Citique this please

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottlr, Sep 18, 2006.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

Recorded in GarageBand, mixed in Logic Express. Rhythm guitars are Strats and most of the lead is a LP through a 64 Bassman, except that from the middle to the end, a LP and Strat duel both through the 64 Bassman.
    I am especially interested in comments about the production, and what I could have done to better it.
    It's kind of long :) but I think it stays interesting along the way.
    http://home.mchsi.com/~slr-ebay/Sunday.mp3

2. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

hi-its saying link not found?

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

I think I fixed it, but I have NO IDEA why it wasn't working before.

4. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

I like it! The gear page is so sweet....

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

Thanks. Any production comments? This was mixed before I got my studio monitors, and I wish I'd have had them before it was released now.

6. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

I think that the background track could be a bit high and would like more of the hammond B3 sound. Have you tryed it down a bit? I like the vol of the lead tracks.

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

There's no Hammond B3 in it??? Just bass drums, 2 rhythm and 2 lead. Not a bad idea to have a Hammond though.

8. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

hey-workin--nice job/playin!
    -i think the guitat tones are good-im
    wondering if becuz of mic placement they're a little mid rangey?
    ive had similar problems.

overall very clean good production!

hmm.. shades of Wishboine Ash!!!!

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Thanks. What I don't like about it is that the guitars are too sharp or harsh sounding. Just a 57 in from of the cab, close mic'd. Never had that problem before, but that was on tape, this is digital. I've actually solved it with a Vox ToneLab, which sounds great for recording.
    Wishbone Ash is a favorite of mine.

10. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

your right, that was strange... I have to get out more :)

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

Nobody else? I am looking for production betterment. I actually think if I re mixed it with my new monitors, it'd be a lot better, but since I already released the CD that is sort of pointless. But any comments will help make the next CD better.

13. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

What were you using to master it? Phase correction and eq (in my limited knowledge of these things) can sometimes make the overall thing pretty smooth. (Sort of like long photographic exposures of waterfalls...)
    Composition was neat: clean, sparse but active, melodic, good timing, well played.... Production was good. Curious if the volume of the amps was low?

14. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Scott, gotta love dueling leads.

At first I thought the lead was too much "in front", but the more I listened to it the better I like it.

I didn't think B-3 until BrandonT mentioned it, the I thought what a great addition to the backing.

Personlly, when I record, Ilike to use a condenser room mic and a 57 at the speaker, then pan those tracks.

Overall I thought it was very, very good. I always enjoy your clips.

15. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I love the way it is set up and how the two tracks work together. Personally I am not a big fan of how the lead guitar sounds but that is probably a personal preference. Maybe to 'synth' sounding??

16. scottlr

scottlr Member

Thanks for the kind words! I just mastered it using Logic. This was my first recording project using digital. Amp is a 64 Bassman close mic'd with a 57 and real loud, and probably a mild OD setting with a Route 66 OD pedal. Loud enough to get controlled feedback, and make my little ankle-biters run for cover. :) Same setup i always used on tape, but to me, the guitars have a harshness I don't like. Too much pick chirping, too. Not sure if that is what was meant by "synth sounding".

I have since started doing my recording with a Vox ToneLab, mostly so my wife doesn't complain about the noise, and so I can track late nights. I am getting a much smoother sounding track using it than when I mic the amps. I tried a lot of combinations, but almost always seemed to get that harshness I didn't like. I tried EQing it out of the tracks, but that didn't sound good. I tried changing mic placement further and further away, and recording at low volume. The only thing I didn't try was 2 mics.

Someday, just for fun, I might dupe the song and remix it now that I have good monitors. But mostly, I tend to just move forward and chaulk it up as experience.

17. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I think two mics with digital is the way to go. When you pan the tracks it gives dimension to the sound and helps with "too much in front" issues.

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

Keep in mind, I'm listening on cheesy headphones.

The double lead gtrs after the intro sound a tad loud in comparison. I get the shock & awe value but see how it sounds keeping the intro and the begining section at relatively same volumes.

Any chance of adding some fills to the drums intro-ing sections? Might spice it up a bit.

All-in-all good job.

19. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yeah, some good suggestions. But like I said, the CD's already been released, so it'd just be for me, really. Perhaps if by some chance I strike gold, I can remix for a best of LOL

Much of this was happy accidents. The harmonies weren't planned, but sort of fell into place. The changes were mostly the only thing planned. Some of the riffs were thought out in advance, but a larger portion were just improvised on the fly. I tend to do this a lot, then find something I like. Then if I want to play it out, I have to sit down and learn the parts like somebody else did it LOL

Yeah, if I ever get to record my amp again I am going to work on that. My studio is in the basement, which also has the family room in it. In the summer, my wife pretty much lives out on the 3 seasons porch, but as soon as it gets cold, she moves to the family room for the winter. So, I'll be doing most of my tracks under the phones with the ToneLab until spring.