood fretboard instrument (pre CBS fender) from a seller in Canada who fills out the proper paperwork on his end, what action do I need to take on my end being a US resident? While I understand CITES on a big picture level, I’m very clueless on my specific circumstance. Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

Cause it's Braz, you're dealing with a different schedule of Cites and will need a Canadian Export Permit and a US Import Permit from the US Fisheries and Wildlife (not sure if that's the proper name..as I'm Canadian..) Apparently it's a 2-3 month wait from the US Side.. Just buy from the US if you can and you'll have no Cities issues. It's usually us Canadians who have have to import due to low supply. You guys in the US have awesome options!

3. Timtam

Timtam Member

The proposal to be considered at the meeting on August 17 to 28 in Geneva is now on the CITES website - Proposal 52.
    https://www.cites.org/eng/news/pr/c...imber-exotic-pets-elephants-and-more_07082019
    https://cites.org/eng/cop/18/prop/index.php

In short, it recommends that the restrictions on rosewood* trade be amended to exclude ...
    "c) finished musical instruments, finished musical instrument parts and finished musical instrument accessories;"

* Dalbergia spp., Guibourtia demeusei, Guibourtia pellegriniana, Guibourtia tessmannii (Rosewoods, Palisanders and Bubingas)

Steve_U1S, tonyhay and burningyen like this.
  4. Timtam

Timtam Member

The CITES website has just added 'Accepted 26/8/2019' to the rosewood musical instrument exemption ...
    https://www.cites.org/eng/updates_decisions_cop18_species_proposals
    (scroll down, it's proposal number 52).
    The meeting winds up today (28/8/2019).

How quickly that is disseminated to local customs authorities remains to be seen. But given the high level of awareness of the issue, one would think it might be quick. The exemption wording seems clear, so one would hope there would be no difficulties in implementation for such obvious musical instruments as guitars.

Someone with better knowledge of rosewood species can advise on whether the separate and older Brazilian rosewood restrictions are affected.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. Timtam

Timtam Member